Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 25, 2024, 6:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are you rude?
RE: Why are you rude?
There are several reasons.

First it's an atheist place. And many atheists have a complex to "go against anything the religious do or might do". So if a religious person says yes, an atheist would say no. If a religious person pull, the atheist push. It's like they say "hey hey look at me, I'm Godless, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay I curse !)
(note: not always though).

Second some theists bring it upon themselves by practicing missionary tactics in preaching, which are very irritating.

Third most atheists want to bash the religious, so they login here angry and full of anger towards the religious. BTW; in religious forums, you'll find religious people who want to bash non-religious people too.

Forth some members are freaks of nature. They are insane, and it has nothing to do with religion, but everything to do with their history in real life. Some have pretty fucked up backgrounds and conditions.

Fifth The world is a bad place. Anonymity gets the worst out of people, and the proof is the internet.

Sixth This place is much much better than so many other places online, and despite having fucked up people -like me-, you'll find a heart behind the insults.
I happen to believe that "despicable language" is the height of class.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(July 22, 2018 at 1:58 pm)Graufreud Wrote: I didn't create this thread because someone was rude to me.
I just don't understand why it's considered acceptable here to use vile language even if you strongly disagree with your opponents.

Because it's just words. At the end of the day, I'm only responsible for what I say, not what others choose to understand.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(July 22, 2018 at 12:42 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(July 22, 2018 at 12:21 pm)Graufreud Wrote: I like it here and I love you in a nonsexual way, but why are many people here are rude?
--
Is it abstinence syndrome? Is it because you miss Gawd so much?

Fuck off you sissy dick swab.

Oops, sorry. That's a nice snowflake (pats on head). You're beautiful.

Don't listen to Brewer. He's angry because he's got a face like a dog! hehe
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 23, 2018 at 4:28 am)ignoramus Wrote:
(July 22, 2018 at 12:42 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Fuck off you sissy dick swab.

Oops, sorry. That's a nice snowflake (pats on head). You're beautiful.

Don't listen to Brewer. He's angry because he's got a face like a dog! hehe

Yeah.

Scooby-Doo.

He keeps it on the wall of his garage next to the head of Chuck Norris (a gift from me).

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
No biggie, Chuck will grow back a new one.

[opens Atheist's Guide to the Internet to page 1, line 2]: "Rudeness to theists of all stripes must be evidenced every day". See, it's in the script! Smile

...but I just lurve how many people blanket atheists as being angry. What a canard.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I try not to be rude to people.

I find it upsets my targets a lot more to use terms like religionist, 'your god', christian with a lower c, and to ask awkward questions to point out flaws in what people think.

I don't see that as any more morally wrong than using offensive language. I personally get more offended by offensive ideas and respond in kind.
(July 22, 2018 at 1:33 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: I prefer the term “politeness adjacent”

Or "alternatively polite", but then I am probably just being influenced by the Trump madness.

(July 22, 2018 at 1:52 pm)Brian37 Wrote: It took Trump's vile campaign tactics, prior to her death, for her to vote for Bernie. 

Well good on you, Brian. I assume she voted by mail at the end and that she entrusted you with the task of sending in her choices. Well done I say. By the way, I hear she is doing much better now; hopefully the two of you will be able to agree on a candidate for many election cycles still to come. Big Grin

(July 22, 2018 at 1:58 pm)Graufreud Wrote: I didn't create this thread because someone was rude to me.
I just don't understand why it's considered acceptable here to use vile language even if you strongly disagree with your opponents.

In general most people will get a fair shake here but there isn't a lot of cheek turning when one feels offended.  Personally I prefer not to have a serious discussion with people unable to disagree without being disagreeable.  But we all have triggers around certain subjects and Christian apologists are notoriously good at offending atheists.  I find there are many Christians that do not offend me and prefer to discuss religious matters with them.  I've washed my hands of the blighters around here who continuously grind away at us on their mission from God to convert us.  For them I have nothing, not even my annoyance.

I don't understand why so many theists think it's okay to be profoundly rude, so long as they don't use any 'bad words'.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The rude jokes thread Brick-top 34 31796 October 8, 2008 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet