Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 5:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Jesus exist at all?
RE: Did Jesus exist at all?
(April 20, 2016 at 11:21 am)abaris Wrote:
(April 20, 2016 at 9:55 am)vorlon13 Wrote: LOL, we have more evidence Joseph Smith existed than Jesus.

Well, Joseph did exist. Got lynched for defrauding people.

Shot, actually.  Not that it matters.  He deserved it.
(April 19, 2016 at 10:24 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(April 19, 2016 at 9:41 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: If you'd seen what I've seen you'd be wondering what sort of evil being, assuming one existed, would inflict such horrors on people, especially innocent children.

Of course, you'd justify it by claiming it's our own fault: "free will" and all that crap, but, if Mental Gymnastics was an Olympic event, the apologists would win a platinum medal.

Sin is responsible for the down fall of the creation and man is responsible for sin, so yes, it's our fault.

GC

Nah, pretty sure little African kids haven't done anything to deserve the painful death by malaria.
G-C thinks his god is a miserable prick.  That's why he follows him!
(April 20, 2016 at 11:12 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(April 20, 2016 at 11:21 am)abaris Wrote: Well, Joseph did exist. Got lynched for defrauding people.

Shot, actually.  Not that it matters.  He deserved it.

Yet the fraud goes on...
Dying to live, living to die.
Religion has always been the most lucrative of scams.
(April 20, 2016 at 9:55 am)vorlon13 Wrote: LOL, we have more evidence Joseph Smith existed than Jesus.

So 'proving' Jesus existed does what for them again ???????

Tongue

Yeah, the "Did a real Jesus actually exist?" question is boring because it doesn't really address the more important component: "If so, was he magic?"

Also, the idea that bad things happen to innocents because of sin is so fucking vile.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
Yes, that's one of things I hate most about these kinds of cults.

God can hand out horrible diseases, send in rapists or drop a mountain on someone's head and people will just blame themselves. Or each other. Or even some stupid bitch who ate a fucking apple. How do we know God is the "good one", again?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 19, 2016 at 11:59 am)Hoppingbunny Wrote: If he did exist, then obviously he was so minor that either 1. Nothing was written about him when he was alive or 2. Very  little was written about him when he was alive but all those writings are  lost. 

-Or-
 how about everything written about him in detail is considered to be a religious text and is ignored. Tell me that's not stacking the deck.
(April 19, 2016 at 5:05 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(April 19, 2016 at 11:59 am)Hoppingbunny Wrote: If he did exist, then obviously he was so minor that either 1. Nothing was written about him when he was alive or 2. Very  little was written about him when he was alive but all those writings are  lost. 

yet because of Him Christianity became the largest religion in the history of the world. 

No, that would be Paul and Constantine.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(April 21, 2016 at 8:02 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(April 19, 2016 at 5:05 pm)Godschild Wrote: yet because of Him Christianity became the largest religion in the history of the world. 

No, that would be Paul and Constantine.

You are fairly dense aren't you, we call it Christianity for a reason, guess why since you can't reason it.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6877 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 25227 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Did Jesus drink wine or grape juice? Dundee 68 5840 November 27, 2020 at 6:26 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Did Jesus ever sin? ignoramus 59 12312 May 3, 2018 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Republicans seem hell bent on proving their god does not exist Foxaèr 7 2318 December 23, 2017 at 4:23 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Lets say that tomorow it will be proven that God doesn't exist , religion will fade , notimportant1234 54 11467 October 28, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  What would you do if you found out God can't possibly exist? Succubus 21 4775 October 7, 2017 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Could Hell exist? Europa! 20 4698 September 16, 2017 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Answers to "if god did not exist" Foxaèr 25 9090 June 2, 2017 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Did you know the movies God's Not Dead 1 and 2 did well at Box Office? Renug 12 4557 May 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13