Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 3:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
On Logic and Alternate Universes
RE: On Logic and Alternate Universes
Again, you're a moron, I do agree with that, I've told you as much at least half a dozen times now.  Just stop.  

It simply doesn't -matter- that you and I agree there, because -in the hypothetical- it does not have to hold, and even if it did, it would not be sufficient condition to consider the larger rule set logical.  It is a complete irrelevance, -to the hypothetical- even if true, even if we both agree..it has nothing to do with the question posed -by- the hypothetical, it is in fact straw, as is this long running argument you've been having with yourself about -my- position on whether or not the law of identity holds in all universes.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 6, 2016 at 1:00 pm)Rhythm Wrote: You absolutely -can- address such a premise.  I did.  I informed the op that it was an illogical equivocation, on it;s own merits...even if all of it was true, regardless of whether or not it -can be- true.

There is no premise without A=A. For there to be a premise there has to be a premise. A has to =A. If you really agree with that you'll realize all premises imply the truth of the law of identity so when the OP thinks he is creating a premise without it he's wrong. You can't have hypotheticals without the law of identity it doesn't matter what universe it is or whether it's existent.
(November 6, 2016 at 1:08 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Again, you're a moron, I do agree with that, I've told you as much at least half a dozen times now.  Just stop.

How am I a moron when you keep contradicting yourself?

Quote:-in the hypothetical- it does not have to hold,

Yes it does. So stop telling me you agree.

Quote: and even if it did, it would not be sufficient condition to consider the larger rule set logical.

Doesn't matter. You've already agreed that if it holds 2+2=4 because 2+2=5 violates it and if the OP includes the Law of Identity then the OP is mistaken in thinking that it doesn't include any of 'our' logical laws.

Quote: It is a complete irrelevance, -to the hypothetical- even if true.

This is why we don't agree. YOU CAN'T HAVE A HYPOTHETICAL WITHOUT IT BEING A HYPOTHETICAL WITHOUT A=A.

That's relevant to the hypothetical because the hypothetical claims for 'our' logical laws to not hold and A=A is one of 'our' logical laws. Scare quotes because "A=A" isn't one of 'our' logical laws, it's an absolute logical law that applies in all hypotheticals regardless of what universe.

For fucks sake. Are you taking the piss? The Law of Identity has to hold in the hypothetical because otherwise it's not actually a hypothetical. A=A holds everywhere in all hypotheticals and all universes. There is no sense in which "if X then Y" (a hypothetical) does not mean "if X then Y", it doesn't matter what universe we're in. Whatever universe is being described the universe being described is the universe being described. A=A. You're the moron here so fuck off with the insults dipshit.
There are illogical premises.  Their being illogical does not mean that they do not exist.  Stop.

I'm not contradicting myself, I'm relating to you the specifics of someone -else's- hypothetical....which I do not consider to be even remotely rational. Nevertheless, I am capable of addressing the question posed by that hypothetical rationally, and so are you...you simply -haven't been-.

Stop arguing with me about whether or not the law of identity has to hold. You and I do not disagree, there, for the very last time. That doesn't change the fact, that, in the hypothetical..it doesn't have to hold, and doesn't matter if it -does- hold. It;s not relevant if it doesn't, and it's not sufficient condition if it does....to the proposition that the rules of said hypothetical universe are logical.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 5, 2016 at 1:09 am)FallentoReason Wrote: "But 2 + 2 will always equal 4 no matter what." - no, that is a bare assertion.

Wrong. I don't care what your hypothetical is, A=A is already presupposed, 2+2=4 is already presupposed because it's truth is based on A=A (2+2=4 because four things and two and two things is the same thing, it has the same identity... A=A)... so when you think you are describing an "if X then Y" situation without the law of identity and without 2+2=4 then you're WRONG. It doesn't matter what universe it is.
(November 6, 2016 at 1:14 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Stop arguing with me about whether or not the law of identity has to hold.  You and I do not disagree, there, for the very last time.  That doesn't change the fact, that, in the hypothetical..it doesn't have to hold,

Yes it does. All hypotheticals presuppose the law of identity.

It has to hold in all hypothetical universes, I've fucking told you that it doesn't make a difference in the hypothetical, so instead of strawmanning me by telling me that we agree but it's different in the hypothetical... accept that we don't agree because I'm saying it's NOT different in the hypothetical.
(November 6, 2016 at 1:14 pm)Rhythm Wrote: There are illogical premises.  Their being illogical does not mean that they do not exist.  Stop.

They all at least contain the logical law of identity so they're not fully illogical. The only alternative is they're not a premise at all. You can't have a premise that isn't a premise.

Quote:I'm not contradicting myself, I'm relating to you the specifics of someone -else's- hypothetical....which I do not consider to be even remotely rational.

You're contradicting yourself because you told me you accept that 2+2=5 violates the law of identity but then you also said that even if the law of identity holds in this other universe 2+2 can =5. That's self-contradictory. if 2+2=5 violates the law of identity then it can't hold in a universe with the law of identity.

Quote: Nevertheless, I am capable of addressing the question posed by that hypothetical rationally, and so are you...you simply -haven't been-.

Yes I have. I'm addressing the question by saying that it fails to ask what it thinks it is asking. I'm addressing the premise by saying it's not actually a successful premise.
-and if it's not different in the hypothetical, it still doesn't matter, because said universe holding to the law of identity, but not the other logical laws, is not sufficient condition for those laws, whatever they are, to be considered logical laws.

In a universe, where, when you add two things to two things, you have 5 things, 5 is the identity of the sum of 2 and 2...the law holds, within that universe, but does not yield what it yields here, because that -doesn't- happen here. It's not a contradiction -of mine-...it's simply a difference between this universe and the hypothetical universe.

Without, at least, entertaining he notion, you -cannot- respond with anything but straw. The proposition is not whether or not such a universe exists or is possible, it is whether or not the rules of such a universe - as expressed by that operation..in that universe, are logical.
(November 6, 2016 at 1:26 pm)Rhythm Wrote: -and if it's not different in the hypothetical, it still doesn't matter, because said universe holding to the law of identity, but not the other logical laws, is not sufficient condition for those laws, whatever they are, to be considered logical laws.

You've already agreed that if the law of identity is true then 2+2=4 and can't =5.

Quote:In a universe, where, when you add two things to two things, you have 5 things, 5 is the identity of the sum of 2 and 2

No such universe can be described. You're making a use/mention error. 4 things can't have the identity of 5 (it doesn't matter what universe it is). All you can do is label 4 things as "5".... 4 things are still 4 things and 5 things are still 5 things. Labelling is irrelevant.

Quote:the law holds, within that universe, but does not yield what it yields here, because that -doesn't- happen here.  It's not a contradiction -of mine-...it's simply a difference between this universe and the hypothetical universe.

I told you enough times it doesn't fucking matter what universe it is and I've given my reasons. A=A is absolute in all hypotheticals. Address that.
(November 6, 2016 at 1:31 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: You've already agreed that if the law of identity is true then 2+2=4 and can't =5.
The law of identity refers to what we observe here, in our universe.  I think it holds, but I don't think theres any universe, or at least any sensible universe, in which things pop into existence just because you add two and two.  -In the hypothetical- not to my mind Ham...not to my mind, but -in the hypothetical-...that does happen.  That is the universe described.

Now what?

Quote:No such universe can be described. You're making a use/mention error. 4 things can't have the identity of 5 (it doesn't matter what universe it is). All you can do is label 4 things as "5".... 4 things are still 4 things and 5 things are still 5 things. Labelling is irrelevant.
Obviously such a universe -can be- described....it has -been- described.  I just described it.  You're losing your shit.  Further, 4 things, in my example, -doesn't- have the identity of 5, five things do.  In that hypothetical universe, which I don't think exists, when you add two things to two things, an extra thing pops into existence.  Thus, the valid and correct sum of 2+2=5.  That;s how we put our math together, that's how they would put their math together.

Quote:I told you enough times it doesn't fucking matter what universe it is and I've given my reasons. A=A is absolute in all hypotheticals. Address that.
There is no reason to address it, we do not disagree, and it is irrelevant to the question posed by the hypothetical.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The evolution of logic ignoramus 3 944 October 7, 2019 at 7:34 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Let us go back to "cold" hard logic."Time" Mystic 75 11702 November 10, 2017 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Logic Fallacies: A Quiz to Test Your Knowledge, A Cheat Sheet to Refresh It Rhondazvous 0 1005 March 6, 2017 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Formal logic for Dummies? LadyForCamus 48 8972 February 6, 2016 at 8:35 am
Last Post: robvalue
  10 commandments of logic meme drfuzzy 10 3688 January 2, 2016 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Logic 101 Tiberius 29 19558 October 4, 2015 at 7:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  10 commandments of logic drfuzzy 15 4953 August 28, 2015 at 5:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Logic tells me God doesn't exist but my heart says otherwise. Mystic 81 17960 October 17, 2014 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Practical Applications of Apologetic Logic DeistPaladin 5 1594 July 28, 2014 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Formal Logic Classes OGirly 8 3066 March 29, 2014 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle