Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 7:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
RE: Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
Your premise, Delicate, seems to be that atheist critique is meaningless for coming from an atheist.

Why then do you come here seeking it?

(October 25, 2015 at 3:30 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(October 25, 2015 at 3:05 pm)Delicate Wrote:

If religious nitwits actually thought that it was good for people to be religious they wouldn't fight and kill people who have different religions than theirs.  All religious nitwits want everyone to be in the same cult that they are in.  But some religious nitwits are such  bigots that they hate other people who are in their cult because they are of a different race.
http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_law...3_03a.html

We either eat MY sky cake, or nobody eats at all! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55h1FO8V_3w
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(October 25, 2015 at 3:49 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: Your premise, Delicate, seems to be that atheist critique is meaningless for coming from an atheist.

That's all I got out of that. Even the overt definition of the core doctrines of the Christian church are meaningless if critiqued by an atheist. It's the ultimate defense... just define your enemies out of existence, and then say whatever you like because you don't have to listen to anyone who might point out the gaping flaws in your bullshit.

I think someone's just playing word games so they can keep slapping labels on atheists instead of listening to them... which does, indeed, beg the question of "why do you come here seeking it?"

If you want to preach and be ignored, just grab a bullhorn and stand on a street corner with a painted plywood sign on your chest, like all the other nutjobs.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 25, 2015 at 3:49 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: Your premise, Delicate, seems to be that atheist critique is meaningless for coming from an atheist.

That's not my premise at all.

Rather my premise is that "An atheistic critique of theistic claims, feeble as they have been (see the posts on this forum), does not amount to evidence that there is a cornucopia of core doctrinal differences BETWEEN CHRISTIANS."

Put another way, if the point is "There are soo many core doctrinal differences between Christians, bro," you can't point to an atheistic critique as evidence.
(October 25, 2015 at 3:05 pm)Delicate Wrote: But since you brought it up, tell me, what are the different views on what it takes to get to heaven?

Can I get to heaven through good deeds, or am I locked out because I lack faith? Am I going to hell because I'm an atheist, or am I just going to be separated from god? Purgatory? What's hell like? Can practitioners of different religions get into heaven? Can practitioners of different sects of christianity get into heaven? How are sins interpreted by god? If you're saved once, are you always, or does it fade?

I have heard both answers to every one of those questions from christians. Each and every one of them acted as though the opposing answer was simply foolish. So, is this central tenet of christianity, that you labelled "of utmost importance," in another thread just another "peripheral doctrine"?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Quote: The fact that most of the atheists here are (still!) too ignorant to even make a distinction between between core and peripheral doctrine,

Maybe we just don't give a flying fuck.  The only one who seems to care about your bullshit is you.

Provide evidence that it is real...if you can.
I pointed to the Creed as a way of showing you that 1) we do know what the core beliefs are, contrary to your claim, and 2) we do discuss them routinely, contrary to your claim.

This other issue of whether Christians argue over core doctrines is a separate issue, but one which has also been answered in numerous threads, including this one.

As I said before, name a "core doctrine" on which Christians agree 100%, in your mind, and we will show you that your claim isn't true.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 25, 2015 at 4:33 pm)Delicate Wrote: That's not my premise at all.

Rather my premise is that "An atheistic critique of theistic claims, feeble as they have been (see the posts on this forum), does not amount to evidence that there is a cornucopia of core doctrinal differences BETWEEN CHRISTIANS."

Put another way, if the point is "There are soo many core doctrinal differences between Christians, bro," you can't point to an atheistic critique as evidence.

Yeah, toss that word salad. Dodgy

What?
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
(October 18, 2015 at 9:14 pm)Delicate Wrote: I suppose any theist who has read this part of the forum has to chuckle at how terrible atheist critiques of theism are.

Give me an example, please.

But I find that the vast majority of people I know who profess a religion (i.e. they say they're catholic) are deeply ignorant of the religion they are supposedly members of. Most have had sex outside marriage, most have used contraception, some are divorced, very few go to mass or confession and so on almost ad infinitum. Needless to say all of these are strictly verboten to the point of excommunication.

From talking to my fellow atheists, I find that there is one common thread amongst those who've given up religion and that is that they know the religion they've left in depth (and probably have studied others) to a far greater extent than their religious friends and neighbours*. But, while it is very common for those atheists who were brought up arreligiously to be better at religion than the religious, there are a few who've never developed the interest in looking at religion.

*It's actually a hypothesis of mine that the first necessary step in giving up religion is the proper study and understanding of it.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(October 25, 2015 at 4:33 pm)Delicate Wrote: Rather my premise is that "An atheistic critique of theistic claims, feeble as they have been (see the posts on this forum), does not amount to evidence that there is a cornucopia of core doctrinal differences BETWEEN CHRISTIANS."

Yes? So I'm curious if you believe Roman Catholics, Mormons and Evangelicals to sing in the same quire. And please don't serve the bullshit of Catholics not being christians, as some others constantly do to dodge the bullet.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How atheists can enjoy religion Ahriman 100 9566 September 5, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Todji812
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 23629 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 14774 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11730 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5271 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Exposing the Intellectual Bankruptcy of Atheists Criticizing Religion Delicate 500 120372 January 5, 2016 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20892 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Why I think atheists should not reject all religious text. boothj1985 65 16718 December 7, 2014 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Nope
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 56396 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11641 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar