Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 11:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
RE: Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
Is a baptism considered legitimate if it's performed on an infant? Does one even have to be baptized to get to Heaven or does one gain entrance through grace alone? Is simply accepting the Holy Spirit considered baptism? Or is actual immersion required?

Before you dismiss these as minor differences, consider what's at stake according to those who believe it.
My bet is you'll find different answers depending on which Christian you ask and which denomination they adhere to.

Don't worry though, I'm sure that's not a discrepancy cos gymnastics. Dodgy
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
(October 25, 2015 at 11:18 pm)Starvald Demelain Wrote: My bet is you'll find different answers depending on which Christian you ask and which denomination they adhere to.

Don't worry though, I'm sure that's not a discrepancy cos gymnastics. Dodgy
You're correct.
The pathway to salvation is a big fucking deal, is it not?
(October 25, 2015 at 10:58 pm)Starvald Demelain Wrote:
(October 25, 2015 at 10:34 pm)Delicate Wrote: Which denomination says that good deeds are necessary or sufficient to get you to heaven? Which denomination says practitioners of different religions get into heaven? And which denominations say other sects of Christianity don't get into heaven? 

There's 40,000 denominations, atheists love telling me. There's sooo muchhhh doctrinal differences atheists love telling me. Now give me some specifics! 

Convince me this is more than an atheist fairytale. I want to believe.

Do you not know how to use google?  Dodgy

A comparison of the main 7, and a Q&A from Church Relevance.

Do you not know how to post something relevant to the actual discussion?  Dodgy

Sorry, I shouldn't be mean.

Whoa! Great post! You're the king of posts!
(October 25, 2015 at 10:38 pm)Delicate Wrote: And then they want to appeal to "science." 

Would be funny if atheists actually read any peer-reviewed scientific literature!

Are you fucking kidding me  with this shit?!?

Several members of this board work in the sciences and/or medical field, and several more of us have degrees in science or science-related fields. We routinely cite to journal literature directly in our discussions, here. I'm not sure what you could possibly mean by this except to sling a big ol' chimpanzee handful of poo in our direction, while screeching and showing your teeth.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 25, 2015 at 10:34 pm)Delicate Wrote:
(October 25, 2015 at 4:36 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Can I get to heaven through good deeds, or am I locked out because I lack faith? Am I going to hell because I'm an atheist, or am I just going to be separated from god? Purgatory? What's hell like? Can practitioners of different religions get into heaven? Can practitioners of different sects of christianity get into heaven? How are sins interpreted by god? If you're saved once, are you always, or does it fade?

I have heard both answers to every one of those questions from christians. Each and every one of them acted as though the opposing answer was simply foolish. So, is this central tenet of christianity, that you labelled "of utmost importance," in another thread just another "peripheral doctrine"?

Which denomination says that good deeds are necessary or sufficient to get you to heaven? Which denomination says practitioners of different religions get into heaven? And which denominations say other sects of Christianity don't get into heaven? 

There's 40,000 denominations, atheists love telling me. There's sooo muchhhh doctrinal differences atheists love telling me. Now give me some specifics! 

Convince me this is more than an atheist fairytale. I want to believe.

Some variety of Amish schismed over hat brim width.

Really.

God, I love that one, I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't have a hat with a brim of any sort.  Not that it matters to (some of? ) His followers.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

You made a post over whining over atheist "fairy tales" about doctrinal differences, as if it weren't common knowledge easily obtained over the internet. Since you evidently can't utilize it, I supplied two quick references.

If you want to be a cunt and bury that delicate head of yours then cool.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
(October 25, 2015 at 10:34 pm)Delicate Wrote: Which denomination says that good deeds are necessary or sufficient to get you to heaven? Which denomination says practitioners of different religions get into heaven? And which denominations say other sects of Christianity don't get into heaven? 

Are you truly asserting that if christianity is so schismatic and fractured that core beliefs vary between individual christians as opposed to denominations, that your position is somehow improved? Despite your position relying on the precise opposite claim?

Quote:There's 40,000 denominations, atheists love telling me. There's sooo muchhhh doctrinal differences atheists love telling me. Now give me some specifics! 

And if we were to expand that number into the millions- which is what you're asking here- it is your belief that this helps you somehow?

Quote:Convince me this is more than an atheist fairytale. I want to believe.

So essentially, you've entered into this discussion in bad faith and are willing to accuse me of lying about discussions I've had with others despite not knowing me. Good to know.

Incidentally, are you going to come out and tell us how one differentiates core beliefs from peripheral ones, or will that remain the fairytale you tell yourself to define a problem out of existence just as dishonestly as how you're conducting this conversation?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(October 25, 2015 at 11:56 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote:
(October 25, 2015 at 10:38 pm)Delicate Wrote: And then they want to appeal to "science." 

Would be funny if atheists actually read any peer-reviewed scientific literature!

Are you fucking kidding me  with this shit?!?

Several members of this board work in the sciences and/or medical field, and several more of us have degrees in science or science-related fields. We routinely cite to journal literature directly in our discussions, here. I'm not sure what you could possibly mean by this except to sling a big ol' chimpanzee handful of poo in our direction, while screeching and showing your teeth.

Remind me of this post the next time half-dozen times someone wipes the drool off their chin to moan "word salad" or "obfuscation" because I drew a distinction nobody else has thought to make before.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are smart posters here. You're a veritable intellectual giant among pygmies based on the posts I've had to respond to. But I get so many shitty, thoughtless posts it gets boring. It confirms my theism rather than weakening it.
(October 26, 2015 at 12:08 am)Esquilax Wrote:

Are you truly asserting...

No, I'm asking questions.

If there are indeed so many doctrinal differences, even over core doctrines, we ought to be able to substantiate that with specifics. So I'm asking for specifics from the very people who are so confident of the claim.
PS- If I'm a little short with you, forgive me. The vast majority of terrible posts here are leaving me jaded.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How atheists can enjoy religion Ahriman 100 8410 September 5, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Todji812
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 22200 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 13417 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11255 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5059 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Exposing the Intellectual Bankruptcy of Atheists Criticizing Religion Delicate 500 112441 January 5, 2016 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20200 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Why I think atheists should not reject all religious text. boothj1985 65 15825 December 7, 2014 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Nope
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 51536 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11252 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar