Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 1:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas looks to follow UK's example
RE: Texas looks to follow UK's example
(June 27, 2016 at 3:57 pm)abaris Wrote:
(June 27, 2016 at 3:52 pm)mlmooney89 Wrote: But we would be even more illiterate than we are now. Texas would spend all of it's educational money on high school football if it could. My hometown spent $1 million on Astroturf for our football field...

Now if my country actually could fund a soccer team that doesn't fail at any international competition.

We are going ok on the current tourney. Heh, we tied all the games lol, except for the last one. No more room for ties.
(June 27, 2016 at 3:51 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(June 27, 2016 at 3:49 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Probably could, today.  The states GDP is bigger than most countries.

Perhaps not, after certain business interests who are better off with the union than a breakaway state withdraw.

OTOH there would be gun shops and churches on every fucking street!
(June 27, 2016 at 4:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(June 27, 2016 at 3:51 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Perhaps not, after certain business interests who are better off with the union than a breakaway state withdraw.

OTOH there would be gun shops and churches on every fucking street!

HAHAHA This is not untrue. Actually it's pretty accurate right now.
(June 27, 2016 at 4:10 pm)mlmooney89 Wrote:
(June 27, 2016 at 4:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote: OTOH there would be gun shops and churches on every fucking street!

Which is sad and kinda scary.
Dying to live, living to die.
(June 27, 2016 at 3:56 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(June 27, 2016 at 3:51 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Perhaps not, after certain business interests who are better off with the union than a breakaway state withdraw.

It's not that I disagree...but you could cut Texas' GDP -in half- and it would still be bigger than alot of countries we don't exactly think of as shitholes.  To my mind, that only highlights the idiocy of secessionist dreams....regardless of who may harbor them or what body they seek to leave.  It would be a bad idea for them...and they're better off than the majority of soveriegn nations by a wide margin.

I know that brits don't appreciate the comparison, but they've just ran out the stars and bars, and from the outside...that much is obvious, as is where this decision will lead.

It may not have been clear, but the "perhaps not" was in reference as to whether or not they could make independence work this time. Free trade currently enjoyed by the state of Texas by virtue of it being part of the United States? Say buh bye to that, until the new republic is able to secure favorable trade agreements. Things such as that I suspect fall under why you'd classify it a bad idea.

GDP doesn't paint the whole picture - there's a lot of intangibles associated with being part of our republic.

I suspect on this we are in agreement.
(June 27, 2016 at 4:27 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(June 27, 2016 at 4:10 pm)mlmooney89 Wrote: HAHAHA This is not untrue. Actually it's pretty accurate right now.

Which is sad and kinda scary.

True but it doesn't affect me or my day to day life so I don't care much.
I'm thinking the war which secession would ignite would bankrupt the new nation even if by some miracle it came out still independent.

(June 27, 2016 at 4:36 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I'm thinking the war which secession would ignite would bankrupt the new nation even if by some miracle it came out still independent.

I don't think there would be a war this time round. Unless Dump is elected, that is. The rest of the union would just watch the train wreck from the outside.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(June 26, 2016 at 1:29 am)Bella Morte Wrote: Just doing exactly what the yanks are doing. Getting involved in their affairs since they're meddling with ours.

You're welcome.  Just let me know if you need my help setting you straight on any other matters.  

Always here for you.
(June 27, 2016 at 4:10 pm)mlmooney89 Wrote:
(June 27, 2016 at 4:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote: OTOH there would be gun shops and churches on every fucking street!

Is it true that the churches send kids door to door selling guns to raise money?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Texas Law could circumvent Roe V. Wade Cecelia 55 4525 September 29, 2021 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  looks like the orange man group making a come back.. Drich 190 11917 December 25, 2020 at 10:03 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Voting Machines Switching Votes in Texas ReptilianPeon 5 946 October 31, 2018 at 8:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Looks Like The WLB Got Hoodwinked Minimalist 53 6217 June 14, 2018 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Looks Like The Bromance Is Over Minimalist 31 2344 June 5, 2018 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  So This Is An Example Of What Democrats Are Supposed To Engage Minimalist 11 1839 November 9, 2017 at 12:46 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Looks like the NRA is at it again NuclearEnergy 46 8098 August 7, 2017 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Looks like our so called president is creating more enemries NuclearEnergy 5 1342 June 18, 2017 at 9:41 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Looks like Macron wins French Presidential Election easily TheRealJoeFish 30 7668 May 8, 2017 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Looks Like The Russkis Regret Their Choice Minimalist 24 7463 April 19, 2017 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist