Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hail To A Name change..... Sports/NFL
Hail To A Name change..... Sports/NFL
Danny for years said he would never consider changing the Washington NFL teams name, but just yesterday, due to pressure from sponsors FedX and Nike, the team put out a statement saying that they are now going through a process of possibly changing the team name. 

https://wkow.com/2020/07/03/nfls-washing...0Schefter.
RE: Hail To A Name change..... Sports/NFL
Watch them pick something worse.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Savage McSavageFace isn't taken. Big Grin
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(July 3, 2020 at 2:16 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Watch them pick something worse.

I don't know what is worse than a racial slur, but I kinda get it.

The Washington Bullets NBA team changed their name because at the time DC was the murder capital of America. Yea, I wasn't too fond of the "Wizards". But in all seriousness, I don't own the team, so it is no sweat off my nose if they end up calling them the Washington Pink Feather Boa's as long as they stop SUCKING.
(July 3, 2020 at 4:23 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(July 3, 2020 at 2:16 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Watch them pick something worse.

I don't know what is worse than a racial slur, but I kinda get it.

The Washington Bullets NBA team changed their name because at the time DC was the murder capital of America. Yea, I wasn't too fond of the "Wizards". But in all seriousness, I don't own the team, so it is no sweat off my nose if they end up calling them the Washington Pink Feather Boa's as long as they stop SUCKING.

‘Wizards’? Seriously? They wanted to disassociate themselves from violence, so they picked a KKK title? Jaysus, why not just change it to ‘The Washington Imperial Dragons’?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
How about the Prince George County Redskins? I mean honestly, is Washington really that bad?
Who cares about the name?
Football brain damages children.
People who support it are worse than racists.

(July 3, 2020 at 5:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(July 3, 2020 at 4:23 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I don't know what is worse than a racial slur, but I kinda get it.

‘Wizards’? Seriously? They wanted to disassociate themselves from violence, so they picked a KKK title? Jaysus, why not just change it to ‘The Washington Imperial Dragons’?

Boru

Not at all. You really are reading too much into this. I grew up around DC and believe me, the "Wizards" was not chosen because of the KKK, it was just a stupid name, like Miami Dolphins.

It was like going from the "Washington Nazis" to the "Washington Ladybugs" they overcorrected.

I do think the "Wizard" name was more along the lines of fantasy like a si fi movie or Dungeons and Dragons, and not that Harry Potter existed back then. I think most of the name choice was matching "W" as in "Washington" with "W" as in si fi wizard.

But if you can find proof that the "Wizard" name was directed to honoring the KKK, please show us a credible link.

(July 3, 2020 at 5:15 pm)no one Wrote: How about the Prince George County Redskins? I mean honestly, is Washington really that bad?

Come on man, get it right, they are currently the "Landover Maryland Redskins." Right county, but even counties have sub names for locals. 

Oh and I do miss RFK Stadium. Got to see Gibbs play Landry and Joe Montana and Jimmy Johnson, and Troy Aikman. 

RFK  stadium was fun. They had metal bleachers on both endzones you could stomp on and make fuckload of noise to drown out the play calls of the other teams.

Outside team names, I am really fucking sick of every damned sports stadium/arena named after a giant corporation.

I miss names like RFK, Candlestick Park, Soldier Field. Back then not everything was so hyper focused on money.
(July 3, 2020 at 5:21 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(July 3, 2020 at 5:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: ‘Wizards’? Seriously? They wanted to disassociate themselves from violence, so they picked a KKK title? Jaysus, why not just change it to ‘The Washington Imperial Dragons’?

Boru

Not at all. You really are reading too much into this. I grew up around DC and believe me, the "Wizards" was not chosen because of the KKK, it was just a stupid name, like Miami Dolphins.

It was like going from the "Washington Nazis" to the "Washington Ladybugs" they overcorrected.

I do think the "Wizard" name was more along the lines of fantasy like a si fi movie or Dungeons and Dragons, and not that Harry Potter existed back then. I think most of the name choice was matching "W" as in "Washington" with "W" as in si fi wizard.

But if you can find proof that the "Wizard" name was directed to honoring the KKK, please show us a credible link.

I never said the name was picked to honour the KKK. I’m sure it wasn’t, any more than the name ‘Bullets’ had anything to do with violence.

But their reason for choosing that name is immaterial (especially since they clearly didn’t mean it in any racist or derogatory sense). But people tend to read things into a name that aren’t there. Not sure if you recall, but you and I had a discussion several months ago regarding the name of the national New Zealand rugby team, the All Blacks. You said something along the lines of that name not being workable in the US because of racist connotations.

It’s the same thing with ‘Wizards’. Some people will be bound to read racism in the name, even though that’s obviously not the case.

Boru
(July 3, 2020 at 5:48 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(July 3, 2020 at 5:21 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Not at all. You really are reading too much into this. I grew up around DC and believe me, the "Wizards" was not chosen because of the KKK, it was just a stupid name, like Miami Dolphins.

I never said the name was picked to honour the KKK. I’m sure it wasn’t, any more than the name ‘Bullets’ had anything to do with violence.

But their reason for choosing that name is immaterial (especially since they clearly didn’t mean it in any racist or derogatory sense). But people tend to read things into a name that aren’t there. Not sure if you recall, but you and I had a discussion several months ago regarding the name of the national New Zealand rugby team, the All Blacks. You said something along the lines of that name not being workable in the US because of racist connotations.

It’s the same thing with ‘Wizards’. Some people will be bound to read racism in the name, even though that’s obviously not the case.

Boru

True. But that most certainly cannot be said about the word "Redskin".  And you are talking to a lifetime fan.

Back when the "Bullets" considered changing their name I would have argued, "It has nothing to do with violence, but mere speed." But again, at that time DC was the murder capital of America, so it makes sense now. 

But even with the "Redskins" name. Long ago prior to understanding history that I do now, I would have argued "It means pride and fearlessness and a warrior pride". But again, "Bullets, Redskins", there are simply times in history where doing the right thing matters more than a name.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good News for a Change. onlinebiker 6 361 February 7, 2021 at 11:52 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  BREAKING: China's communist party wants to change the internet protocols WinterHold 32 2165 April 2, 2020 at 8:33 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  CNN- UN expert recommends Kushner change his phone after suspected Saudi hack WinterHold 1 527 January 25, 2020 at 6:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Of Madonna, NFL and airlines. Brian37 1 284 January 21, 2020 at 10:50 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Things will be fine since they have that magic "R" next to their name A Godzilla fan 2 632 August 28, 2019 at 6:11 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Heineken pulls sponsorship from sports team Brian37 0 256 May 31, 2019 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Brian37
  NFL Team Considering Former US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice for Head Coach Seraphina 10 1238 November 18, 2018 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: CarveTheFive
  Donald Trump shuts down EPA's climate change website. Jehanne 6 831 November 4, 2018 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Poor Ivanka, shuts down her name brand. Brian37 7 1165 July 25, 2018 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Forgot to change name! RoadRunner79 33 2944 July 18, 2018 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda