Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 2, 2024, 4:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence: The Gathering
RE: Evidence: The Gathering
(July 20, 2015 at 9:01 pm)Esquilax Wrote: ...you've got a picture of a shroud, that you're convinced is the shroud... for no readily apparent reason. Or did you think human silhouettes on cloth are unique to the shroud of turin?
The iconic pictures of the shroud depict unique damage found the one at Turin.
So the pictures of the shroud that we all know are pictures of the shroud. And..?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(July 20, 2015 at 9:12 pm)IATIA Wrote:  The shroud of turin is not extremely distorted, therefore is was never wrapped around a body to achieve the end result.
Actually, that is not true The image is distorted and only recently was a team of forensic researchers able to use computer modeling to reconstruct it.
Got a citation for that so we can look it up?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(July 21, 2015 at 9:52 am)ChadWooters Wrote:
(July 20, 2015 at 9:01 pm)Esquilax Wrote: ...you've got a picture of a shroud, that you're convinced is the shroud... for no readily apparent reason. Or did you think human silhouettes on cloth are unique to the shroud of turin?
The iconic pictures of the shroud depict unique damage found the one at Turin.

Which you know is unique because...?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
What's the shroud supposed to show anyway? That there was a dead guy on it? A dead human guy?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(July 21, 2015 at 7:19 am)Metis Wrote: Before I ask one of the admins about the debate area, will it just be you or perhaps Randy, Catholic_Lady or one of your other fellow believers would like to join in as well?
I think it best not to confuse things too much by bringing in additional parties beyond what is necessary. Keeping a philosophical argument as simple and elegant as possible is difficult enough as it is.

I haven't yet engaged in a formal debate on this forum so I also will need to learn for format and rules. We need to have a moderator, Nestor would be ideal (IMO) but I think only admins can serve in that capacity.

The proposal needs to reflect the scope of Aquinas's argument, i.e. the god to which the proof applies being the 'God of the Philosophers'. I certainly do not want to argue for the any other attributes than those specifically related to each of the proofs, which in the case of the 1st way is a transcendent ground of being. That said the 5 ways work together and if we agree to do all 5 at once, we need to allow more time between responses.
Special pleading and non sequiturs.

Have fun Metis, you're braver than me Tongue

PS: anyone can bring that aquinas business into my apologist challenge thread if they want me to dismember it. But I won't steal your thunder if you're gonna debate it!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(July 21, 2015 at 10:33 am)ChadWooters Wrote:
(July 21, 2015 at 7:19 am)Metis Wrote: Before I ask one of the admins about the debate area, will it just be you or perhaps Randy, Catholic_Lady or one of your other fellow believers would like to join in as well?
I think it best not to confuse things too much by bringing in additional parties beyond what is necessary. Keeping a philosophical argument as simple and elegant as possible is difficult enough as it is.

I haven't yet engaged in a formal debate on this forum so I also will need to learn for format and rules. We need to have a moderator, Nestor would be ideal (IMO) but I think only admins can serve in that capacity.

The proposal needs to reflect the scope of Aquinas's argument, i.e. the god to which the proof applies being the 'God of the Philosophers'. I certainly do not want to argue for the any other attributes than those specifically related to each of the proofs, which in the case of the 1st way is a transcendent ground of being. That said the 5 ways work together and if we agree to do all 5 at once, we need to allow more time between responses.
FWIW I believe the participants set the ground rules within the general context of the normal Forum rules. So long as they agree on the rules as made explicit before hand then there shouldn't be an issue.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(July 21, 2015 at 10:33 am)ChadWooters Wrote:

Chad - it takes an admin to set up a debate, but my reading of the debate area rules seems to imply that any mutually agreed upon third party can act as moderator.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4990 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 39250 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29316 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 21222 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6166 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 248349 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 139285 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  With Science and Archaeology and Miracle's evidence for God TheThinkingCatholic 35 11445 September 20, 2015 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
Exclamation Us Athiests v. Sid Roth: Where Is The Evidence, Sid! A Lucid Dreaming Atheist 4 2947 August 3, 2015 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Magic: The Gathering KevinM1 12 4422 July 21, 2015 at 4:38 am
Last Post: abaris