Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 7:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
God Yahweh Allah was a volcano.
RE: God Yahweh Allah was a volcano.
(August 5, 2011 at 7:25 pm)Shell B Wrote: Don't worry. We don't want personal information. We just want to get an idea of who we are talking to, not where she lives or anything like that.

So, you don't think that investigating "objections" would be beneficial to your idea?

I just handled an objection from Minimalist. Some objections are just plain objectionable and not worth responding to. Others are genuine queries. It would be great if there were more of the latter and less of the former....and maybe more time for research. I think this is a largely untapped subject so there is a lot of investigating to do, which is very time consuming. It should be very clear now that I am not going to change my approach just because a lot of people think the Bible is entirely ficticious. I clearly do not share that opinion and I have my reasons for that...some of which will become apparent as this thread progresses.
(August 5, 2011 at 7:30 pm)Hannah Wrote: some of which will become apparent as this thread progresses.

I don't want to be a buzzkill, but kind of the reason I asked if you would want to chat with us on other topics is because I doubt this can go on this way much longer. If this thread is going to be entirely about what you think you know and you aren't going to listen to anyone else, they are going to get bored. As other people have expressed, it is a little surprising that has not happened yet.
Quote:I just handled an objection from Minimalist.

Well, THAT's news!!!
(August 5, 2011 at 1:08 pm)Hannah Wrote:

It would be far more reasonable to assume this narrative influenced the people's superstitions not by making them believe their god was a volcano, rather they attributed volcanic activity, earthquakes and many other things to the wrath of a God. None of this is supportive of the Idea that YHWH was a volcano.

Then again, nobody has actually found these cities, are there any extra-biblical sources for their existence? It is entirely likely that while some people may have found an area of volcanic activity where an earthquake once happened saying that two cities from a religious text once existed here and since we can't find them they must have fell down an abyss is bit ridiculous. Just how well are their locations described in the bible?

(August 5, 2011 at 7:23 pm)Hannah Wrote: I am recent Christian apostate who left Christianity due to a sinking feeling about a volcano.

And now you're looking for evidence to demonstrate a "sinking feeling"? Nothing necessarily wrong with that, just be aware of the biases you can fall prey to with this approach, especially when your feeling lead you to make a substantial world change.

Quote:I have a hunch the entire God-feeling can be put down to volcanoes and, being a free thinking truth seeker, I want to see if the evidence points to this.

You could falsify this rather easily if you're interested, for instance if you find a culture with a God who is clearly not a volcano or multiple gods who are clearly representative of something else. I can name about a dozen from the Maori culture; Ranginui was the "sky father", Tāne-mahuta was the "god of the forests and birds", Tangaroa was the "god of the sea", Rongo the "God of peace and agriculture", Haumia-tiketike the "God of wild foods", Rehua the Star and guidance, Punga the "god of ugly creatures" Etc...

Compared to the very few which could be in any way attributed to a volcano; Papatūānuku the "Earth mother", Ruaumoko the "source of earthquakes" and Tāwhirimātea the "god of weather"

This soundly disproves the notion that the "entire God-feeling" can be put down to volcanoes. With evidence now presented in strict contradiction to this notion will you now, being a truth seeker, drop that proposition?
Quote:I have a hunch the entire God-feeling can be put down to volcanoes and, being a free thinking truth seeker, I want to see if the evidence points to this.

We have examples of volcano gods ( goddesses) like Pele in Hawaii. There also seems to be a volcano-god tradition in Korea and Indonesia. However, Japan has 100 volcanoes and no tradition of ascribing them to the gods so the connection is not a constant.

The Greeks were exposed to Stromboli ( which has been erupting more or less continually for 20,000 years ) and Etna on Sicily which is almost as active and near Greek colonies on Sicily or Magna Graecia in Southern Italy. But the Greeks and their Roman copyists merely decided that volcanoes were the "workshops" of Hephaestus/Vulcan and not 'gods' in their own right.

That Yah began as a Midianite volcano god is certainly possible because unlike Egypt or Canaan we know there was at least one volcano in an area which could be described as Midian. WE also have an actual Egyptian inscription from the Temple of Karnak.

Quote:An Egyptian inscription at Karnak from the time of Pharaoh Amenhotep III (1390-1352 B.C.E.) refers to the "Shasu of Yhw," evidence that this god was worshiped among some of the Shasu tribes at this time

That Yah existed on the southern borders of Canaan and was subsequently either adopted or moved with his people northward is plausible. However, your problem is the insistence on treating bible fairy tales as if they are real.
Yah(weh) made it into the Canaanite pantheon but it was a long time before he was promoted to a single, male, creator god.
THE VOID:

Yahweh in the Bible is (chronologically early on) described as the god that brought Israel out of Egypt. Other than physical appearance (which is volcanic) he is described this way. My belief is that the Hebrews were in Egypt during the Santorini eruption and that they heard via refugees descriptions of the volcano. As it produced chaos allowing them to make a dash for freedom (or just a new life away from the chaos) with their Egyptian employers' gold, they attributed this natural occurance to a new god specifically for them and any future times they witnessed the same they again believed it to be the presence of their god. It is very clear in Exodus that the Hebrews needed to leave Egypt to worship their god. It wasn't possible to worship him in Egypt, therefore he had a defined location or locations. It is also very clear in Exodus that they believed god resided in the rim of the volcano at Mt Sinai. Lava rivers were his extended arms, flaming gas leaks were his angels, etc. The volcano was his home. Moses also, according to Exodus, met him at the top of Mt Sinai. In other words, he was tangible. This trait is lost later in the bible, when the massive devastations came to an end I assume. Then he became oomnipresent and in the heads of believers. Before, he was not in the heads of believers but in their view. They could see his abode and witness his wrath, etc, but he was not in their minds. It is, in my opinion, the fact his image was lost that made him omnipresent and eventually widely accepted as 'the god' of the world.

'God-feeling is down to a volcano'......with respect to yahweh. He started off as one thing and merged into something else but it was the innitial characteristics that set the firm foundations of the religion. It was mostly fear based (although there was forced gratitude for him helping them escape Egypt) and whatever happened in the area at the time must have been so profound it even frightened the Egyptians into believing in yahweh, albeit not worshipping him. It was only due to the Hebrews initially benefiting from the seismic disaster that they turned it into a god. Yes, other volcano gods have existed, and the Greek one may have influenced yahweh (especially given there may have been Greek refugees in the exodus), but how many volcano gods started off with such a massive event that also 'saved' a lot of people? The piety it must have resulted in will have meant the religion remained intact. Religions that are casually adhered to will not survive.

There are ash buried cities around the Dead Sea. I didn't have time to research them enough last night. Unfortunately most information will be from Christian sources and although you will get archaeological evidence of ash buried cities in the region from the right era you may also get information ommissions or outright lies. For example, the link I posted earlier claimed the cities were buried in ash and small sulphar balls that were not volcanic but that were derived from volcanic-intense heat. No such sulphar balls exist so that is either a lie or incorrect information. Either way, that article was pulled one week after it went live. Did they get lab test results back that confirmed the volcanic origin of the balls? If any information is discovered by Christians that could potentially be the piece that puts the puzzle together, expect it to be kept hidden. The main Saudi mountain tipped as Mt Sinai is mentioned in wiki with no mention of its volcanic origin despite, again, being capped with black heat exposed rocks. I did find this wiki entry in another psuedo-wiki site and the text was the same...word-for-word...except it still contained 'of volcanic origin'. I smell a cover-up. These discovery Christians might be out to get what they can spiritually but they all seem to be earning money from what they do so we should assume they will tweak their findings to best suit their financial needs. Leaving in 'of volcanic origin' would not exactly inspire Christians to buy their books would it? More likely they'd burn all their bibles instead. Now some Christians do seem prepared to mention volcanic activity but eventually the penny will drop and they'll either erase all information or eat some humble pie before spreading the good news of truth and liberty. Don't expect Israel, Jordan, Egypt or Saudi to get involved much in this. That would be like expecting Santa to investigate his own validity. Their involvement will go as far as proving the validity of Yahweh. Arhaelogical discoveries that put god at risk will soon be swept under the carpet.

Minimalist....

'However, your problem is the insistence on treating bible fairy tales as if they are real.'

I don't have a problem with it. You do. I treat all evidence the same....with discernment, albeit imperfectly. I feel sure it is a diary of events, mostly directions, names of places, laws, rituals, battles, etc. A think a vein of truth has been packaged with fantasy. There are two levels of untruth in the Bible. The first is the mistaken belief the volcanos were god. The second is the intentional packaging with fill-in and background myth. Once you appreciate the mistake that was made then you can picture the scene very easily. There is no logic to saying it was entirely fabricated. Evidence of them before they arrived in Israel will be skant as they lived like bedoins not leaving a trace. Besides, how long would you expect a broken pot to last in the desert? Sand blowing about will turn rocks into a beach. Once you give the Bible the benefit of the doubt then you start to realise it matches up with actual events, like the natural disaster I am uncovering that seems to have affected the whole of the Middle East. The skant evidence of natural disasters and evidence in the bible coroborate each other. There is a parallel there but you have to actively look for it. I've presented enough evidence to prove there is a definite correlation. Please go through my posts if you've missed it.

It is entirely possible for the Bible to contain a vein of truth and for it also to be wrong. It is possible to be an atheist and to believe some of the bible is true and that Jesus existed, the latter's existence even believed by Dawkins. It is, of course, much easier to just say it was all entirely fabricated.

'Of course Jesus was a theist, but that is the least interesting thing about him. He was a theist because, in his time, everybody was. Atheism was not an option, even for so radical a thinker as Jesus. What was interesting and remarkable about Jesus was not the obvious fact that he believed in the God of his Jewish religion, but that he rebelled against many aspects of Yahweh's vengeful nastiness. At least in the teachings that are attributed to him, he publicly advocated niceness and was one of the first to do so. To those steeped in the Sharia-like cruelties of Leviticus and Deuteronomy; to those brought up to fear the vindictive, Ayatollah-like God of Abraham and Isaac, a charismatic young preacher who advocated generous forgiveness must have seemed radical to the point of subversion. No wonder they nailed him.' Richard Dawkins.

I feel sure does not equal it is
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 6, 2011 at 9:56 am)Rhythm Wrote: I feel sure does not equal it is

What a clever boy you are?! That is the very reason I used 'I feel sure' rather than 'it is'.

Would you rather I use 'it is' rather than 'I feel sure' from now on?

Are we going to have a two page commentary now on this? Is this really necessary? Do you only ever spot the little niggly things that match your pessimistic outlook?
Pessimist? I'm going to use you as a character reference the next time someone accuses me of being a hopeless optimist.

Do you have any more scripture that you would like for us to consider?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:My belief is that the Hebrews were in Egypt during the Santorini eruption and that they heard via refugees descriptions of the volcano.

And, at the risk of cutting you off before you begin another absurd rant, THIS is your problem. You BELIEVE.

Facts are stubborn things so you ignore them and accept fiction.

1. There is no evidence that there were any "Hebrews" at all in the 17th century BC.

2. Egypt was not significantly impacted by Santorini's explosion - although her economy probably suffered because her trading partners were seriously damaged.

3. An exodus in 1625 BC would put the construction of the "temple" around 1200 BC and even fundies, stupid as they are, will not accept that.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but you are claiming your own facts. And you are simply wrong.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2455 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did Yahweh do us a favor by denying us eternal life? Greatest I am 30 2752 July 26, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  It's Time to Play...WHO'S WORSE THAN YAHWEH! Astonished 37 11533 September 11, 2017 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  If Yahweh exists, is he a fraud? Cecelia 33 5542 November 17, 2016 at 5:00 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Elohim and Yahweh are 2 Different Gods Rhondazvous 29 11355 May 17, 2016 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Did Yahweh Set Adam Up? Rhondazvous 123 19859 May 2, 2015 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12766 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  Yahweh, the Devil, and Job Cinjin 213 72907 November 27, 2013 at 11:09 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Why Don't Christians refer to god as yahweh Lemonvariable72 53 11288 October 20, 2013 at 12:12 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Differing Interpretations on Yahweh's Morality and Capabilities Michael Schubert 20 8117 September 13, 2013 at 1:08 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle