Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 3:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Tower of Babel
RE: The Tower of Babel
(August 8, 2018 at 10:22 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(August 8, 2018 at 9:05 pm)Succubus Wrote: And with this Huggy, you have just told the whole world everything it needs to know about you.

As per usual, don't even try to refute the research, just engage in adhominem...

What are you guys afraid of?

I didn't write the paper dummy, it was written by two geologists, who detailed scientifically why they came to the conclusion they did. My point to Minimalist was that the Great Pyramid was far older than the other two, which would explain why they don't have the same properties. Whether it's older by 800,000 years or 10,000 the point stands.

(August 8, 2018 at 9:08 pm)Minimalist Wrote: All that means is that he's a cherry-picker.  Which we already knew.  I love it when xhristards decide which parts of their "inerrant" scripture are not inerrant!

Oh so now I'm cherry picking?

I'll wait for you to provide one scripture that states the earth is 6000 years old.

I won't hold my breath...

Please do.  It would be an improvement.

Why don't you take it up with Bishop Ussher?  He did the "math."
(August 8, 2018 at 10:42 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Why don't you take it up with Bishop Ussher?  He did the "math."

So instead of posting the scripture you deflect to some randoms guys interpretation...

I'm sure Bishop Ussher states plenty of things you dismiss as nonsense, but all of the sudden you point to him as the sole authority on scripture.

Now who's cherry picking?

Either post the scripture that states the earth is 6000 years old, or sit down...
Now your ignorance is showing. This "random guy"

Quote:was the Church of Ireland Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland between 1625 and 1656. He was a prolific scholar and church leader, who today is most famous for his identification of the genuine letters of the church father, Ignatius, and for his chronology that sought to establish the time and date of the creation as "the entrance of the night preceding the 23rd day of October... the year before Christ 4004"; that is, around 6 pm on 22 October 4004 bc according to the proleptic Julian calendar.

Basically the William Lane Craig of his day. That's not to defend his arguments, or to say he was right, but to throw him under the bus as "some random guy" is incredibly dishonest.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ussher
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 8, 2018 at 11:59 pm)Cyberman Wrote: Now your ignorance is showing. This "random guy"

Quote:was the Church of Ireland Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland between 1625 and 1656. He was a prolific scholar and church leader, who today is most famous for his identification of the genuine letters of the church father, Ignatius, and for his chronology that sought to establish the time and date of the creation as "the entrance of the night preceding the 23rd day of October... the year before Christ 4004"; that is, around 6 pm on 22 October 4004 bc according to the proleptic Julian calendar.

Basically the William Lane Craig of his day. That's not to defend his arguments, or to say he was right, but to throw him under the bus as "some random guy" is incredibly dishonest.

He is random.

The only authority I'll accept on whether the bible states the earth is 6000 years old... is the bible, I made that pretty clear.
(August 9, 2018 at 1:22 am)Huggy74 Wrote: He is random.

To you.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 9, 2018 at 1:22 am)Huggy74 Wrote:
(August 8, 2018 at 11:59 pm)Cyberman Wrote: Now your ignorance is showing. This "random guy"

He is random.

The only authority I'll accept on whether the bible states the earth is 6000 years old... is the bible, I made that pretty clear.

Ya..sure, what with magic book as told by you getting shit right all the damned time.   Rolleyes
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 9, 2018 at 1:22 am)Huggy74 Wrote:

He is random.

Huggy, do you take day's in the bible to mean literal days ?

In the bible we have Adam's age (when he dies), then a list of descendants from that point from a biblical perspective (taking a day as a thousand years) we can work out that that the earth is no more than around 12,000 years old.

If the word 'day' means an undefined amount of time, then why have them at all ?

It is true that there is no timespan given for the earth itself, some interpretations of genesis have the Lord almost stumbling across a watery planet and deciding to create, but that does not fit in with the stars and light being later created. Lets face it, to use the bible as any reliable textbook on how the earth came to be just is not compatible with any science we know.
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'
(August 9, 2018 at 3:56 am)possibletarian Wrote: Huggy, do you take day's in the bible to mean literal days ?

In the bible we have Adam's age (when he dies), then a list of descendants from that point from a biblical perspective (taking a day as a thousand years) we can work out that that the earth is no more than around 12,000 years old.

If the word 'day' means an undefined amount of time, then why have them at all ?

It is true that there is no timespan given for the earth itself, some interpretations of genesis have the Lord almost stumbling across a watery planet and deciding to create, but that does not fit in with the stars and light being later created.  Lets face it, to use the bible as any reliable textbook on how the earth came to be just is not compatible with any science we know.

Time is relative, if you lived on another planet you'd measure a day differently. Likewise God measures time differently than we do, and the bible is clear about this.
Quote:For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night. - Psalms 90:4
Quote:But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. - 2 Peter 3:8

Barring all that, the Bible starts with

Quote:In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. - Genesis 1:1

God created the universe and the Earth FULL-STOP!

It does not say how long it took to make the earth.

Also we don't know how much time has elapsed between the creation of the earth and the first day.
(August 8, 2018 at 10:51 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(August 8, 2018 at 10:42 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Why don't you take it up with Bishop Ussher?  He did the "math."

So instead of posting the scripture you deflect to some randoms guys interpretation...

I'm sure Bishop Ussher states plenty of things you dismiss as nonsense, but all of the sudden you point to him as the sole authority on scripture.

Now who's cherry picking?

Either post the scripture that states the earth is 6000 years old, or sit down...

A Random Guy?  Even by your standards that is incredibly stupid.  I suppose I should be used to that from you by now.  

These are your cohorts, fuckhead.  If you want to disassociate yourself from them go ahead.  They will then tell you that you are not a True Xhristard.
( P.S. Don't worry about them.  I think you are a True Xhristard!)

https://creation.com/6000-years

Quote:How does the Bible teach 6,000 years?

I regard all of you as assholes so it makes no difference to me!
(August 9, 2018 at 11:46 am)Huggy74 Wrote: Time is relative, if you lived on another planet you'd measure a day differently. Likewise God measures time differently than we do, and the bible is clear about this.
For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night. - Psalms 90:4
But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. - 2 Peter 3:8

You are making my point, not yours, if the term 'days' are meaningless, then why use them at all, and why all this nonsense...

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

Why the earth day when referring to a 'day' in all other parts of scripture, the theme ''and then there was evening, and there was morning'' meaning on earth for each stage of creation. Why not simply use something like ''and then after a time the lord choose to carry on with his creation''

Quote:Barring all that, the Bible starts with

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. - Genesis 1:1
God created the universe and the Earth FULL-STOP!

You mean your book of choice says it.. full stop, it simply does not agree with what we know.

Quote:It does not say how long it took to make the earth.

Quote:Also we don't know how much time has elapsed between the creation of the earth and the first day.

Actually it's pretty clear, you just don't want to admit how retarded it is to believe it, so you go to excruciating lengths to avoid the issue.
The only small crumb of comfort you can gain (from what the bible does not say) is that a planet of water may have existed for along time before god started what we know as the creation of light and life.

Science has made estimates of the age of the earth, for instance we know the sun was there before the earth (so the bible is completely wrong), but what we do know from the bible is the time frame for the first man (Adam) which simply does not agree with any respectable history of humanity.
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tower of Bible and creation of languages mcolafson 41 6407 September 22, 2016 at 9:33 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The tower of babel dyresand 20 4920 September 9, 2015 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  CHRISTIANS PLEASE EXPLAIN "tower of babel" truthBtold 40 10818 January 15, 2014 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  As a christian, how did you handle the problems with the Tower of Babel? Brakeman 51 18942 November 22, 2013 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Punished for Babel? Foxaèr 102 24369 July 19, 2013 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why did God divide the people of Babel? Greatest I am 50 8392 October 18, 2011 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger