Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 9:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist
RE: Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist
Worship the sun, pray to Joe Pesci.

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 7, 2017 at 8:29 am)MysticKnight Wrote:
(November 6, 2017 at 11:53 am)Whateverist Wrote: Everyone has that which is necessary to make meaning and find purpose in life.  Not everyone draws on what is commonly known as "religion".  If you mean to redefine religion as "whatever one uses to make meaning and find purpose in life", then of course you would be correct even though you would have said nothing at all.
It says a lot. It says you guys want to make yourself different, but really you are not all too different.  You value something above all else (whatever that is, is a god to you), you try to finding meaning in that, and you have your way of defining right and wrong, and have your way of explaining life. There is nothing different. You have a creed, a religion, an ideology, a way of life, and you have a god or gods among many gods.  And you centre your attention on people you don't know for sure are worth that attention just like all false religions do.
This is what it proves.

It says a lot about you that you have to label something "god" just to try and sound less stupid and arrogant.

What I value the most is in no way related to the term "god".
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."  - Samuel Porter Putnam

(November 7, 2017 at 8:29 am)MysticKnight Wrote: It says a lot. It says you guys want to make yourself different, but really you are not all too different.

I don't 'want' to make myself different. My atheism is in no way, a rebellion against societal norms. It is simply a result of skepticism being correctly applied to the god claim.

Quote:You value something above all else (whatever that is, is a god to you), you try to finding meaning in that, and you have your way of defining right and wrong, and have your way of explaining life. There is nothing different. You have a creed, a religion, an ideology, a way of life, and you have a god or gods among many gods.  And you centre your attention on people you don't know for sure are worth that attention just like all false religions do.
This is what it proves.

The fact that I values, lets say, family and friends above above all else, does not in any way make that my 'god'. Sorry, but the word 'god' has a lot of baggage associated with it, that being; supernatural powers, universe creating, miracle performing, etc. If you are going to redefine 'god' in such a way as to remove all that, to whatever I care most about, you have just castrated any meaning from the word.

I have zero religions. Again, if you want to redefine that word to mean anything you want to make me seem as gullible as you, then have at it. But you are no different than those that say something like, "god is love". Everything you are attributing to us that you think defines us as having a religion, have better words that already exist.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(November 7, 2017 at 4:34 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:  Sorry, but the word 'god' has a lot of baggage associated with it, that being; supernatural powers, universe creating, miracle performing, etc. If you are going to redefine 'god' in such a way as to remove all that, to whatever I care most about, you have just castrated any meaning from the word.

None of that is true.  Some societes worshipped their ancestors, some worshipped stone idols and didn't believe they created the universe or had much powers aside from representing an unseen form of hidden beings, but they considered them worthy of worship because they represented something. 

And at truth is it, no one ever worshipped a fake mythology for the sake of the fake mythology, but love out of their fake leaders and that was love that stemmed out of selfishness to lower leadership and use religion as a means to deceive oneself will be safe and good in the next world.

We can't worship God for the sake of ourselves except we would be equating ourselves or even valuing ourselves above God. God doesn't forgive anything be associated with him in the level of highest value.

And if you think about, this unjust preference of ourselves is the source of injustice and imbalance in society. It makes the poor poor, wars, etc....

Cure that, and everything will be set. And the technology that would have ensued under the guidance of God's chosen ones would have been much better than what we have today and better used.
That's a new one.  You really think that, if we had followed a bunch of iron age bigots factually inaccurate superstitions..we'd have invented supertech and been living in utopia?  

Why didn't the people who stuck with bigoted iron age superstition do so,..then?  Can we expect your nobel winning thesis to drop any day now?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 7, 2017 at 9:29 pm)Khemikal Wrote: we'd have invented supertech and been living in utopia?  

I believe if those entrusted Quran and the household of revelation,  would have upheld their part. No corruption would exist today, in any form. No illness, no disease, no evil.

I blame all the world problems on Muslims including the Shiites who failed to help the Imams with sincerity and resolve.
Yeah, that's the ticket, blame all the worlds problems on muslims.  What could possibly go wrong?
(November 7, 2017 at 10:14 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I believe if those entrusted Quran and the household of revelation,  would have upheld their part. No corruption would exist today, in any form. No illness, no disease, no evil.

Yeah, sounds nice. Why don't you bend over and pray to the Fairies, or whatever, until THAT happens. Let us know how that works out...

(November 7, 2017 at 10:14 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: I blame all the world problems on Muslims including the Shiites who failed to help the Imams with sincerity and resolve.

Yeah, well - your dumb god should have known better, than to trust brown people, amirite?... Tongue

Make Islam Great Again!
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(November 7, 2017 at 10:14 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(November 7, 2017 at 9:29 pm)Khemikal Wrote: we'd have invented supertech and been living in utopia?  

I believe if those entrusted Quran and the household of revelation,  would have upheld their part. No corruption would exist today, in any form. No illness, no disease, no evil.

I blame all the world problems on Muslims including the Shiites who failed to help the Imams with sincerity and resolve.

Then you're one gullible person.
"The last superstition of the human mind is the superstition that religion in itself is a good thing."  - Samuel Porter Putnam

The promise is they will be replaced by another people if they continue in their rebellion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does Sam Harris mean by saying that religions are failed sciences? FlatAssembler 18 1185 January 23, 2024 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 15453 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5866 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Having religious friends when you're atheist Bahana 15 2709 March 10, 2019 at 1:37 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5351 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7114 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Why science and religious fatih need not be in conflict: It's as easy as 1-2-3! Whateverist 123 37649 May 15, 2017 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  A god who doesn't believe in himself? ErikB 6 1778 January 21, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: ErikB
  Amos Yee : Atheist arrested twice for "intention to wound religious feelings" Incognito 20 7049 January 14, 2017 at 8:45 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  "God doesn't Exist"- Claim or Conclusion RiddledWithFear 105 18974 December 28, 2016 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda