Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 8:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Men's Rights Movement
RE: Men's Rights Movement
(December 21, 2017 at 1:51 pm)Thena323 Wrote: Do you not understand that there can be a fair amount of daylight between having rights in theory and having them in practice?

EXACTLY. And feminists who actually support women's rights are more feminist than 'feminists' who 'support' women's rights.

The 'feminists' don't speak for the feminists. Whether someone is actually correctly being a good feminist is the important thing. It's annoying when the so-called 'extremist feminists' are seen to be feminists when they're clearly something beyond actual feminism.
No true Scotsman
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(December 21, 2017 at 12:13 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Tib's is the most chill and reasonable person here. That you're attacking his character really takes away any credibility that you might have had.

Lolwut??

(December 21, 2017 at 2:37 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Holy crap this thread has really turned to shit.

I wasn't trying to argue FOR mra's, just saying the documentary showed me they make some valid points that I hadn't before considered. No one here is arguing for mra's.

Lots of people are, I mean obviously. And I am unconvinced that anything shown yet seems valid. It mostly seems poorly thought out and a basically transparent smoke screen for just being anti feminist. A real mens right group wouldn't be against feminism at all. Like a real straight pride parade wouldn't be against gays.

Reality shows what the agenda of MRAs is. Just bashing on feminism.

(December 21, 2017 at 2:55 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: No true Scotsman

Fallacy fallacy.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(December 21, 2017 at 3:04 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote:
(December 21, 2017 at 12:13 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Tib's is the most chill and reasonable person here. That you're attacking his character really takes away any credibility that you might have had.

Lolwut??

(December 21, 2017 at 2:37 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Holy crap this thread has really turned to shit.

I wasn't trying to argue FOR mra's, just saying the documentary showed me they make some valid points that I hadn't before considered. No one here is arguing for mra's.

Lots of people are, I mean obviously. And I am unconvinced that anything shown yet seems valid. It mostly seems poorly thought out and a basically transparent smoke screen for just being anti feminist. A real mens right group wouldn't be against feminism at all. Like a real straight pride parade wouldn't be against gays.

Reality shows what the agenda of MRAs is. Just bashing on feminism.

(December 21, 2017 at 2:55 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: No true Scotsman

Fallacy fallacy.

I've never seen Tib lose his cool, and while I don't always agree with him, his points are always well thought out and objective. Calling him an alt right sympathizer and saying things like "someone like you" just makes me roll my eyes and feel tempted to disregard whatever else is being said.
Have you seen the doc? I used to think the same thing about "men's rights." While I certainly wouldn't call myself MRA, I see now that men do have their own set of disadvantages.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I agree with CL. Hammy committed a no true scotsman fallacy. Extreme feminists aren't "feminists"... they're feminists. The fact that they are extreme doesn't exclude them from feminism.
Who in this thread is arguing for MRAs?
In support of their platform or right to exist? I support the latter (unlike some others apparently).
(December 21, 2017 at 2:43 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: .
I think if people actually watched the doc rather than acting like a brick wall simply because it's coming from a group of people called "MRA's," we would all agree that some real valid points are raised.

(December 21, 2017 at 2:42 pm)Thena323 Wrote: And I can't imagine why you'd imply that I disagree with any of the above issues, seeing as though I don't....Unless of course, you haven't bothered to read your own goddamned thread in it's entirety.

Why don't you run along and do that before you start flapping your gums again?

Um, you said "i specifically labeled your husband [tibs] as a sympathizer, because he parrots their talking points."

So, I'm asking you. WHAT "talking points" exactly did he "parrot" that you disagree with? The list I made above is pretty much the crux of what his opinions on the issue are, as far as I can tell.

CL, Why don't just read your thread? I just posted about it this morning.

Go back a few pages, and you'll see where and why I stated that Tib shares many of the anti-feminist sentiments of the Men's Right's/Alt-Right movements. Go back a page or two further, you'll see Tibs railing on about the all of the batshit crazy feminists of the world who are out to undermine him personally, and how I was targeting him as a white male.  Huh

Tibs knows why I said what I said. That's why he responded accordingly. It's all there. Go read it if you're interested.
You’re so full of shit. This is a waste of time.
(December 21, 2017 at 2:40 pm)Tiberius Wrote:
(December 21, 2017 at 2:25 pm)Thena323 Wrote: Again....I called him a sympathizer. Go on ahead and Google the definition if you must.
Because most certainly is, in regards to their notably lopsided views of feminism.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/defini...ympathizer

"A person who agrees with or supports a sentiment, opinion, or ideology."

The alt-right is an ideology. I don't support the ideology of the alt-right, therefore I cannot be an alt-right sympathizer.

Hey Tibs...Did you stretch before doing those gymnastics? LOL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The prevalence of HIV among gay men darnwelling 30 2047 January 11, 2023 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: darnwelling
  A question for the straight men Catholic_Lady 87 13441 January 11, 2023 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Little green men just got real. ignoramus 87 7693 July 7, 2021 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The army is one of the best examples of gender inequality towards MEN Macoleco 64 5766 February 18, 2021 at 8:04 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Real Men onlinebiker 111 5978 January 28, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Men who don't flush public toilets Alexmahone 32 3315 April 25, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  men and women with tattoos, hot or not? orthodox-man 110 21712 April 24, 2018 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Question for the heterosexual men of AF Catholic_Lady 242 28684 April 18, 2018 at 11:40 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Men: How do You Define Yourself? Rhondazvous 33 2730 April 3, 2018 at 5:51 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Do Women Need Men? Rhondazvous 57 6483 July 26, 2017 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Shell B