Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 1:28 am

Poll: I am curious to know
This poll is closed.
Would you change your mind about God and start believing.
0%
0 0%
Would you believe them but you wouldn't change your mind anyway.
0%
0 0%
Would you think that they had an hallucination so no you still wouldn't believe in God.
100.00%
50 100.00%
Total 50 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Curious to know
RE: Curious to know
(June 28, 2016 at 8:37 am)Redbeard The Pink Wrote: So, to be perfectly clear, I said doctors (and their equipment) can be wrong sometimes. I didn't say that they don't know how to tell if somebody is dead. No amount of medical training precludes a human being from making mistakes on the job, so even the world's best doctors are capable of occasional errors.

Furthermore, doctors' error is not the only possible explanation I offered for a person appearing dead without actually being dead. I also mentioned the possibility that we might not be currently able to detect and/or understand all levels of life and brain activity. If that were the case, a doctor could mistake a living person for a dead one without it even being his fault.

Another possibility is that the subject is totally dead and having no experiences. The experiences that they claimed to have happened while they were dead happened while they were dying or being resuscitated.
A Gemma is forever.
(June 28, 2016 at 4:27 pm)Gemini Wrote:
(June 28, 2016 at 8:37 am)Redbeard The Pink Wrote: So, to be perfectly clear, I said doctors (and their equipment) can be wrong sometimes. I didn't say that they don't know how to tell if somebody is dead. No amount of medical training precludes a human being from making mistakes on the job, so even the world's best doctors are capable of occasional errors.

Furthermore, doctors' error is not the only possible explanation I offered for a person appearing dead without actually being dead. I also mentioned the possibility that we might not be currently able to detect and/or understand all levels of life and brain activity. If that were the case, a doctor could mistake a living person for a dead one without it even being his fault.

Another possibility is that the subject is totally dead and having no experiences. The experiences that they claimed to have happened while they were dead happened while they were dying or being resuscitated.

Ah, thanks for reminding me. That's the one I forgot.

Gemini is right, Rik. It's also possible that the "visions" are happening while the person is unconscious, but before or after their vitals dip below what we're able to detect. You have no way of knowing whether these dreams are actually occurring at the moment when brain activity isn't apparent.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
(June 28, 2016 at 7:27 am)robvalue Wrote: True knowledge can't be bought.

Is your real name Jesus Christ that you are not for sale?  Hell no

Oh, I see.  Lightbulb
You just want to raise the price.
One truckload of gold is not enough, isn't it Roberto.
Ok, I will give you two truckload.
Deal?  Rolleyes
(June 28, 2016 at 4:32 pm)Redbeard The Pink Wrote:
(June 28, 2016 at 4:27 pm)Gemini Wrote: Another possibility is that the subject is totally dead and having no experiences. The experiences that they claimed to have happened while they were dead happened while they were dying or being resuscitated.

Ah, thanks for reminding me. That's the one I forgot.

Gemini is right, Rik. It's also possible that the "visions" are happening while the person is unconscious, but before or after their vitals dip below what we're able to detect. You have no way of knowing whether these dreams are actually occurring at the moment when brain activity isn't apparent.

No, Pinky. Tut Tut

Also Gem is wrong.  Banghead

The consciousness of the people who experienced NDEs went well behind the brain.
They could see what happened in other rooms of the hospital while their bodies lied in the emergency room.
That clearly means that the consciousness get disassociate from the body-brain once the body-brain is dead.
Moreover it also means that the physical death doesn't represent the end of ourselves.
Moreover it also means that atheism is pure fantasy.  Smile
Rikky, wtf is wrong with you?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 29, 2016 at 9:11 am)Stimbo Wrote: Rikky, wtf is wrong with you?

Brother Stim.  Hi

I suppose it has to do with my low reputation in here.  4 Horsemen

You don't imagine how envious of your top reputation I am.  Indubitably
This isn't a matter of reputation, Rik. It's a matter of you simply ignoring opposing arguments, evidence, and propositions of other people while continuing to assert your own shit without so much as a drop of support, then acting as if we're the dumb ones because we want you to support your bullshit.

Shitfan
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
(June 29, 2016 at 9:36 am)Redbeard The Pink Wrote: This isn't a matter of reputation, Rik. It's a matter of you simply ignoring opposing arguments, evidence, and propositions of other people while continuing to assert your own shit without so much as a drop of support, then acting as if we're the dumb ones because we want you to support your bullshit.

You are an absolute joke Pinky.  Banging Head On Desk

How these NDE could have seen what was happening in other rooms of the hospital while their dead body
lie in the emergency room?
Their report was validated by doctors and nurses that were present there so it is you guys that ignore evidence not me.  Smile

Sorry mate, you fail once again.  Banghead
Rik, can you explain why you have eyes in the first place if you can see without them when your consciousness detaches from the body? In other words if consciousness can freely detach from the body, and as you claim, float around a hospital observing things, why have a body, brain, and eyes in the first place? Or do you believe they do not contribute in any way to your conscious experience?

I recommend a book to you called 'Passage' by Connie Willis. It's all about NDEs. It's fiction but it does provide a lot of food for thought on what they are from a skeptical point of view and why there is reason to be skeptical of claims made about them. Perhaps you will understand the position of many atheists, including me, better if you read it.
Rik, why don't you google James Randi discussing his 'out of body' experience and get back to us about how that had nothing to do with his brain?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The curious case of Sarah Salviander. Jehanne 24 6884 December 27, 2016 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Curious about sneezing lol mlmooney89 29 5094 June 23, 2016 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: dom.donald
  Curious question of curiosity. Spooky 44 6219 November 14, 2015 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Spooky
Lightbulb Just Curious Just-A-Curious-Girl 84 18794 August 10, 2013 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Cyberman