Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 9:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your thoughts on Satanism and the petition for a Satanic statue.
RE: Your thoughts on Satanism and the petition for a Satanic statue.
(September 10, 2015 at 1:13 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(September 10, 2015 at 1:05 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Yes, this. Exactly this. I don't care about other people's religious symbols and statues. I do care about deliberate hateful/bigoted behavior towards any particular group of people.

Its there to make a point and part of that point is that you find it offensive. But I risk repeating what has been said before.

Yes, but the difference is that it's offensive only because it is deliberately meant to be. Not because it's something different from what I believe.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(September 10, 2015 at 1:00 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: When I see picture of Ganesh a shrine to the Buddha, I could care less about their false pagan gods but I still understand that they may feel very deeply about their beliefs and I can respect their piety. If a local government wishes to honor the contributions of various religious traditions to our civil society then I’m fine with that too. I’m not even offended by other believers considering my religion heretical if the goal of their faith is knowledge of a loving God and seek good.

The whole point of a Satanic monument is to offend. The mock believers only want to instigate controversy and express their contempt for what sincere believers consider sacred. It’s a thinly disguised attempt to deface public space with an intentionally insulting message. They what to have a laugh but really they are just being cunts. And I have no respect for their apologists because they relish the idea of bigotry against people of faith.

The cunts, in my opinion, are the Christians who pretend they don't understand that the purpose behind the Satanic monument is to expose the double standard that prevails when it comes to using public space to erect religious monuments. I'd be happy to see all such monuments placed on private land where it belongs. But until then, turnabout is fair play.

Still, it's nice that you're so open-minded that you would suffer the existence of shrines or monuments to "false pagan gods", especially since the rest of us have been putting up with your crosses and the monuments honoring your false god a long time.
(September 10, 2015 at 1:15 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(September 10, 2015 at 1:13 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Its there to make a point and part of that point is that you find it offensive. But I risk repeating what has been said before.

Yes, but the difference is that it's offensive only because it is deliberately meant to be. Not because it's something different from what I believe.

Hmm let me see. The ten commandments plaque was in a place where it is not supposed to be because it should be a religious neutral area in order to not show bias. that it was there was a deliberate affront to every non-Christian and is part of a sustained attack on non-christians that happens in some of the more backwards parts of the US. The satanist statue was there to say "how do you like it". I'm not sure I can put it any clearer than this.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(September 10, 2015 at 1:23 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(September 10, 2015 at 1:15 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Yes, but the difference is that it's offensive only because it is deliberately meant to be. Not because it's something different from what I believe.

Hmm let me see. The ten commandments plaque was in a place where it is not supposed to be because it should be a religious neutral area in order to not show bias. that it was there was a deliberate affront to every non-Christian and is part of a sustained attack on non-christians that happens in some of the more backwards parts of the US. The satanist statue was there to say "how do you like it". I'm not sure I can put it any clearer than this.

And I don't know how to put what I said any more clearer, either. You're comparing apples to oranges. I wouldn't mind it if there was a Buddha there, instead of the 10 commandments. I do mind the Satanic statue because it is deliberately meant to offend.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(September 10, 2015 at 1:39 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I do mind the Satanic statue because it is deliberately meant to offend.

Yes, big fat YES. That's the intent. Call it offensive, I rather call it provocative. It's meant to draw attention to the discussion. And it succeeded where words alone wouldn't have been enough. It got media attention and started a discussion over what shouldn't be displayed on public ground. A discussion that ultimately led to a verdict to remove the ten commandments.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The 10 commandments is a deliberate effort to offend those who have the intellectual wherewithal to formulate their own morality no less than a statue of satan is meant to offend those misanthropic enough to think just because they need a lunatic fantasy to prevent themselves from becoming psychopaths, everyone else must bow down before their lunatic fantasy.

The Christian cross is a deliberate effort to offend those who have enough self respect to not believe every person inherited some original "sin" that needed "redeeming" by some Iron Age layabout lunatic who fancies himself to be savior, god, and fucker of his own mother, no less than the statue of satan is meant to offend those who would insult everyone better than themselves by insinuating their betters too need to be "saved" just like their own sorry ass.
(September 10, 2015 at 2:01 pm)abaris Wrote:
(September 10, 2015 at 1:39 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I do mind the Satanic statue because it is deliberately meant to offend.

Yes, big fat YES. That's the intent. Call it offensive, I rather call it provocative. It's meant to draw attention to the discussion. And it succeeded where words alone wouldn't have been enough. It got media attention and started a discussion over what shouldn't be displayed on public ground. A discussion that ultimately led to a verdict to remove the ten commandments.

This is the point.  Explaining that the Ten Commandments, which are mostly religious rather than secular moral ones is offensive to atheists and people of other religions falls on deaf ears.  Offending Christians in the very same way is effective.  Result, not religious  or anti religious monuments on government owned space.  Win, win.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(September 10, 2015 at 1:39 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(September 10, 2015 at 1:23 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Hmm let me see. The ten commandments plaque was in a place where it is not supposed to be because it should be a religious neutral area in order to not show bias. that it was there was a deliberate affront to every non-Christian and is part of a sustained attack on non-christians that happens in some of the more backwards parts of the US. The satanist statue was there to say "how do you like it". I'm not sure I can put it any clearer than this.

And I don't know how to put what I said any more clearer, either. You're comparing apples to oranges. I wouldn't mind it if there was a Buddha there, instead of the 10 commandments. I do mind the Satanic statue because it is deliberately meant to offend.

But this isn't about you; it's about the groups who actually erect the monuments in the first place, and about the people who decided it was OK to put up the Ten Commandments, but are having a problem with the Hindus and Satanists that who want the same treatment.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(September 10, 2015 at 1:39 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: And I don't know how to put what I said any more clearer, either. You're comparing apples to oranges. I wouldn't mind it if there was a Buddha there, instead of the 10 commandments. I do mind the Satanic statue because it is deliberately meant to offend.

Not according to the Satanists:
[reposting the quote I've already posted]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sata...84e2765fd5
Quote:The Satanic Temple said it wants to build a memorial to the "various historical witch hunts," the "persecuted free-thinkers" and the "'heretics' who helped inform American secular jurisprudence."

An inscription on the Baphomet statue would read, "Be it known to all that this statue commemorates the history of law in the United States of America. From the deplorable Satanic Witch Hunts, the cherished doctrines of due process, presumption of innocence and the protection of minorities from the tyranny of mob rule became part of the established foundation of American jurisprudence."

That you are interpreting their actions as deliberately meaning to offend is contrary to their stated reason. That is also has the effect of revealing the hypocrisy of the Arkansas state lawmakers is an extra added bonus.

And I disagree that comparing the two monuments is comparing apple to oranges. Despite whatever reasons anyone may have for erecting a monument on state grounds, if one religion is allowed to do so then every other religion is legally allowed to do so. Saying one groups shouldn't be allowed their monument because they're just being mean is completely beside the point - disallowing the "mean" monument would then be showing favoritism and that violates the establishment clause.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
While I totally agree with the Satanist, is just me or are they doing this rather childishly?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanism seems fun FrustratedFool 50 3091 August 24, 2023 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Petition UK Government Xygov 1 642 September 27, 2021 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Your thoughts on John Gray? Foxaèr 12 3247 May 14, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What are your thoughts on Richard Dawkins? NuclearEnergy 96 13524 December 6, 2017 at 3:06 am
Last Post: Bow Before Zeus
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 27903 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 13208 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Thoughts Torin 2 1042 August 18, 2016 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Remove Bishops from House of Lords - Petition Mr Greene 19 2156 February 9, 2016 at 10:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My thoughts on deepak chopra dyresand 4 1551 October 24, 2015 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Thoughts on origins Kingpin 54 8672 August 12, 2015 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude