Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 6:34 pm

Poll: Welllllll???
This poll is closed.
yes
5.56%
3 5.56%
no
62.96%
34 62.96%
other
31.48%
17 31.48%
Total 54 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you wish God was real?
RE: Do you wish God was real?
Meh, I'm no more interested in your "new" muslim god than I was in the "old" muslim god.. and for the same reasons in both cases.  They don't seem as different to me, as they apparently seem to you.   Perhaps I had a softer, gentler conception of the "old" muslim god than you did to begin with?  

Imagine that...lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Only if I were him.
(June 25, 2015 at 2:18 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Hello everyone, I have another question for all you fine folks of AF.

Do you wish there was a God?

It doesn't have to be the God of Abraham. But just A God. Some supernatural supreme being out there who created us and loves us.... Do you wish that was real or do you prefer the idea of nothing like that existing?

Please explain why or why not.

One would have to assume that you are speaking of a 'participating' god.  A god that just created this universe and went on it's merry way would have no effect.  However, a participating god that has the intention of presenting everlasting life would condemn us to boredom or slavery.

My answer is an emphatic, NO.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(July 18, 2015 at 12:25 am)Muad·Dib Wrote: RE: Do you wish God was real?

Only if I were him.

Same issue here.  The concept of forever is difficult to comprehend, but think about it, even as a god, what would you do forever?  Would you have the option of ending the boredom?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Do you wish God was real?
IATIA Wrote:Same issue here.  The concept of forever is difficult to comprehend, but think about it, even as a god, what would you do forever?  Would you have the option of ending the boredom?

I don't know. But I'd like to find out. Wink
(July 17, 2015 at 10:49 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I want to say something regarding this topic.

If the God I believed in was the same God I believed once due to my understanding of Islam, I would not want such a God to exist.

If it's how Atheists in general understand the Islamic God, I would not want to exist either.

However, there is unseen laughter, divine sorrow, and a balance of love and justice with mercy preceding wrath, that I've come to understand the verse "And no one will enter it (hell) except the most wicked" while the infinite worlds as God's blessed Name with his wisdom manifesting through out.

The God we have is indeed cool, life is cool, and it's really cool on how he tests us to bring about the best in us and the trial is but a fleeting moment while it's reward is immense and everlasting.
The Islamic fairy tale says that most of the people in hell will be women.  Since men typically do the most crimes how does the Islamic deity condemn more women to hell for being wicked instead of the obvious criminal men?  I suppose that just shows how stupid women really are to worship such a crazy deity in the first place.
I would be okay with a god who actually loved us (instead of just contradicting himself and lying all the time) and who protected the innocent from harm (like, not letting African children starve to death), and who didn't punish us for all eternity for behaving the way he created us to behave (i.e with free will), and who actually proved that he existed by coming down and hanging out with us once in a while.  It would be nice to know that there was someone there to catch me if I ever slipped off a cliff edge or got caught in a burning building.
(July 21, 2015 at 5:52 am)AtheistAspie Wrote: I would be okay with a god who actually loved us (instead of just contradicting himself and lying all the time) and who protected the innocent from harm (like, not letting African children starve to death), and who didn't punish us for all eternity for behaving the way he created us to behave (i.e with free will), and who actually proved that he existed by coming down and hanging out with us once in a while.  It would be nice to know that there was someone there to catch me if I ever slipped off a cliff edge or got caught in a burning building.

Are you sure you haven't mixed God up with Superman!  hehe
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Viz:

At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(July 21, 2015 at 6:01 am)ignoramus Wrote:
(July 21, 2015 at 5:52 am)AtheistAspie Wrote: I would be okay with a god who actually loved us (instead of just contradicting himself and lying all the time) and who protected the innocent from harm (like, not letting African children starve to death), and who didn't punish us for all eternity for behaving the way he created us to behave (i.e with free will), and who actually proved that he existed by coming down and hanging out with us once in a while.  It would be nice to know that there was someone there to catch me if I ever slipped off a cliff edge or got caught in a burning building.

Are you sure you haven't mixed God up with Superman!  hehe

Good point, I don't want God, I want Superman!  Or the X-Men, hanging out with Professor X and Wolverine would be epic Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 209 13360 June 12, 2024 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 59 4929 June 12, 2024 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  Do you wish there's a god? Catharsis 580 48721 April 10, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4840 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  His wish sounds familiar purplepurpose 1 939 November 16, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Proof that God is not real? ComradeMeow 6 2542 August 5, 2017 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  I wish I had yall on Facebook mlmooney89 115 17352 August 5, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Wish purplepurpose 33 3573 June 11, 2016 at 2:31 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Who is the assholiest Theist you've met in REAL LIFE? bambi_swag 82 18701 October 7, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Good News God is real, woo hoo!!!! Manowar 7 3980 August 13, 2015 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72