Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 9:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
RE: Peterson's 12 Rules For Life, have you heard of this?
Nah, he's spoken on the subject, directly.  When asked, he responds with "it depends on what you mean by believe, and god, and existence, and truth".  He has idiosyncratic definitions for each item..and it's from those same definitions that his more absurd comments, such as "this atheist so and so is a christian" derive.

He even has his own pet definition of what a christian is - and so long as you aren't out raping and pillaging, that earns you the moniker, in his spider brain, lol. Because..follow me down the rabbit hole...that means that you're acting out™ a christian worldview....somehow.

The guys a full on loon who's found a way to monetize incels, racists, and desperate christians......which, if you think about it, is probably a severely overlapping set of demographics. He casts a wide net while fishing, though..which is why I don't find it particularly surprising to see other people up to their gills in his bullshit.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 28, 2018 at 9:11 am)Shell B Wrote: I mean, if you've never heard anyone say that white people should pay reparations or behave a certain way to make up for slavery, I'm surprised. It may be the minority saying it, but it's not like it's something the alt right made up to make themselves feel threatened. They might be flipping the fuck out about it, but they didn't originate the idea. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the far left that came up with the idea.
A small minority that the Alt right have conflated to absurd levels

(August 28, 2018 at 9:43 am)bennyboy Wrote:
(August 28, 2018 at 8:18 am)Tizheruk Wrote: Never said i wasn't . But interestingly the same people (the Alt right) will be the first to claim all the positive stuff white people did .

Hmmmm.  White people want to view white people in a positive light.

Sounds pretty insidious.  Thank God black people, gay people, or women don't do that.
Nice not getting it Benny .The same people who want to collectively use their race to take credit for things but in the same breathe will deny the negative collectively. And the minorities you mention want to be painted in positive light for very different reason then Alt Right morons.
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

"We need to stop talking about these people™ and these issues™ like this, and address the inequality in our society..because it's leading to dis-enfrachisement, discrimination, mass incarceration..and death."

-It hurts my fee-fees when you talk like that you hypocrites!

I keep trying to figure out when and how the master race went so soft, personally.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 28, 2018 at 11:02 am)robvalue Wrote: I think he is actually a Christian, according to what he writes in this book. He could be lying of course, and he can still categorise himself how he wishes.

I find it weird that he thinks Jesus would be impressed with dishonestly inserting preaching as some sort of subliminal message in an unrelated book. I suspect he's a sociopath from his writing style, again unless it's an act.

He's talked about that, and he goes straight to the terminology "Logos."  He even talks about the spirit of Christ, but he defines spirit as a "pattern of being," i.e. it could include memes, and so on.

It seems to me that he's most likely an agnostic deist, rather than as a doctrinal Christian.

(August 28, 2018 at 9:47 am)Khemikal Wrote: I'm sure some nitwit said it, and I'm equally certain that this was fed through the rightwing bullhorn as if anyone was actually trying to -do- it.  Gotta keep shoveling coal into the engine or you can't blow the whistle.  Wink

(August 28, 2018 at 9:11 am)Shell B Wrote: I mean, if you've never heard anyone say that white people should pay reparations or behave a certain way to make up for slavery, I'm surprised. It may be the minority saying it, but it's not like it's something the alt right made up to make themselves feel threatened. They might be flipping the fuck out about it, but they didn't originate the idea. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the far left that came up with the idea.

That particular fear goes -aaaaaaaaallllll- the way back to the civil war, lol.  Strangely, no one ever got their 40 acres or their mule.  Just like free speech wasn't murdered, our way of life is still intact, our civilization is not a crumbling heap of ethnic ruin, and the white race hasn't been discriminated against, stigmatized or genocided.

We did, though, get the now normalized alt right..and Scrotus.  I think it's more than a little bit ironic that the established left is losing their shit, now...when anyone could have seen this coming as far back as the 90's.

Reparations is actually a pretty long and well-adopted idea. It's not really just some corner of the Internet thing or something some nitwit said that the alt right picked up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reparations_for_slavery
(August 28, 2018 at 11:41 am)Tizheruk Wrote:
(August 28, 2018 at 9:43 am)bennyboy Wrote: Hmmmm.  White people want to view white people in a positive light.

Sounds pretty insidious.  Thank God black people, gay people, or women don't do that.
Nice not getting it Benny .The same people who want to collectively use their race to take credit for things but in the same breathe will deny the negative collectively. And the minorities you mention want to be painted in positive light for very different reason then Alt Right morons.
well, you have a good point there. I think you are probably completely right about the cherry-picking of demographic identity. I'd say both the far-left and the far-right do this a lot-- in fact, I'd almost define "farness" as the degree to which one selectively biases the framing of things in favor of one ideology and in opposition to another. The difference, in my view, is that the far-left are mainly annoying to those they disagree with, and the far-right are prone to real grievous violence. So I do in fact accept that there's a meaningful symmetry there that matters.

I'd say also, though, that I see it as a political ring, rather than a political axis. I don't think there's much difference between say Stalinist Russia and Nazi Germany, in terms of liberty and quality of life. At the extremes, there is so little tolerance for opposing views that the concept of liberty is abandoned, and at the most extreme, it's "Believe or die," for example as it currently is in N. Korea.
(August 28, 2018 at 7:35 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(August 28, 2018 at 9:47 am)Khemikal Wrote: I'm sure some nitwit said it, and I'm equally certain that this was fed through the rightwing bullhorn as if anyone was actually trying to -do- it.  Gotta keep shoveling coal into the engine or you can't blow the whistle.  Wink

That particular fear goes -aaaaaaaaallllll- the way back to the civil war, lol.  Strangely, no one ever got their 40 acres or their mule.  Just like free speech wasn't murdered, our way of life is still intact, our civilization is not a crumbling heap of ethnic ruin, and the white race hasn't been discriminated against, stigmatized or genocided.

We did, though, get the now normalized alt right..and Scrotus.  I think it's more than a little bit ironic that the established left is losing their shit, now...when anyone could have seen this coming as far back as the 90's.

Reparations is actually a pretty long and well-adopted idea. It's not really just some corner of the Internet thing or something some nitwit said that the alt right picked up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reparations_for_slavery
Not as much as commonly asserted
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(August 28, 2018 at 7:35 pm)Shell B Wrote:

You read the wiki you linked, I take it?  One unsuccessful bill in centuries.  One.  Did it involve taking money from the white mans pocket and putting it into the black mans pocket?  In a word, no. That we have to dig deep to find something even remotely salient should be telling, but it isn't..at least not to the alt right or those ailing from white anxiety. I find myself wondering what dystopian alternate reality they wake up in every day.

(August 28, 2018 at 7:33 pm)bennyboy Wrote: It seems to me that he's most likely an agnostic deist, rather than as a doctrinal Christian.

He's an atheist. He doesn't believe in gods, he believes that what gods represent is truer than true, realer than real..for Peterson Values™ of the terms "truth" and "real".
(August 28, 2018 at 7:43 pm)bennyboy Wrote: I'd say also, though, that I see it as a political ring, rather than a political axis. I don't think there's much difference between say Stalinist Russia and Nazi Germany, in terms of liberty and quality of life. At the extremes, there is so little tolerance for opposing views that the concept of liberty is abandoned, and at the most extreme, it's "Believe or die," for example as it currently is in N. Korea.

Ah, so you believe in Horseshoe theory as well. I can certainly see two sides of the political debate being, underneath it all, disturbingly similar.

That said, your assumption that the axis metaphor doesn't hold up, I just don't see. At least, if you're not limiting yourself to a single axis.

[Image: uk2017]

I think this does a fairly decent job of demonstrating how two sides of a debate can end up being pretty similar.

And here's where I sit, for the record:
[Image: chart?ec=-7.75&soc=-5.74]

And I predict that if Jordan Peterson took this one, he'd probably end up in the top right (authoritarian right) quadrant. To be fair, so would all the major primary candidates of 2016 (except for Bernie Sanders):

[Image: usprimaries2016.png]

Hell, all the countries in the EU are in that quadrant:
[Image: eu2012.png]

Also, on the Jordan Peterson's religious beliefs question, The National Post asked him that question earlier this year and got an answer:

Q: Are you a Christian? Do you believe in God?
A: I think the proper response to that is No, but I’m afraid He might exist.

Sounds like a Belief in Belief more than anything else.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I totally reject the  horseshoe theory 

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 19145 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Peterson vs. Harris #3-- Dublin bennyboy 0 345 September 26, 2018 at 8:34 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Jordan Peterson vs. Sam Harris in Vancouver bennyboy 7 730 September 6, 2018 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 15574 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4151 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What are the rules of the game? naimless 11 1722 March 17, 2013 at 4:10 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Moral rules vs moral sense Whateverist 19 9656 June 14, 2012 at 4:31 am
Last Post: genkaus