Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 2, 2024, 8:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christianity Is The BEST Religion....
RE: Christianity Is The BEST Religion....
(February 20, 2018 at 6:53 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(February 20, 2018 at 3:29 pm)Whateverist Wrote: There is no basis for suggesting that life can continue after death, so there is no reason to raise that as a possibility.  Death just is the end of a life.  If it wasn't alive it can't die.  If it has died it is no longer alive.  You can't know that there is a supernatural zone where your supernatural soul-body will go when your flesh and blood body dies.  That is just a fantasy that has been told so long by so many that it seems like something you can say publicly to other adults and get agreement.  But for those of us lacking that crazy idea there is reason to give it the slightest consideration.  That part of what you believe is absolutely absurd.

Apparently there is basis for the suggestion.
http://bigthink.com/paul-ratner/why-a-ge...ntum-level
Quote:But there are some who think our attempts at understanding the nature of consciousness through neuroscience are doomed to fail unless quantum mechanics is involved. World-renowned Oxford University mathematical physicist Sir Roger Penrose, for one, thinks that consciousness has quantum origins.

You are more impressed with appeals to authority than am I.  Once again you pick one person with no relevant expertise with an odd ball opinion and you wave that cherry proudly like it was the gold standard.  It isn't.  

(February 20, 2018 at 3:29 pm)Whateverist Wrote: Life requires energy just as many other things do.  Life itself is not energy.  A light bulb requires electricity to be lit, but the bulb itself is not electricity.  A gas powered car requires fuel to run, but the car itself is not fuel.  How do you come up with this rubbish?

So what you're saying is that just like a car or light bulb, we can bring the human body back to life if supplied with energy? Thinking

That your best shot?  Swing and a miss.  Neither was I saying that like those things life too is an inanimate object.  No the analogy is about mistaking what is necessary to sustain something with the thing itself.  Life requires/uses energy but is not itself energy.  

(February 20, 2018 at 3:29 pm)Whateverist Wrote: No, if you only want to use science to confirm those parts of your fable that haven't already run aground on reality, then you are obviously someone with no real appreciation for science or how it works.  Nobody hearing you proudly exclaiming how your fable fits with science will pay you any mind so long as they've already heard you dismiss science out of hand where it contradicts your non-negotiable beliefs.

In case you forgot, I issued a challenge to anyone to show where science debunked the bible, not one of you could do it, so saying I dismiss science where It contradicts my beliefs is just an outright lie.

That is not even slightly responsive to what I said.  I'm not interested in what debates you think you've won in the past.  If you have nothing to say concerning your selective regard for science just say so.
(February 20, 2018 at 7:20 pm)Whateverist Wrote: You are more impressed with appeals to authority than am I.  Once again you pick one person with no relevant expertise with an odd ball opinion and you wave that cherry proudly like it was the gold standard.  It isn't.

I didn't realize there was a field of expertise concerning life after death...

So how may people are required in order to draw your attention?  

(February 20, 2018 at 7:20 pm)Whateverist Wrote:
(February 20, 2018 at 6:53 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: So what you're saying is that just like a car or light bulb, we can bring the human body back to life if supplied with energy? Thinking

That your best shot?  Swing and a miss.  Neither was I saying that like those things life too is an inanimate object.  No the analogy is about mistaking what is necessary to sustain something with the thing itself.  Life requires/uses energy but is not itself energy.

If life "uses" energy as you claim (you compared it to a light bulb and automobile) then all you have to do to bring a dead body back to life is supply energy, correct? The organs of a dead body clearly work when transplanted to a live one, so why not just supply 'energy' to the body as a whole and bring it back to life since that all it lacks?

(February 20, 2018 at 7:20 pm)Whateverist Wrote:
(February 20, 2018 at 6:53 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: In case you forgot, I issued a challenge to anyone to show where science debunked the bible, not one of you could do it, so saying I dismiss science where It contradicts my beliefs is just an outright lie.

That is not even slightly responsive to what I said.  I'm not interested in what debates you think you've won in the past.  If you have nothing to say concerning your selective regard for science just say so.

As I explained I'm not selective in regards to science, It's my position that there is no science that debunks the bible, if you think there is then provide it and we'll see if i'm being selective or not.
(February 20, 2018 at 6:53 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: So what you're saying is that just like a car or light bulb, we can bring the human body back to life if supplied with energy? Thinking

Are you saying that would be impossible?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 20, 2018 at 7:36 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(February 20, 2018 at 7:20 pm)Whateverist Wrote: You are more impressed with appeals to authority than am I.  Once again you pick one person with no relevant expertise with an odd ball opinion and you wave that cherry proudly like it was the gold standard.  It isn't.

I didn't realize there was a field of expertise concerning life after death...

So how may people are required in order to draw your attention?  

(February 20, 2018 at 7:20 pm)Whateverist Wrote: That your best shot?  Swing and a miss.  Neither was I saying that like those things life too is an inanimate object.  No the analogy is about mistaking what is necessary to sustain something with the thing itself.  Life requires/uses energy but is not itself energy.

If life "uses" energy as you claim (you compared it to a light bulb and automobile) then all you have to do to bring a dead body back to life is supply energy, correct? The organs of a dead body clearly work when transplanted to a live one, so why not just supply 'energy' to the body as a whole and bring it back to life since that all it lacks?

(February 20, 2018 at 7:20 pm)Whateverist Wrote: That is not even slightly responsive to what I said.  I'm not interested in what debates you think you've won in the past.  If you have nothing to say concerning your selective regard for science just say so.

As I explained I'm not selective in regards to science, It's my position that there is no science that debunks the bible, if you think there is then provide it and we'll see if i'm being selective or not.

More words would just be wasted on you.
I'll ask: how would one supply energy to a dead body?
(February 20, 2018 at 7:58 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: I'll ask: how would one supply energy to a dead body?

Lightning?

[Image: tumblr_mv5cqxMwOh1sj67gjo1_500.gif]
Hehe

But, seriously, while the layperson often thinks that defibrillation jump starts a person's heart, in actuality it's used when the heart is suffering from a dysrhythmia.  Specifically, it's used to force the heart to get its electrical pulses firing in a regular rhythm again.  It's useless if the heart has actually stopped.

CPR itself is more about keeping blood flowing to the brain than anything else.  And even with chest compression, there's no guarantee that a viable defibrillation rhythm will occur.

And, really, all of this is dancing around one important fact: people die for a reason.  Whether it's trauma, disease, or age-related organ failure, dead bodies are dead because they can no longer sustain life.  There's a reason why the vast majority of people who need CPR (which is an infusion of kinetic energy (chest compression) and often electricity (defibrillation)) still die (~37% survival rate in the best circumstances (trained professional, shockable heart rhythm, supplementary equipment, witness to ensure correctness, etc.) shortly after measures are taken, even if they're able to achieve spontaneous circulation again.

It should also be noted that CPR isn't performed on the dead, but the unresponsive.

So, yeah... how does one supply a dead body energy, and how does that revive it?
Apparently it doesn't. Which could be interesting.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(February 20, 2018 at 2:23 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(February 20, 2018 at 12:19 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: This is just a snippet of what science has to say on the subject of life after death. Not that I think you’re going to give the article a modicum of sincere consideration, seeing as it doesn’t contain any bible passages.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...ly-be-you/
First of all, it's clear that your article isn't objective.

Not objective?  That’s what rational skepticism is.  It means taking a neutral position; the position of withholding belief in a claim, until there is enough evidence to draw a reasonable conclusion.  If that’s not an objective approach to you, then what is?

Quote:This idea is not too far afield from a real theory called quantum consciousness, proffered by a wide range of people, from physicist Roger Penrose to physician Deepak Chopra. Some versions hold that our mind is not strictly the product of our brain and that consciousness exists separately from material substance, so the death of your physical body is not the end of your conscious existence.
Quote:How does this disagree with what I've been saying?

It doesn’t, but then the article continues on to explain how these quantum theories are not compatible with demonstrable scientific facts.  That was kind of the whole point of the article.

Quote:The film triggered a number of problems I have identified with all such concepts, both scientific and religious.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(February 18, 2018 at 12:55 am)Nimbus Wrote: Christianity is the best religion because you'll have a god that you can trust to lead you to the light, a god that will help you through dark times.

Why do atheists have aversion to the fact that there is an afterlife and that there is a god?

Does any atheists care to respond?

"Fact"?
Morituri Delendi!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best books on religion? EgoDeath 15 1860 August 29, 2019 at 7:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why is religion especially Christianity so widely practied? GODZILLA 69 7419 February 19, 2019 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Bad Religion: How Trump is warping Christianity for his own gain. Foxaèr 4 1096 February 6, 2017 at 4:47 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11262 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5088 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20201 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Gandhi rejected Christianity as a false religion Foxaèr 13 4378 January 2, 2015 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 51548 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5292 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused