Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 8:11 pm

Poll: How do you account for psychopaths?
This poll is closed.
I don’t believe God is responsible for our morality
50.00%
4 50.00%
I don’t accept that psychopaths really exist
0%
0 0%
Psychopaths are choosing to ignore their innate sense of right and wrong
0%
0 0%
God mistakenly misses out psychopaths when granting morality
0%
0 0%
It’s the psychopath’s fault they have no empathy
25.00%
2 25.00%
It’s because of “the fall”
0%
0 0%
Other
25.00%
2 25.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists: how do you account for psychopaths?
RE: Theists: how do you account for psychopaths?
Quote:I'm only a little human living in a tiny part of the universe for a tiny amount of time, in the face of all eternity. All I can see is the here and now, this tiny portion, not even close to the big picture. I'm not going to presume to know better than a being who can see everything. It makes sense logically, but I understand how hard it is to accept, emotionally. Especially when going through very difficult times.
Nope if god can't give a good reason here and now it's a safe bet there is not one . We would never accept that kind of logic from some else so why should anyone do so for a god . It's terrible reason .

(May 25, 2018 at 5:45 pm)Edwardo Piet Wrote:
(May 25, 2018 at 5:40 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I'm only a little human living in a tiny part of the universe for a tiny amount of time, in the face of all eternity. All I can see is the here and now, this tiny portion, not even close to the big picture. I'm not going to presume to know better than a being who can see everything. It makes sense logically, but I understand how hard it is to accept, emotionally. Especially when going through very difficult times.

But you do presume that such a being has a good reason for allowing awful things to happen to innocent children and animals.
A line of reason i doubt she would accept from anyone else .But a god gets a pass .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(May 25, 2018 at 5:45 pm)Edwardo Piet Wrote:
(May 25, 2018 at 5:40 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I'm only a little human living in a tiny part of the universe for a tiny amount of time, in the face of all eternity. All I can see is the here and now, this tiny portion, not even close to the big picture. I'm not going to presume to know better than a being who can see everything. It makes sense logically, but I understand how hard it is to accept, emotionally. Especially when going through very difficult times.

But you do presume that such a being has a good reason for allowing awful things to happen to innocent children and animals.

I presume He has a good reason for allowing the natural world to take its course as it may. Sometimes good comes of that, sometimes bad comes of that. I presume overall the net good is greater, in the grand scheme of things.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(May 25, 2018 at 8:06 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I presume He has a good reason for allowing the natural world to take its course as it may. Sometimes good comes of that, sometimes bad comes of that. I presume overall the net good is greater, in the grand scheme of things.

Overall, I think the way you think is something that stinks of a septic tank.
Quote:I presume He has a good reason for allowing the natural world to take its course as it may. Sometimes good comes of that, sometimes bad comes of that. I presume overall the net good is greater, in the grand scheme of things.
That's pretty naive and unreasonable presumption.There is zero logic in having any bad .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(May 24, 2018 at 7:42 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(May 24, 2018 at 6:30 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: If you think I haven't stretched myself on that rack, you are sorely mistaken. Since you mentioned moral Platonism, I will say that Plato has been a huge influence upon my ethics, second only perhaps to Spinoza.

Your "infinite regression" is nothing new. Plato covers it in Book II of the Republic. A well-ordered soul demands cohesion with the truth. The truth is that there is an objectively discernible good.

The issue  with your moral quandary is that you assume there is no underlying truth... that there is no answer to the question "Why is that wrong?"--there is an answer.

My last sentence was a bit inaccurate. You think there IS an answer.

Why is that wrong?
-because God.

To me, that answer is incoherent. It dodges the question and confuses the issue and in no way represents moral objectivity.

I'd be curious to hear about this, if you dont mind me asking.

Playing devil's advocate here, why is murder objectively wrong?

So the answer to this is not an easy one. And my reason is philosophical (though hopefully it's clear by now I don't use big, obtuse words when I philosophize). Still, your question is a tall order, and I have broken into three questions. Please choose which of the three is the sticking point for you (or if more than one is, choose more than one).

1) Is anything right or wrong at all? (metaethics- I think this is what you really want to know.).
2) Why is murder wrong? (this is what you asked, but without me filling in #1, the answer to this may be dissatisfying).
3) Even assuming that it can be demonstrated that murder is wrong, why should I not murder someone if I can easily get away with it? ("If God is dead, everything is permitted"-Dostoevsky).
Vulcan doing the naughty. You don't win by answering a question with questions.
You don't win by answering questions with a five page essay, either. With a five page essay, nobody wins. Wink
I've yet to see the wonder of a five page essay on here.
I think everything will make sense to us someday, and we will understand why.

(May 25, 2018 at 9:07 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(May 24, 2018 at 7:42 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I'd be curious to hear about this, if you dont mind me asking.

Playing devil's advocate here, why is murder objectively wrong?

So the answer to this is not an easy one. And my reason is philosophical (though hopefully it's clear by now I don't use big, obtuse words when I philosophize). Still, your question is a tall order, and I have broken into three questions. Please choose which of the three is the sticking point for you (or if more than one is, choose more than one).

1) Is anything right or wrong at all? (metaethics- I think this is what you really want to know.).
2) Why is murder wrong? (this is what you asked, but without me filling in #1, the answer to this may be dissatisfying).
3) Even assuming that it can be demonstrated that murder is wrong, why should I not murder someone if I can easily get away with it? ("If God is dead, everything is permitted"-Dostoevsky).

If I didn't believe in God and thought morality was subjective, I still wouldn't murder anyone because of the whole empathy thing.

My question is #2, but since you said you have to answer 1 for it, go ahead lol.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Quote:If I didn't believe in God and thought morality was subjective, I still wouldn't murder anyone because of the whole empathy thing. 
If god doesn't exist morality is still objective . And no most atheist don't believe it's subjective.

Quote:I think everything will make sense to us someday, and we will understand why.
That's some weak reasoning. There is no reason it should not make sense now . We would never accept that reasoning in any other scenario it seems like special pleading.

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 33748 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17777 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 17012 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7859 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 105046 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  The Biblical Account of the Creation - A new look RonaldMcRaygun 10 3005 March 31, 2017 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Theists: would you view the truth? robvalue 154 18958 December 25, 2016 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Why are you Against Homosexuality (to theists) ScienceAf 107 17223 September 2, 2016 at 2:59 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Forum theists: when you have a moment, please... Athene 125 27441 October 27, 2015 at 11:09 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Theists, what does faith mean to you? Tartarus Sauce 133 32949 August 14, 2015 at 9:21 am
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce