Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 9:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theist zone
RE: Theist zone

I'm like a couch gargoyle: I love hiding! ^_^
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Think of hide tags as my clothes. In any post of mine that didn't have them: I WAZ NAKID! Tiger
@KN -
Intellectual dishonesty is dishonesty in performing intellectual activities like thought or communication. Examples are:

the advocacy of a position which the advocate knows or believes to be false or misleading
The advocacy of a position which the advocate does not know to be true, and has not performed rigorous due diligence to ensure the truthfulness of the position
The conscious omission of aspects of the truth known or believed to be relevant in the particular context.
... Borrowed from wiki

I wasn't saying that I was intellectually honest, it's not my claim to make. It was an observation that rev.J was being dishonest intellectually because of his intentional misquoting along with all 3 of the above examples, regardless of on what his actual beliefs are. I expressed that while you and I differ on our beliefs I've found you to be intellectually honest I was appreciating that.

My problem wasn't with his belief; I know and respect a lot of physical materialists, but his methodology and reasoning.

@Ace- No need to apologize, we both found it funny, for different reasons though most likely. If that's all you have to say then that's fine. One of these days though I'm going to drag more than one or two lines from you in relation to religion! Tongue

@CS- I wasn't retreating behind anything. I was making the point that the irreducible self (the I think therefore I am concept) is in a large part a function of the mind, influenced by physical stimuli and intangible concept, but not dependant on the brain as a sole storage medium. If the brain isn't the storage medium then the medium would have to transcend death. While not necessarily, it is likely to be intangible. That give it 2 qualities; intangible (or transcendent) and immortal. It would also be independent of the mental functions of self but be a part of identity. Therefore to me, part of who I am is based on experiential data, mental constructs and an intangible, irreducible, independent entity I term as a soul. Because of my religious bias I am inclined to also believe in the Holy Spirit, which is similar in makeup and (for all intents and purposes be the same thing). I differentiate the soul and Holy Spirit based on what I deem as contrary to my nature and will to be both independent of myself identity and influencing to my mind from an outward source. I then follow the logical conclusion my bias leads me to that the outside influence is God.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Quote:@Ace- No need to apologize, we both found it funny, for different reasons though most likely. If that's all you have to say then that's fine. One of these days though I'm going to drag more than one or two lines from you in relation to religion!
At some point we shall old chap. When I can be bothered that is, I'm still technically on my break from debating religion. More to life than arguing over the existence of god. I think we both can agree with.
For now I'm just gonna observe conversations rather than be involved in one.
You're still my favourite theist, tack. Big Grin
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(March 9, 2011 at 8:15 am)tackattack Wrote: @CS- I wasn't retreating behind anything. I was making the point that the irreducible self (the I think therefore I am concept) is in a large part a function of the mind, influenced by physical stimuli and intangible concept, but not dependant on the brain as a sole storage medium. If the brain isn't the storage medium then the medium would have to transcend death. While not necessarily, it is likely to be intangible. That give it 2 qualities; intangible (or transcendent) and immortal. It would also be independent of the mental functions of self but be a part of identity. Therefore to me, part of who I am is based on experiential data, mental constructs and an intangible, irreducible, independent entity I term as a soul. Because of my religious bias I am inclined to also believe in the Holy Spirit, which is similar in makeup and (for all intents and purposes be the same thing). I differentiate the soul and Holy Spirit based on what I deem as contrary to my nature and will to be both independent of myself identity and influencing to my mind from an outward source. I then follow the logical conclusion my bias leads me to that the outside influence is God.
- What leads you to assume that there is a storage mechanism external to the brain?
- What leads you to conclude that this is immaterial?
- How would an immaterial anything interact with a material something?
- If it does interact it must be doing so billions of times a second across the earth in humankind, so why can't we detect its presence?
- Is it present in other animals as well as humankind?
- The view that this is a soul and is the one consistent with xtianity is confirmation bias (as you concede)
- I cannot see the logic that leads you to that conclusion as you have conceded its fallacious (bias on your part)

On the other hand there is a mountain of evidence (which grows daily), which supports the idea that we are probably ONLY material beings and that previously unknown mental events are infact down to brain chemistry, neurons firing/misfiring etc, rather than souls, demonic possession or anything of the sort. The problem with evidence is that its only inductive, but its advantage is that its powerfully persuasive. Substance dualism is not a very prominent theory of the mind anymore for these reasons. Thus far it seems to me that your reasoning amounts to "I believe it, becuase I believe it", it is of course your own choice but lets call it what it is; it definately isn't well thought out [that would be my material brain ;-) doing that], nor backed by evidence.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
(March 9, 2011 at 9:09 am)Ace Otana Wrote:

Agreed, I'm supposed to be on break as well. I don't endeavor to be your favorite, but I'm glad I'm one that hasn't burned that bridge for you yet.

(March 9, 2011 at 9:46 am)Captain Scarlet Wrote:

1- What leads you to assume that there is a storage mechanism external to the brain?
There have been recorded instances of people recalling events that happened while 0 brain activity was going on or at least that the brain was unresponsive to input (light, sound, pain etc.) While some of them may be deducible with a creative imagination and some of them might have even been coached. The likelihood of all of them having no foundation in experience, IMO, is slim.

2- What leads you to conclude that this is immaterial?
I know of no physical storage medium (with respect to the human organism) that continues to function outside of biological life. Even qualia, a sense of time, intuition all immaterial and purely conceptual cease on ceasing of brain activity (waking up from a coma with the idea it's 1970, etc.)

3- How would an immaterial anything interact with a material something?
IDK...

4- If it does interact it must be doing so billions of times a second across the earth in humankind, so why can't we detect its presence?
maybe we don't yet have the means to measure it, or maybe it's not possible with material instruments to measure the immaterial, IDK

5- Is it present in other animals as well as humankind? To my understanding it is

6- The view that this is a soul and is the one consistent with xtianity is confirmation bias (as you concede)
yes.. but I'm open to possession by aliens, mass mind control, parasite infection, super complicated bacteria manipulation or other concepts Smile

7- I cannot see the logic that leads you to that conclusion as you have conceded its fallacious (bias on your part)
You can't escape bias. Even if we both saw a soul literally coming out of someone's body we would each interpret it different, bias does not mean false, although it can imply impartial which I fully admit to. I still feel it's logical, not based on evidence though based on faith. If evidence supersedes that then I'll probably accept it. However my faith has show proven results to me that place events in my life clearly on the side of the synchronistic rather than probability and I see no reason not to apply it in this case.

"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Several pages of nothing but blah blah from the believers of a soul. You may as well say that gravity doesnt exist and is in fact "intelligent falling".

Everything you have equated to a "soul", I can just as easily equate to "goblins". Goblins are invisible, intangible, mischevious beings that Loki sends to torment and fool and confuse people. Example:
-"I still feel it's logical, not based on evidence though based on faith" = goblins
-"maybe it's not possible with material instruments to measure the immaterial" = goblins
-"Even if we both saw a soul literally coming out of someone's body we would each interpret it different" = not a soul, but goblins!
-"However my faith has show proven results to me that place events in my life clearly on the side of the synchronistic rather than probability and I see no reason not to apply it in this case." = You are mistaken. Thats the goblins fooling you! Loki is unpredictable to us mere mortals.
-"I know of no physical storage medium (with respect to the human organism) that continues to function outside of biological life. Even qualia, a sense of time, intuition all immaterial and purely conceptual cease on ceasing of brain activity (waking up from a coma with the idea it's 1970, etc.)"= Because of Goblins. Goblins told the mind what was happening when they were out (qualia)

Quote:It was an observation that rev.J was being dishonest intellectually because of his intentional misquoting along with all 3 of the above examples, regardless of on what his actual beliefs are.
If I was quoting you wrong, then I am sorry. I am human, not perfect.

Please show me where there is a difference between Goblins and souls.
(March 9, 2011 at 4:53 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: Several pages of nothing but blah blah from the believers of a soul. You may as well say that gravity doesnt exist and is in fact "intelligent falling".

Gravity exists as an idea. Intelligent falling would be fine considering that there is no evidence of gravitons Tongue Anyway, if you can't stand to directly respond to those "several pages of nothing but blah blah blah", what gives you the impression that anyone would be remotely interested in showing you the difference between goblins and souls?

Stop beating around the bush and admit this: "I have already closed the book on souls, and believe they do not exist."

We know it is true, but (poorly) playing as if you haven't is only irritating.
(March 9, 2011 at 5:10 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Gravity exists as an idea. Intelligent falling would be fine considering that there is no evidence of gravitons Tongue

I'll be sure get that idea out of my mind next time I recollect the absense of evidence for gravitons. Big Grin

(March 9, 2011 at 5:10 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Gravity exists as an idea. Intelligent falling would be fine considering that there is no evidence of gravitons Tongue Anyway,
Wrong. Gravity exists WAY MORE than just an "idea". Look up the particle/wave split discussion to see where you made your mistake. Also speak with any physicist to understand how gravity is WAY much more than what you say. Nice setting up gravity as a straw man. I refuse to acknowledge it. Let your crows roost on it.
(March 9, 2011 at 5:10 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: if you can't stand to directly respond to those "several pages of nothing but blah blah blah", what gives you the impression that anyone would be remotely interested in showing you the difference between goblins and souls?
Really? And here I thought I was directly responding in most of the..oh, I dont know..5 or 6 pages back even up to now. How much more responding do I have to do to qualify as "responding" to you? Not to mention I steered this topic towards souls. I believe my original post was: "no souls, no need for salvation, no need for jesus, no need for afterlives". But by all means, feel free to ignore my comparisons, as I in no way hold them as a qualifier to wether your interest in this matter is sincere.
(March 9, 2011 at 5:10 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Stop beating around the bush and admit this: "I have already closed the book on souls, and believe they do not exist."
Really? Then you really didnt get what I was trying to say about the goblins then did you?

*QUICK POLL*
If you understand the point I was trying to make with the Goblins vs. Souls, then please thumb this post up

Are you so quick to dismiss Goblins fooling us into thinking that souls exist? If so then you are WAY MORE closed minded then you claim me to be.
(March 9, 2011 at 5:10 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: We know it is true, but (poorly) playing as if you haven't is only irritating.
Im not sure if I understand this sentence. Could you clarify?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 760 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Theist with Questions RBP3280 57 3223 April 1, 2022 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Dating / Married To Theist wolf39us 23 2984 April 8, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  You're a theist against immigration? Foxaèr 54 9745 July 9, 2018 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A serious question for the theist. Foxaèr 18 3143 May 9, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Stupid theist tricks........ Brian37 6 1912 April 29, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3813 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 23915 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Theist Posters: Why do you believe your God exists? SuperSentient 65 14860 March 15, 2017 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  [1 second conversion] Convert theist to atheist, in 1 second ProgrammingGodJordan 252 24339 February 17, 2017 at 1:10 am
Last Post: maestroanth