Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 7:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Did you know...?
RE: Did you know...?
(April 22, 2016 at 4:56 am)robvalue Wrote: For people like me who find maths sexy:

Did you know that if you keep on adding up this sequence:

1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5 + ...

for enough terms, the sum will eventually exceed any number you like? Seems very counter-intuitive huh? How can those fractions ever add up to a million? Because fractions are my friends.

I'm surprised someone hasn't called bullshit on this Big Grin I certainly did, at least in my head, when I was first shown it. The mathematicians here will of course know that it is true. But even though I know it's true, it still doesn't look right!

Sad story. The guy who showed me this was one of my A level maths tutors, who died in a canoeing accident a few years later Sad He was a nice guy, although other pupils were mean to him. We played chess at lunchtimes, and he was really strong. I didn't ever beat him, even when playing speed chess.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
A great teacher of mine who taught me the first steps in my specialty at Uni died in an avalanche while skiing a few years later...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Sorry to hear that Sad
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Did you know that my signature is encoded on a CD-ROM that's currently in orbit around Saturn, aboard the Cassini probe? I submitted it as part of a campaign by the Jet Propulsion Lab and I have the confirmation paperwork as evidence. So a million years from now, aliens will be able to claim social security benefits in my name.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Hey Stimbo! And I though I was good at planning ahead! I'm nothing!
[Image: 12z2ls.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Did you know that Samuel Beckett knew Andre the Giant?

Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
What did he have to do in order to make the next leap?

Index of my best videos
Stand up.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
With Andre sitting on him?

Tough leap!

Index of my best videos
I have scar tissue on my tongue but don't want to say why.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3827 242792 11 hours ago
Last Post: A. Secular Human
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1242 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Did you know? Ryn 2 352 July 4, 2022 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: weaponoffreedom
  What did you get for Christmas? arewethereyet 13 845 December 29, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  What Hobbies Did You Have As A Kid? BrianSoddingBoru4 51 2743 November 11, 2021 at 7:45 am
Last Post: brewer
  What did you learn to do because of the pandemic? arewethereyet 31 2386 June 27, 2021 at 3:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What job(s) did you have as a kid? arewethereyet 25 2268 April 25, 2021 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Sal
  Do I know you? Losty 16 1369 October 21, 2019 at 5:03 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  10 things you didn’t know about Star Wars robvalue 3 901 March 20, 2019 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Did you "spring forward"? Gawdzilla Sama 44 3083 November 5, 2018 at 10:19 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama