Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 11:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did God divide the people of Babel?

I know that most here do not believe this myth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ldI2FJQ_oE

There are usually some moral reason given for God acting against mankind.

I cannot dither out any good moral reason for Babel.

Can you?

Regards
DL
RE: Why did God divide the people of Babel?
'I know that most here do not believe this MYTH.'

Answered your own question.

'There are usually some moral reason given for God acting against mankind.'

Morals for genocide. Great morals those christians.

I'll stick with my treat others how you expect to be treated.
There is none. It's retrofitting, because the authors were too stupid to work out how different languages developed.
He didn't /end
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
It's called etiology, Greatest, and it has to do with the idea that people will make up stories to explain the world around them. Religion is full of such nonsense. So someone wondered why people spoke different languages and made up a story explaining it.

Then other morons came along and wrote it into their fucking bible!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiology#Mythology

Quote:An etiological myth, or origin myth, is a myth intended to explain the origins of cult practices, natural phenomena, proper names and the like. For example, the name Delphi and its associated deity, Apollon Delphinios, are explained in the Homeric Hymn which tells of how Apollo carried Cretans over the sea in the shape of a dolphin (delphis) to make them his priests.

A better example would be the supposed tale of Sodom and Gomorrah. The ANE is covered with destroyed ancient towns ( it is a highly active seismic zone ) and someone invented a story about two such ruins and claimed that 'god' got pissed at them and wiped them out.

Again, now we have morons out there looking for evidence that it happened!
That puts babble where, about the Congo?
Trying to update my sig ...
Another point about the Babel effect:

If the god of israel did indeed change all the languages at the exact same time in the exact same place then there shouldn't be words missing out of a race's language. For instance there are many things/concepts that native americans, asians, native australians, etc, etc, do not have words for that the English and French and others do. This would not be the case. If god changed your language without changing your free will and the way your entire mind worked - every language would have still had words for all things considered ... and they do not.

I asked my father to explain this phenomenon once and of course, being a devout fundamentalist, he could not.

I believe his answer was: "I don't pretend to know the master plan of the one almighty god."

**rolling eyes just remembering that conversation**
[Image: Evolution.png]

That story shows that if god is real, he's a total fucking dumbass. A smart god would've watched and laughed, since all they were doing was for naught.

Remember also that the same kind of people who wrote the bible were the same that allegedly built the tower of babel. The kind of people who knew nothing at all about the laws of physics, or that there was nothing really up there but the vacuum of space. Why people put any stock in anything the bible has to say is completely beyond me.

Funny how god acted to prevent the tower of babel reaching to heaven yet did nothing when Humanity launched manned craft into spaceThinking
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
impossibly tall tower bad.

spaceship, whatevs.

uhnga.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The People of Light vs The People of Darkness Leonardo17 2 549 October 27, 2023 at 7:55 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did God play peek-a-boo? LinuxGal 36 3132 March 16, 2023 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 12973 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 18574 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  The Tower of Babel Rhondazvous 536 70862 March 30, 2020 at 3:37 am
Last Post: Dundee
  Video #2 Why bad things happen to Good people. Drich 13 1656 January 6, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 5801 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8462 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 9047 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Why, God? Why?! LadyForCamus 233 29765 June 5, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Angrboda