Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 10:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your values?
RE: What are your values?
Think and Care.

Think:
Lern as much as possible about as many things as possible.
Think about the consequences of your actions.
Try to understand what other people are thinking and why they believe as they do.

Care:
Help others.
Try to leave things better than you found them.
Be considerate.
Care about how your actions affect others.
Accept differences.
(January 8, 2018 at 10:25 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: A serious answer:

One of the core parts of my beliefs/values is that we’re all responsible for the company we keep.  Even family, once we’re adults.  So I have a really dim view of people who complain about all the negative drama in their life, yet continue to surround themselves with idiots and assholes.

I don’t have many people that I’m legitimately close to in my life.  Part of it is because of my disability, but part of it is also by choice.  I have too much crap to worry about in my day-to-day life to be dragged down by another’s inability to competently handle their own life.  I turn 38 next month.  I figure that if someone is around my age and they haven’t figured out how to be an adult, I don’t want them in my life.

It may sound unnecessarily harsh, but I’m in a vulnerable position.  My continued survival relies on surrounding myself with good actors.  I don’t have the luxury to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the fundamentals.

No, I'm with you 100%. Fuck people who aren't there for you as much as you are there for them. Seeing good in everyone is a flaw IMO, not a virtue. There are people out there whose main purpose in life is to leech off others and take advantage of them, especially people who are seen as easy targets for their manipulation. That's all they know what to do to live.
-Treat others the way they wish to be treated, so long as it's at no significant cost to you
-Strive to be the best version of me I can be
-Enjoy life, it's the only one you've got
-Learn something every day
-Teach something at every opportunity
-A good deed is it's own reward.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
In no particular order:

Learn something new every day. If not, repeat a valuable lesson learned.
Do minimal harm, this includes stuff like having the least carbon footprint, not buying factory processed meat and so on.
Give effectively, not just altruistically (effective altruism).
Everyone starts at 10/10 and only afterwards work themselves downwards in my personal ratings.
Enjoy to strive for important goals in life, learn to accept suffering and struggles as part of life.
Life's too short to dwell on the past and coming future, live for the most part in the present.
Minimize waste.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
Integrity, forgiveness, and courage.

I try:

To be open-minded.
To form my opinion about people by my own experience with them.
To remember the bad things people do to me and act on having my revenge.

I live to:

Eat meat.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
(January 7, 2018 at 5:23 am)Longhorn Wrote: In no particular order

Live and let live - do what you want and let others do what they want. I guess you could call this personal freedom
Assume personal responsibility for your life and the choices you make
Empathy - do not harm anyone if possible, and that includes yourself
Friendship. That’s something I value a lot.
Truth. Always look for it and strive to live accordingly to it, whatever it may be.
Carpe diem. Be in the moment.
Trust that all will be well. That’s the closest thing I have to faith.

Can’t think of more right now, will add if I do.

Self fucking respect. You’ll learn that soon.
There's a lot of vows in this thread to be "good."

Israel made the same mistake at Mt Sinai. They wanted to be removed from the presence of God, which made them quake in their sandals.
On the other hand Moses wanted to see his face.

But the Israelites, who fled the scene and had a rebellious party, were the ones who vowed to be good, when it was not required to do so.

They had the chance to know who God really was, to be a friend like Moses, but they choose a strange system of promises instead, which they never kept as history tells.

Humanism raised its ugly head at Mt Sinai, once again, the human race isn't interested in being friends with God, instead it chooses to rebel, and then pretends that it is able to spontaneously produce goodness, as if God is dead.

If we are friends with God, we will not need to take any ridiculous self righteous vows, which don't even last till Monday morning.
Jerkoff
My values?

Tell horrible jokes.
Piss fundies of every label off
Write poetry
Hope the Skins stop sucking some day.
(EDIT)

FUCK, I forgot to mention "Turn ABBA into a religion, and force it on 7 billion humans by sword."  Nobody who hates Dancing Queen should be considered moral or human.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there any "atheist values" like "Christian values"? ErGingerbreadMandude 37 3099 January 7, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Anybody Have a Copy frichard Robinson's An Atheists Values can Borrow or Buy? Rhondazvous 1 574 June 18, 2016 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  The impudent interference of the European's way of life and values rado84 27 4279 September 13, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  What values... lifesagift 7 1143 November 2, 2014 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: lifesagift
  We played by your rules.. [was 'What JudeoChristian values have brought us'] Rokcet Scientist 19 3483 November 14, 2011 at 3:38 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko