Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 8:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10
RE: Windows 10
(September 28, 2015 at 3:22 pm)emjay Wrote: What do you think of Civ5 then?

More complex. Big Grin
(September 28, 2015 at 3:22 pm)emjay Wrote: Ah, got it working now - just turn off all the animations and stuff and it doesn't crash  Big Grin

Graphics is the biggest problem with any type of emulator which was one of the reasons for suggesting a USB key. They are a pain to setup, no doubt, but you would be running natively.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(September 28, 2015 at 5:24 pm)IATIA Wrote:
(September 28, 2015 at 3:22 pm)emjay Wrote: Ah, got it working now - just turn off all the animations and stuff and it doesn't crash  Big Grin

Graphics is the biggest problem with any type of emulator which was one of the reasons for suggesting a USB key.  They are a pain to setup, no doubt, but you would be running natively.

Yeah, as a general rule I don't have much faith in emulators; expecting them to be slow, resource-hungry, and have compatibility problems. But here just for the sake of one or two programs it seemed a better idea. And this one is really fast. It's no loss to me in this particular game because I usually played with those features turned off anyway (they were just annoying little videos). But if the same problem happens in any other games/programs I put on then I'll look into the USB idea, cos I should be able to activate this XP a couple more times if I'm lucky. USB would be good because it would protect the SSD as well, but to be honest I never even knew you could do that - run an entire OS from a pen drive. I thought pen drives weren't good for that sort of thing because they themselves are almost the precursors to SSDs, and likely to wear out even quicker, especially with all the writes of metadata in NTFS?
(September 28, 2015 at 6:00 pm)emjay Wrote: Yeah, as a general rule I don't have much faith in emulators; expecting them to be slow, resource-hungry, and have compatibility problems.

Nothing has really changed much on that note except the computers now days are fast enough to compensate for the overhead.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(September 28, 2015 at 6:00 pm)emjay Wrote: I thought pen drives weren't good for that sort of thing because they themselves are almost the precursors to SSDs, and likely to wear out even quicker, especially with all the writes of metadata in NTFS?

As cheap as they are now, who cares? You could always format FAT32. XP can handle that.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(September 29, 2015 at 8:10 pm)IATIA Wrote:
(September 28, 2015 at 6:00 pm)emjay Wrote: I thought pen drives weren't good for that sort of thing because they themselves are almost the precursors to SSDs, and likely to wear out even quicker, especially with all the writes of metadata in NTFS?

As cheap as they are now, who cares?   You could always format FAT32.  XP can handle that.
(emphasis is mine)

Yep. I just bought a 128G class 10 micro SD for $18. 64G USB 2.0 thumb drives at Newegg starting at $10.99 with free shipping. 64G USB 3.0 thumb drives starting at around $20, with shipping.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
I have been using Windows 10, and I have not experienced any problems.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(September 28, 2015 at 9:46 pm)IATIA Wrote:
(September 28, 2015 at 6:00 pm)emjay Wrote: Yeah, as a general rule I don't have much faith in emulators; expecting them to be slow, resource-hungry, and have compatibility problems.

Nothing has really changed much on that note except the computers now days are fast enough to compensate for the overhead.

Well, there is some.limited video acceleration available as an option in VirtualBox... But it's not going to run as well as natively in any case. It's also important to note that the only things that are being emulated in a VM are hardware devices (which for games is a big deal, not so much for most everything else).
(September 29, 2015 at 8:10 pm)IATIA Wrote:

As cheap as they are now, who cares?   You could always format FAT32.  XP can handle that.

Ugh. No thanks.

I don't think it's going to matter on something in this use case.

SSDs use wear leveling algorithms for longevity though, I don't think SD cards bother because in most cases, there just isn't enough I/O to matter. Might not matter on a typical consumer system, but I wouldn't use a SD card for primary storage on anything important.
You'll notice that good usb thumb drives are getting faster. Soon, they be designed the same way as ssd's.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows Crazy Shit Fireball 17 487 May 25, 2024 at 6:56 am
Last Post: The Magic Pudding.
  Windows defender has, once again, incorrectly identified my program as malware! FlatAssembler 36 1702 February 22, 2024 at 9:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  [Serious] Windows Movie Maker Help T.J. 6 752 November 29, 2021 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: AniKoferBo
  Windows Security plus Win 11 Oldandeasilyconfused 2 382 November 25, 2021 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Windows 11. Install it; Yes/ No/Wait Oldandeasilyconfused 24 2383 November 10, 2021 at 10:52 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Windows 11? Angrboda 29 2601 September 23, 2021 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: no one
  Anybody ever run Windows 10 on server hardware? popeyespappy 1 556 November 6, 2019 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Why isn't Android more serious contender to Windows? Fake Messiah 8 939 June 20, 2019 at 6:21 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Getting a Windows 98 game to run on modern windows vulcanlogician 23 2401 January 19, 2019 at 7:09 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  HELP! The Page Breaks in All My Documents Have Disappeared in Windows 2013 Rhondazvous 18 4023 January 9, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Mermaid