Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 7:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
RE: Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
(October 27, 2015 at 10:53 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(October 27, 2015 at 10:51 pm)Delicate Wrote: Actually you do have to assert something to defend your position. You have to assert that all the arguments for God that have ever been provided fail to amount to either demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument, or valid and sound logic.

Isn't that what you're saying?

Yes, but they are not baseless assertions.

Oh don't just assert that. Substantiate it!
(October 27, 2015 at 10:54 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(October 27, 2015 at 10:50 pm)Irrational Wrote: Evolution is not like what you see in Pokemon games. For your own sake, please stop talking about a topic you have no understanding of before you embarrass yourself further.

If you want to believe in magic fairy tales of fish walking out of the water, and what history has never recorded anyone seeing.... Don't let my reason stop you!

You mean like these guys?

[Image: 5096420215_7d54924685.jpg]

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(October 27, 2015 at 10:54 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(October 27, 2015 at 10:50 pm)Irrational Wrote: Evolution is not like what you see in Pokemon games. For your own sake, please stop talking about a topic you have no understanding of before you embarrass yourself further.

If you want to believe in magic fairy tales of fish walking out of the water, and what history has never recorded anyone seeing.... Don't let my reason stop you!

lol, please, please, stop. That's not evolution you're talking about. You're strawmanning. Just as stupid and uneducated as saying we came from monkeys.

You don't know about evolution much, do you?
(October 27, 2015 at 10:56 pm)Delicate Wrote:
(October 27, 2015 at 10:53 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Yes, but they are not baseless assertions.

Oh don't just assert that. Substantiate it!

Again, I am only in the position to respond to theists claims that a god exists.

My only assertion is that demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument and valid/sound logic have not been presented. And that is all that I need to defend.

Until you assert that you have demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument and valid/sound logic for your god, I have no need to substantiate anything. 

If you want to open another thread and present your evidence, reasoned argument and valid/sound logic to support your god claim, I will be more than glad to substantiate my assertion that it does not meet that criteria.

You don't quite seem to grasp basic logic, skepticism, what constitutes good evidence, where the burden of proof lies, and probably more. 

For now, I am out of here for the night.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(October 27, 2015 at 10:58 pm)Irrational Wrote:
(October 27, 2015 at 10:54 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: If you want to believe in magic fairy tales of fish walking out of the water, and what history has never recorded anyone seeing.... Don't let my reason stop you!

lol, please, please, stop. That's not evolution you're talking about. You're strawmanning. Just as stupid and uneducated as saying we came from monkeys.

Referring to one part of the story to back up another part of the story; doesn't work (or so I'm told). It's like citing Frodo as evidence for the one ring.
Also it's just incoherent to begin with. If a fish wanted to eat and have sex, wouldn't have been easier to learn to eat dirt (like the bacteria experiment) than to make legs and lungs, and a system change to live on land.
(October 27, 2015 at 11:15 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(October 27, 2015 at 10:58 pm)Irrational Wrote: lol, please, please, stop. That's not evolution you're talking about. You're strawmanning. Just as stupid and uneducated as saying we came from monkeys.

Referring to one part of the story to back up another part of the story; doesn't work (or so I'm told).  It's like citing Frodo as evidence for the one ring.  
Also it's just incoherent to begin with.  If a fish wanted to eat and have sex, wouldn't have been easier to learn to eat dirt (like the bacteria experiment) than to make legs and lungs, and a system change to live on land.

Back up what? You're not making any sense here. I didn't mention the monkey bit to back up evolution, but only to provide another example of ignorance of evolution. And you are clearly ignorant on this topic.

When you say "decide", "make", "wanted", you're implying that animals evolve because they decide to, which is completely wrong and shows that you don't understand evolution.

Do you know what natural selection means? Seriously, explain to me in your own words what this means.
Ok... I had my fun... Now, back to seriousness tomorrow!
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(October 27, 2015 at 11:22 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Ok... I had my fun... Now, back to seriousness tomorrow!

Do you know what natural selection means?
(October 27, 2015 at 9:23 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Atheists don't understand religion because most believers in it don't either.

Without a mass awareness of the truth and they erring regarding this matter without conclusive way to testify or deny the truth, they inshallah will be forgiven by God.

Deepak? Is that you?

(October 27, 2015 at 11:06 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(October 27, 2015 at 10:56 pm)Delicate Wrote: Oh don't just assert that. Substantiate it!

Again, I am only in the position to respond to theists claims that a god exists.

My only assertion is that demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument and valid/sound logic have not been presented. And that is all that I need to defend.

Until you assert that you have demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument and valid/sound logic for your god, I have no need to substantiate anything. 

If you want to open another thread and present your evidence, reasoned argument and valid/sound logic to support your god claim, I will be more than glad to substantiate my assertion that it does not meet that criteria.

You don't quite seem to grasp basic logic, skepticism, what constitutes good evidence, where the burden of proof lies, and probably more. 

For now, I am out of here for the night.

That may be all you need to defend, but you're certainly not doing a good job of defending it.

You haven't substantiated the claim or provide any specifics, which is needed for a successful defense. Have people attempted to provide you demonstrable evidence in the past and you've found problems with their demonstrations? What did they try to demonstrate and how did it fail? This is needed for a successful defense of your claim as well.

In addition, further questions arise from your request for me to present my evidence- before you have even seen my evidence, how can you claim to substantiate your assertion that it doesn't meet your criteria? You haven't even seen the evidence yet! Unless you have a faith-based commitment to atheism that lets you know of its failure before seeing it...

So you have failed to substantiate your claim, and your atheism seems faith-based. Maybe you can take care of that when you wake up tomorrow.

And I haven't even gotten to your unsubstantiated assertion that I don't seem to grasp basic logic, skepticism, etc. What's the evidence for that?

Your case looks very weak, as it would fail to convince even to a dispassionate skeptic.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How atheists can enjoy religion Ahriman 100 9577 September 5, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Todji812
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 23661 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 14805 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11735 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5272 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Exposing the Intellectual Bankruptcy of Atheists Criticizing Religion Delicate 500 120413 January 5, 2016 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20895 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Why I think atheists should not reject all religious text. boothj1985 65 16731 December 7, 2014 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Nope
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 56419 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11644 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar