Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CHRISTIANS PLEASE EXPLAIN "tower of babel"
CHRISTIANS PLEASE EXPLAIN "tower of babel"
Embarrassing tale of biblical nonsense is the construction of the Tower of Babel in (Genesis 11). Everyone on earth spoke the same language when the erection of the tower began. Because the people of earth had a great desire to catch a glimpse of God, they built this supposed tower intending to breach the sky. As God didn’t like the possibility of people spotting him, he confused their languages to prevent the architects from understanding one another. Unable to continue construction, everyone with different languages went separate ways. We know that many different languages existed centuries before the story’s setting around 2500-2000 BCE. Noah’s sons separated according to their own tongues in (Genesis 10). the notion that nineteenth century man had the architectural knowledge to build a tower even a mile high is ridiculous. To fathom that a group of ignorant ancient Hebrews could make an equivalent accomplishment is ludicrous. If god didn’t want the people to see him, he wouldn’t have provided the means for them to do so. God’s supposed fear of us actually reaching him in the sky. To suggest that an omniscient god would destroy a building because he felt he was in danger of humans catching a glimpse of him is stupid. once again going back to the ancient Hebrew belief that God eternally resided on top of a dome covering the earth. Since an omniscient deity would know that the people could not possibly reach him, he would not have stopped the tower’s construction for the specific reason provided by the Bible. The story cries of a myth..
And to further say that theres alot of problems of all the translations that are in the bible, and all the fights and wars because of misinterpretation in the bibles we should blame your god for confusing their language, thus different languages in the world.
RE: CHRISTIANS PLEASE EXPLAIN "tower of babel"
Getting quite bored of these now. What exactly are you trying to achieve with these threads?
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Some people just want to increase their thread count. Also the stated reason for the tower didn't have anything to do with Yahweh. It was merely to make a name for themselves, and to keep them from getting too spread apart in the world. They wanted it to reach the heavens, but it's unclear if they were trying to reach Yahweh, or if they just meant for it to be really tall. Like the kind of thing you could see from very far away, so you know where home is.

Yahweh destroyed the tower because he was afraid there was nothing they couldn't do if it was completed. In other words, they wouldn't need him anymore. That doesn't sound like the concern of an all powerful, loving parent that wants the best for his people. Of course most human parents want to see their kids become independent, and lead lives of their own.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(January 13, 2014 at 11:05 am)Jacob(smooth) Wrote: Getting quite bored of these now. What exactly are you trying to achieve with these threads?

if u dont like it, find a more godlike thread.. oh... i know u believe the bible is true.. what was i thinking.. amen and pass the buttermilk buscuits!!!

(January 13, 2014 at 11:15 am)Chad32 Wrote: Some people just want to increase their thread count. Also the stated reason for the tower didn't have anything to do with Yahweh. It was merely to make a name for themselves, and to keep them from getting too spread apart in the world. They wanted it to reach the heavens, but it's unclear if they were trying to reach Yahweh, or if they just meant for it to be really tall. Like the kind of thing you could see from very far away, so you know where home is.

Yahweh destroyed the tower because he was afraid there was nothing they couldn't do if it was completed. In other words, they wouldn't need him anymore. That doesn't sound like the concern of an all powerful, loving parent that wants the best for his people. Of course most human parents want to see their kids become independent, and lead lives of their own.

increasing thread count i dont think sooo. silly man,.. alot of threads keep dragging on and not sticking with the original topic.. zzzzzzz..

(January 13, 2014 at 11:15 am)Chad32 Wrote: Some people just want to increase their thread count. Also the stated reason for the tower didn't have anything to do with Yahweh. It was merely to make a name for themselves, and to keep them from getting too spread apart in the world. They wanted it to reach the heavens, but it's unclear if they were trying to reach Yahweh, or if they just meant for it to be really tall. Like the kind of thing you could see from very far away, so you know where home is.

Try again.. destroying the tower cause he was afraid there was nothing they couldn't do if it was completed is off the wall!!
(January 13, 2014 at 10:59 am)truthBtold Wrote: Embarrassing tale of biblical nonsense is the construction of the Tower of Babel in (Genesis 11). Everyone on earth spoke the same language when the erection of the tower began. Because the people of earth had a great desire to catch a glimpse of God, they built this supposed tower intending to breach the sky. As God didn’t like the possibility of people spotting him, he confused their languages to prevent the architects from understanding one another. Unable to continue construction, everyone with different languages went separate ways. We know that many different languages existed centuries before the story’s setting around 2500-2000 BCE. Noah’s sons separated according to their own tongues in (Genesis 10). the notion that nineteenth century man had the architectural knowledge to build a tower even a mile high is ridiculous. To fathom that a group of ignorant ancient Hebrews could make an equivalent accomplishment is ludicrous. If god didn’t want the people to see him, he wouldn’t have provided the means for them to do so. God’s supposed fear of us actually reaching him in the sky. To suggest that an omniscient god would destroy a building because he felt he was in danger of humans catching a glimpse of him is stupid. once again going back to the ancient Hebrew belief that God eternally resided on top of a dome covering the earth. Since an omniscient deity would know that the people could not possibly reach him, he would not have stopped the tower’s construction for the specific reason provided by the Bible. The story cries of a myth..
And to further say that theres alot of problems of all the translations that are in the bible, and all the fights and wars because of misinterpretation in the bibles we should blame your god for confusing their language, thus different languages in the world.

Maybe (just a suggestion to help you avoid any future embarassment) you should start with the verse in question rather than the straw man arguement that Atheist typically use to make the arguement you just made.

In the account in Genesis the purpose was not to see God but to make a name for themselves among men. They were looking to unify themselves with this project.

4 And they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.”

as such God did not confuse their language because they would breach the walls of heaven as most of you imply.

God confused their language because for man to be unified at that time in our history/development would set us on a course that was no consistant with His plan of salvation.
“Indeed the people are one and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they propose to do will be withheld from them. 7 Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.” 8 So the Lord scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they ceased building the city.

Notice the bold part. Also notice God did not say He confused their language to keep them from breaching the gates of Heaven, but rather allow man the power to choose his own destiny at that point in our development.
Come now. Someone who asks so many questions should be willing to answer a few. I repeat, What exactly are you trying to achieve with these threads?

Oh and thanks for reassuring me that illiterate bellends exist on both extremes of the Dawkins scale Wink.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
(January 13, 2014 at 12:19 pm)Drich Wrote:
(January 13, 2014 at 10:59 am)truthBtold Wrote: Embarrassing tale of biblical nonsense is the construction of the Tower of Babel in (Genesis 11). Everyone on earth spoke the same language when the erection of the tower began. Because the people of earth had a great desire to catch a glimpse of God, they built this supposed tower intending to breach the sky. As God didn’t like the possibility of people spotting him, he confused their languages to prevent the architects from understanding one another. Unable to continue construction, everyone with different languages went separate ways. We know that many different languages existed centuries before the story’s setting around 2500-2000 BCE. Noah’s sons separated according to their own tongues in (Genesis 10). the notion that nineteenth century man had the architectural knowledge to build a tower even a mile high is ridiculous. To fathom that a group of ignorant ancient Hebrews could make an equivalent accomplishment is ludicrous. If god didn’t want the people to see him, he wouldn’t have provided the means for them to do so. God’s supposed fear of us actually reaching him in the sky. To suggest that an omniscient god would destroy a building because he felt he was in danger of humans catching a glimpse of him is stupid. once again going back to the ancient Hebrew belief that God eternally resided on top of a dome covering the earth. Since an omniscient deity would know that the people could not possibly reach him, he would not have stopped the tower’s construction for the specific reason provided by the Bible. The story cries of a myth..

Maybe (just a suggestion to help you avoid any future embarassment) you should start with the verse in question rather than the straw man arguement that Atheist typically use to make the arguement you just made.

In the account in Genesis the purpose was not to see God but to make a name for themselves among men. They were looking to unify themselves with this project.

4 And they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top is in the heavens; let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.”

as such God did not confuse their language because they would breach the walls of heaven as most of you imply.

God confused their language because for man to be unified at that time in our history/development would set us on a course that was no consistant with His plan of salvation.
“Indeed the people are one and they all have one language, and this is what they begin to do; now nothing that they propose to do will be withheld from them. 7 Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.” 8 So the Lord scattered them abroad from there over the face of all the earth, and they ceased building the city.

Notice the bold part. Also notice God did not say He confused their language to keep them from breaching the gates of Heaven, but rather allow man the power to choose his own destiny at that point in our development.

once again...trying too hard to give an answer because u failed to read/study ur own bible.. primative men thought the earth was a flat disk with a dome over it,, and thinking that if they can get over the top of the dome they would be in heaven.. NEXT!!
I could easily explain the story to someone sincere. What I cannot explain is your ignorance.
(January 13, 2014 at 2:18 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: I could easily explain the story to someone sincere. What I cannot explain is your ignorance.
u mean someone thats willing to believe on false,,,, i mean faith!
(January 13, 2014 at 11:15 am)truthBtold Wrote: Try again.. destroying the tower cause he was afraid there was nothing they couldn't do if it was completed is off the wall!!

But that's what he actually says. He told the others, which I assume are angels, that very thing.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear God, please soften their hearts... zwanzig 12 975 August 6, 2023 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Please help prayer to get maaried soon for my mom heath.! meboxem166 21 2683 April 1, 2023 at 5:52 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The Tower of Babel Rhondazvous 536 68343 March 30, 2020 at 3:37 am
Last Post: Dundee
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7593 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  God is completely inadequate to explain anything whatsoever Whateverist 20 2892 March 14, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Tower of Bible and creation of languages mcolafson 41 6024 September 22, 2016 at 9:33 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, how would you explain these Christian testimonies? miguel54 44 9328 August 28, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 30534 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christians: Please Explain Aractus 43 9686 December 10, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Photo Christian Memes/Pics Because Reasons -- Please add your favorites stop_pushing_me 29 13685 September 23, 2015 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter