Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 5:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what do non/anti-religion Deists and Theists believe ?
RE: what do non/anti-religion Deists and Theists believe ?
(November 15, 2015 at 4:21 pm)robvalue Wrote: Ah, OK. God is a very misleading term then, I think. Only just now have I realized what you're talking about.

And well... that wouldn't make you a theist, either. Unless you also believe there is a god of course.

i agree i dont really like using the word God id like to come up with a different term whenever i see the word God i think about the abrahamic religions but if your referring to something you have to use some word but i agree another term would fit better . thats the reason i stopped using the word 'He' 'it' is a better pronoun theres a better word than God just havent discovered it yet the perfect word .
Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today   FSM Grin   Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you will join us And the world will be as one  - John Lennon

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also  - Mark Twain
What's wrong with "an intelligence"?

As in,

"I was eating my fruitloops, when suddenly an intelligence began communicating with me, in a manner that I cannot demonstrate". Sound too crazy?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 15, 2015 at 4:21 pm)robvalue Wrote: Ah, OK. God is a very misleading term then, I think. Only just now have I realized what you're talking about.

And well... that wouldn't make you a theist, either. Unless you also believe there is a god of course.

I believe in God i just think all the God concepts are incorrect and a product of human concepts more than truth , all human God doctrines fall short of perfection and a result of humans wanting to know and understand what they are unable to .
Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today   FSM Grin   Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too Imagine all the people Living life in peace You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you will join us And the world will be as one  - John Lennon

The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also  - Mark Twain
-and your god concept somehow escapes this pitfall, that all others fall victim to? I recall you leveraging it to explain something you didn't understand as well, very clearly.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 15, 2015 at 4:46 pm)Rhythm Wrote: What's wrong with "an intelligence"?

As in,

"I was eating my fruitloops, when suddenly an intelligence began communicating with me, in a manner that I cannot demonstrate".   Sound too crazy?

i might start using that word , it only sounds crazy to someone who hasnt experienced it but actually thats true its random and while you are doing normal everyday things so that doesnt sound crazy at all not to some people who understand that happens .

It sounds crazy to people who -do- claim to have experienced it.  Christians blather on incessantly about experiences with the divine but never fail to see how ridiculous a muslim or hindus narrative regarding the same actually is.

Right now, your narrative rates no higher than "I hear voices in my head" - and this is entirely your own doing. You could change that at any moment you saw fit to do so. So what, plenty of people hear voices in their heads. It's usually their own, but every so often......
(November 15, 2015 at 4:56 pm)Rhythm Wrote: -and your god concept somehow escapes this pitfall, that all others fall victim to?  I recall you leveraging it to explain something you didn't understand as well, very clearly.

if i had a God concept it wouldnt escape the pitfall but since i dont have a concept of God and accept that God can be anything or everything although the true reality i doubt is imagineable , i have just as many beliefs as you have but i dont claim to know they are true you are sure your beliefs are true even when there is no more foundation for them than my beliefs .

(November 15, 2015 at 5:05 pm)Rhythm Wrote: It sounds crazy to people who -do- claim to have experienced it.  Christians blather on incessantly about experiences with the divine but never fail to see how ridiculous a muslim or hindus narrative regarding the same actually is.  

Right now, your narrative rates no higher than "I hear voices in my head" - and this is entirely your own doing.  You could change that at any moment you saw fit to do so.  So what, plenty of people hear voices in their heads.  It's usually their own, but every so often......

i dont consider someones religious experience is ridiculous just because they are muslim or hindu .

(November 15, 2015 at 5:13 pm)jenny1972 Wrote:
(November 15, 2015 at 4:56 pm)Rhythm Wrote: -and your god concept somehow escapes this pitfall, that all others fall victim to?  I recall you leveraging it to explain something you didn't understand as well, very clearly.

if i had a God concept it wouldnt escape the pitfall but since i dont have a concept of God and accept that God can be anything , i have just as many beliefs as you have but i dont claim to know they are true you are sure your beliefs are true even when there is no more foundation for them than my beliefs .
You clearly do. God is, at the least, the rigger of games.  That's all you've shared with us in specific, but I'm sure there's more you keep privately.  Don't pretend to be so obtuse, it does you no service.   You assume I have beliefs at all, but honestly, judging by what believers call beliefs, I don't have any.  You claim to know that the statement "god exists" is true.......even though you are incapable of demonstrating your knowledge or even how you came about it, don't you?  Attempting to set up a false equivalence is the sign of a desperate mind.

Your shit stinks just the same as theirs, and for the very reason that -you- claimed their shit stinks. Accept that.
(November 15, 2015 at 5:15 pm)jenny1972 Wrote: i dont consider someones religious experience is ridiculous just because they are muslim or hindu .
Good for you, but I never accused -you- of it.  You do, however, consider them to be wrong for hypocritical non-reasons. We often fail to see how the criticisms we levy against another apply equally to ourselves.
(November 15, 2015 at 5:15 pm)jenny1972 Wrote:
(November 15, 2015 at 5:05 pm)Rhythm Wrote: It sounds crazy to people who -do- claim to have experienced it.  Christians blather on incessantly about experiences with the divine but never fail to see how ridiculous a muslim or hindus narrative regarding the same actually is.  

Right now, your narrative rates no higher than "I hear voices in my head" - and this is entirely your own doing.  You could change that at any moment you saw fit to do so.  So what, plenty of people hear voices in their heads.  It's usually their own, but every so often......

i dont consider someones religious experience is ridiculous just because they are muslim or hindu .
When the Israelites made the golden calf idol were the influenced by Hinduism?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil God and anti-theodicy FrustratedFool 32 2882 August 21, 2023 at 9:28 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Can you be a "Non religious muslim"? Woah0 31 2003 August 22, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Persistent Non-Symbolic Experiences Ahriman 0 561 August 18, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Is God weaker than theists imagine, and is mankind stronger? invalid 6 2399 March 5, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Questions about the European renaissance and religion to non believers Quill01 6 745 January 31, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God as a non-creator Fake Messiah 13 1794 January 21, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 7627 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 14775 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  It's not religion..believe me. It's something else WinterHold 49 7388 November 15, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 8050 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus