Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 1:13 pm

Poll: Do you agree with the IOC position on trans athletes?
This poll is closed.
Yes, IOC has it right
30.00%
6 30.00%
No, if a trans person has an advantage, they shouldn't compete
45.00%
9 45.00%
Other
25.00%
5 25.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trans people & sports
RE: Trans people & sports
Being a different ethnicity or nationality to someone is not comparable because neither of these confer any advantages over anyone. You watch the Olympic Games and athletes
from different countries and continents routinely compete against each other. Some countries may produce better athletes in particular sports but that is as much due to climate
as anything else. For example all the worlds best skiers will come from countries in the Northern Hemisphere because it is colder and therefore more likely to produce snow than
the more hotter Southern Hemisphere. However where a sport does not require a specific climate or can be played indoors the ethnicity or nationality of players does not matter
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
No one can say that trans women in sport is new. Truth is that we do not know because trans people do not advertise themselves. Transsexuality is not new and the medical establishment has been trying to cure them for an extremely long time. From lobotomies, conversion therapy and electroshock therapy to finally allowing them to transition. The only thing that is new is widespread awareness of gender dysphoria and that is because we now live in the information age and transsexuals find it harder to leave their past behind and live a new life.

Offence needs to be seen in context. Nor has anyone the right to say what someone should and should not be offended by. This is because you do not live their life or experience what they do. A white person can't tell a black person not to be offended by the word nigger because they are no longer slaves or lynch mobbed by the KKK. Men can't tell women not to be offended by a slap on the arse now that they can enter the workforce.

With transsexuals it is one thread after another with cisgendered people debating whether they should have basic human rights. Should medical care be covered by the NHS / insurance companies / given to them when they are children and can avoid puberty. Should they be sent to the jails of their birth gender. Should transsexuals be able to change their birth certificate. Should they be able to get married, or adopt, or even be allowed to pee in safety.

By the time it gets to whether they can compete in sport, it is so irrelevant and affects so few transsexuals, most of whom harm their careers or lose their jobs by transitioning and have personally encountered many forms of abuse, then it becomes hard not to see it as just yet another thread about whether they should even be allowed to exist. Especially when started by someone like Alpha Male. And when they have the audacity to complain they are told not to be PC and stifle debate and that they are overly sensitive for being offended.

All transsexuals want is the same basic rights that everyone else takes for granted.
TIL playing sports is a basic human right. I'm not going to be tricked by your half-reasonable response. If I actually respond to your post on-topic, you'll go off on some tangent about privilege and ignore any points I've made. No one has told transsexuals in this thread not to be PC or that they're being overly sensitive or stifling debate, unless you're transsexual. If that's the case, yes, I'm saying that not because you are transsexual, but because you are insufferable. You're telling a bunch of liberals and leftists they aren't liberal or leftist enough. You're telling us we have an agenda for daring to talk about something like fucking adults. You've thrown tantrum after tantrum derailing this thread entirely. This should be split with the half you're in titled, "And now you see the ever-angry Tumblrina venturing out of her natural habitat."
You just know that if the web had been around in the 60s then there'd be threads like this about "coloreds" using the same water fountain as white people. Same shit, different prejudice.
(April 5, 2017 at 12:27 pm)Pitsligo Wrote: You just know that if the web had been around in the 60s then there'd be threads like this about "coloreds" using the same water fountain as white people. Same shit, different prejudice.

Do you think men and women's sports shouldn't be played separately? 

You're treating the differences between male and female biology as equivalent to differences in skin color.

They are obviously not equivalent, otherwise you'd be saying that we shouldn't "segregate" male from female in any sports.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(April 5, 2017 at 12:27 pm)Pitsligo Wrote: You just know that if the web had been around in the 60s then there'd be threads like this about "coloreds" using the same water fountain as white people. Same shit, different prejudice.

Fucking prejudice. Fuck's sake. You notice that a trans woman may be more like a man that a biological woman and all of a sudden you're prejudiced?

Have you ever noticed that black people have darker skin? You're prejudiced.
(April 5, 2017 at 10:37 am)Shell B Wrote: Hey, Tibs. Have you seen my privilege? I seem to have lost it the day I was born and brought home to the projects where I was raised in utter poverty with four and then five other children. I wish I had it when I just left school and no one gave a shit or when I was arrested for having a tiny nugget of pot after the cops were called because my then boyfriend was threatening me and refusing to get out of my car in a grocery store parking lot. That imaginary privilege really could have come in handy at many points during my life. Could you see if maybe it's in the hall closet, darling? I might see if I can use it when we go to get a home loan with money we've saved completely by ourselves. Maybe they'll give me the "white girl" rate instead of the "white trash" one I've been looking forward to.

But you're white. So, of course you're still more privileged than the Obama girls.  Rolleyes

/sarcasm
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I'm not even going to deny that it is more common for blacks to be at a disadvantage to whites, but to be presumptuous and assume every white person has this magical color privilege is bullshit. It fails to consider the nuances of the thousands of micro societies within American society. There are, without a doubt, places in this country where being white doesn't mean shit. Far left and far right people baffle me. It's extremism that should have no place in civilized society.
(April 5, 2017 at 1:08 pm)Shell B Wrote: I'm not even going to deny that it is more common for blacks to be at a disadvantage to whites, but to be presumptuous and assume every white person has this magical color privilege is bullshit. It fails to consider the nuances of the thousands of micro societies within American society. There are, without a doubt, places in this country where being white doesn't mean shit. Far left and far right people baffle me. It's extremism that should have no place in civilized society.

Agreed. It's also BS to tell someone that they don't have the right to an opinion or discussion because they are white/male/Christian/rich/American. Even IF a person is privileged (and that's a big assumption to make about someone else), they are still entitled to an opinion and discussion.

-walsh
(April 5, 2017 at 1:08 pm)Shell B Wrote: I'm not even going to deny that it is more common for blacks to be at a disadvantage to whites, but to be presumptuous and assume every white person has this magical color privilege is bullshit. It fails to consider the nuances of the thousands of micro societies within American society. There are, without a doubt, places in this country where being white doesn't mean shit. Far left and far right people baffle me. It's extremism that should have no place in civilized society.

This is a very similar argument we're arguing against in regards to transwomen athletes. 

Mathilda and others are saying, because there are a few "Obama Daughter" cisgender athletes, who have many of the same physical advantages a transgender athlete has, that it's bullshit to say transwomen have an inherent advantage just by being transgender.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] That Trans Thread LadyForCamus 538 45728 May 31, 2024 at 12:16 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  [Serious] That Trans Thread 2.0 Rev. Rye 3 343 March 26, 2024 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Trans women banned from world chess LinuxGal 37 3147 October 15, 2023 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Hail To A Name change..... Sports/NFL Brian37 44 1930 July 13, 2020 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Heineken pulls sponsorship from sports team Brian37 0 283 May 31, 2019 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Brian37
  knives don't stab people people stab people! Drich 135 6149 April 9, 2019 at 8:37 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  No Trans In The Military Says Trump Amarok 314 61552 August 9, 2017 at 12:36 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Wanna have the physics, North Carolina? Better respect trans people... Alex K 115 13653 September 18, 2016 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  John Oliver On the Crooked Corporate Sports Owners Minimalist 9 2348 July 26, 2015 at 1:30 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Homeless teen wants to be first trans US President Foxaèr 1 1416 May 7, 2014 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Chad32