Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 11:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
RE: Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
(October 27, 2015 at 9:22 pm)Cecelia Wrote: Global Warming?  Not man made, and obviously not true.   Nothing but an Obama conspiracy.  Most scientists are wrong.  Man can't effect the climate!  Only God can.

AGW denialism in christian circles springs from domnion theology, actually. The idea springs from Gen. 1:28 in the KJV:

Quote:And God blessed them [Adam and Eve], and God said unto them, "Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."

So the idea is that, as god gave humans the world to own and control in toto, there is no way that he would have made the world in such a fashion that humans could actually turn around and destroy it (or to be more accurate, change the climate so radically that it becomes unlivable for most lifeforms including humanity). So because god said "I made the world for you, everything in it is yours" then the world cannot go through global warming. QED
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
I don't think that's a fair evaluation of the Christian position.

Effectively, they think that God made the world for the perfect version of humanity (Adam), and only once we had "fallen" did "corruption" enter the world, destroying the previous paradise. In the Christian version, we are to blame for the way we have handled the stewardship of the planet... it is, ironically, a surprisingly secular position, despite its belief that "sin-magic" is the root cause.

Of course, this goes against all we have learned of the brutal nature of the evolution of life on earth... multiple mass extinctions that wiped out as much as 90% of the species on the planet, "snowball earth", and the clear genetic evidence that we did not spring from a single pair of individuals. So, there's that.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(November 1, 2015 at 2:51 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Effectively, they think that God made the world for the perfect version of humanity (Adam), and only once we had "fallen" did "corruption" enter the world, destroying the previous paradise. In the Christian version, we are to blame for the way we have handled the stewardship of the planet... it is, ironically, a surprisingly secular position, despite its belief that "sin-magic" is the root cause.

And they never question that. Now I'm making a blanket statement, because I know a lot of christians, who actually don't subscribe to that bullshit. But for the sake of argument, since we're obviously talking about the more fundamentalist bunch.

Adam, a perfect simpleton, not knowing the distinction between good and evil, is punished for something he couldn't wrap his mind around in the first place. Eve, made out of spareribs of Adam, in order to make women a second class being.

Doesn't that strike them as perfectly man made? And I mean that in the male, paternalistic sense. Obviously not, which leads me to a rather spiteful assumption. They (male) like what they're reading and see no problem with that.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(October 31, 2015 at 10:58 pm)Delicate Wrote:
(October 30, 2015 at 12:11 pm)TaraJo Wrote: You're asking the wrong questions, Delicate.  Perhaps, instead of looking for justifications for atheism, you need to look for justifications for religion.  See, that's very important here because I'm not so much a hard-line atheist as much as I simply haven't found any religion or deity that continues to sound believable after some basic questioning.

So, if you'd like to ask some specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.  And if you'd like to explain your beliefs, I'd be happy to ask some questions about them.

I have looked at justifications for religion and found them credible. Many if not most of the critiques leveled against them from internet atheists look terrible on closer scrutiny and this can be demonstrated, time and time again. [...]

Then why don't you demonstrate these justifications if they're truly credible.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 1, 2015 at 3:20 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(October 31, 2015 at 10:58 pm)Delicate Wrote: I have looked at justifications for religion and found them credible. Many if not most of the critiques leveled against them from internet atheists look terrible on closer scrutiny and this can be demonstrated, time and time again. [...]

Then why don't you demonstrate these justifications if they're truly credible.

Because of the inability to actually find one.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(November 1, 2015 at 10:55 am)IATIA Wrote:
(November 1, 2015 at 10:45 am)Evie Wrote: Original sin is a completely sick concept even if the ridiculous story could ever be true.

god sat around timelessly for eons then one day decides to create this vast cosmos and on one little tiny itsy bitsy teensy weensy speck of it, create intelligent life condemned to hell for all eternity if they do not worship their creator.

Now, is that really ridiculous?   Worship

Oh but dear, you know the story doesn't go like that. We have to keep our critique true to what the book actually says without superimposing reality onto a perfectly good tale.

According to the Bible, there was no cosmos. There was the Heavens, where god lives and the Earth where man lives. And rather than being small, the Earth was a huge job with the sun and moon right here in the Earth's atmosphere so they wouldn't get lonely.

When you look at it that way, it's not so ridiculous. It's not be true, but it's not ridiculous.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
Yeah of course it's not ridiculous hehe Big Grin

In fact if he received a formal complaint I think God would agree Rhonda.

[Image: tgysd.jpg]
(November 1, 2015 at 10:45 am)Evie Wrote: Original sin is a completely sick concept even if the ridiculous story could ever be true.

Yes but the shitheads desperately need it because the whole fucking story is built on that absurd house of cards.
(October 30, 2015 at 4:09 pm)Redbeard The Pink Wrote:

Just to note, your reply here, doesn't really have to do with mine that was cited, as they are different topics.  My comment was on the question of if knowledge precludes free will.  I do not believe that it does.  I normally resist a change in topic, until one issue has been discussed, but this is at least the second time with me, that you have diverted to this topic, so I would like to address it. 

One thing, that I think is often overlooked when making such comparisons, is position.  This is not meant to be a free pass, but only to point out, that when making comparisons, that if any person did this, it would be wrong, are some what inaccurate.  For instance, I am not free to detain someone in the same way that a judge or an officer of the law are able.  Similarly a government can decide that any suffering incurred in war is for the greater good, however similar circumstances for an individual claiming the greater good as reason are not acceptable. 

This article http://www.str.org/articles/augustine-on...jZv9zZdESk describes a number of objections, to the question if a good all knowing God, could allow evil.  It discusses that evil is not a thing, but a lack of good.  Similar to darkness being a lack of light.  It also discusses a number of virtues, which would not be present, if evil was not possible.  Similarly it encompasses a larger view of the overall picture where allowing evil or suffering may be a greater good, even if in the specific we cannot see it or understand it.  That the struggle produces a character which cannot be achieved if there was no choice or free will.  That temporary suffering is allowed in regards to a greater eternal good.

As said before, this is a difficult subject, especially if we or a loved one is suffering at the moment.  Understanding is not going to help at this time, and I think that scripture teaches us that this is not a time to provide reason, but for compassion, and to grieve with the person.  I think that there are a few issues with your robot analogy.  One robots do not have free will, and it is unclear whether humans could even create a morally responsible robot.  Second is position and knowledge.  We do not have the authority or the knowledge to make such a call;  even if it is believed, that a greater good could come from it overall. 

It is not an easy topic, and I don't expect those who do not know God, or are seeking opportunity to present a negative view of God to be convinced.    That is to say, that the result of this philosophy is going to be largely dependent on your previous view of God.  I do think that it however shows that a reasonable defense can be made in regards to the problem of evil, and the presence of suffering does not necessarily negate God's omnipotence, omniscience, or his benevolence.  From the article "God made a world in which true moral decision-making and development of virtues is possible in humans, manifest by persons whose character is formed through growth and struggle."
Evil need not be only an absence of of good; indeed, that is more properly assessed as morally neutral.

Evil is active malevolence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How atheists can enjoy religion Ahriman 100 8410 September 5, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Todji812
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 22200 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 13417 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11255 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5059 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Exposing the Intellectual Bankruptcy of Atheists Criticizing Religion Delicate 500 112441 January 5, 2016 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20200 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Why I think atheists should not reject all religious text. boothj1985 65 15825 December 7, 2014 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Nope
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 51536 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11252 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar