Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 1:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism the unscientific belief (part one, two, and three)
RE: Atheism the unscientific believe.
(August 10, 2015 at 6:29 am)robvalue Wrote: Still not using the correct definition of atheism.

This is a bold level of dishonesty. You're on an atheist forum, you think we're not going to notice?

People with solid arguments don't need to misrepresent their opponent's position to make their case.

People who have solid arguments can usually read and write pretty well, too...
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
I made it to page 19 before my brain gave up. I was trying to read but my brain had been rejecting so much of what Rik wrote that it simply started rejecting every word in his posts. The level of ignorance and arrogance is astounding.
Sum ergo sum
(August 10, 2015 at 8:42 am)Redbeard The Pink Wrote:
(August 10, 2015 at 6:29 am)robvalue Wrote: Still not using the correct definition of atheism.

This is a bold level of dishonesty. You're on an atheist forum, you think we're not going to notice?

People with solid arguments don't need to misrepresent their opponent's position to make their case.

People who have solid arguments can usually read and write pretty well, too...

In Rik's defense, though, English is not his first language (he's Italian from what I gathered)... So before giving any judgements of any kind I'd like to see how he writes in Italian.

But my expectations are not the highest, and I really hope he surprises me.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
It really is a shame, because we have a wealth of educated and intelligent people here, covering many fields, from which someone could learn an awful lot. But someone who has made up their mind about everything can learn nothing.

Cue tu-quoque strawman...
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I know I'm going to regret this but I can't let it go without comment:

(August 9, 2015 at 9:22 am)Little Rik Wrote: Energy and consciousness always go hand in hand like the pages in sheet of paper.
Rocks got energy within so there got to be consciousness in it.

You like to talk cars, so let's go with that. Internal combustion engines work by energy exchange, from chemical to mechanical via heat, with sound and light (within the piston chamber) and excess heat produced as waste. Your equation that energy always equals consciousness must mean that car engines are alive, in the sentient sense. Or take the braking system: mechanical energy applies frictional energy to the discs, generating heat and, in many cases, sound. Are brakes aware? Maybe that's why brakes squeal, because every time you touch that pedal it hurts them.

Or maybe we can drop the childish game of "consciousness is energy, therefore energy is consciousness, therefore everything containing energy must be conscious."
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 10, 2015 at 10:11 am)Stimbo Wrote: Or maybe we can drop the childish game of "consciousness is energy, therefore energy is consciousness, therefore everything containing energy must be conscious."
No no no. Let's not drop that. I want to see how far he's willing to take that idea.
(August 10, 2015 at 3:24 am)Little Rik Wrote:
(August 9, 2015 at 10:44 am)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: You can't even keep straight who you're talking to. I never made any of those statements you simpleton. But, when you made the claim that water always joins up to make larger bodies, I pointed out evaporation. You promptly ignored this. When you asked for an instance of rivers not joining oceans, I gave you the Colorado River, dry wash for much of it's last 50 miles or so of riverbed. This too was promptly ignored. You claim we present no evidence when it's you dismissing it out of hand, without consideration. That makes you liar every time you claim "I'm all ears!" because you're not.

You are very funny Snake.
Evaporation is a temporary brake for the water to end up in the ocean.
Sooner or later the clouds will piss down again and guess what?
That water that evaporate and form the clouds will at the end end up in the ocean anyway.
The same thing will happen for your river.
In part the water evaporate, in part may well sink down under the ground and end up in the ocean
anyway so where is your evidence that not all the time water end up in the ocean?
By the way you well may keep that liar for yourself.
Have a good day Snake.  Smile

And now you: [Image: goalposts.gif]

Your dishonesty is showing again.

I've noticed that, like water off a ducks back, knowledge simply rolls off you.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(August 10, 2015 at 4:49 am)Little Rik Wrote: My believes are based on results.

Your "believes" are based on woo and wishful thinking.
(August 10, 2015 at 6:29 am)robvalue Wrote: People with solid arguments don't need to misrepresent their opponent's position to make their case.

Which explains perfectly why Rikki needs to misrepresent their opponent's position.
Indeed.

You can't "defeat" a weak atheist in any shape or form, because they make no positive claims.

That makes it very hard for people (the people that bother to understand the above point anyway) because they want atheism to be making claims, so they can thwart those claims and make themselves feel better. So they tell atheists what kind of atheists they are (strong atheists as a minimum) and then add on what they believe are the logical consequences of the belief. They then merrily back away at this effigy, and after "defeating" it, they think they've somehow proven atheism wrong. All they've done is made a mess in their bedroom.

Strong atheism is very easy to defend anyway, but the point is that people like Rik require everyone to be strong atheists so they can attack "atheism". They also require them to be philosophical naturalists, which is actually quite rare in my experience. I'll let Rik explain what that means.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2941 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6858 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2899 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Philosophical Failures of Christian Apologetics, Part 11: The Holy Spirit Cepheus Ace 18 3125 June 22, 2020 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Belief in God is a clinic Interaktive 55 5977 April 1, 2019 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: LostLocke
  Is atheism a belief? Agnostico 1023 88745 March 16, 2019 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Catharsis
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3601 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5389 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Two Myths I Wish Atheists Would Stop Buying Into Rhondazvous 26 4841 June 7, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 26156 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic