Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 5:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Please convince me gender is binary
RE: Please convince me gender is binary
(February 6, 2019 at 8:10 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: We're the stressor.  Though, this theory of stress turning a trans person into a child molesting bathroom rage monster might need some work.

I didn't say any of that now, did I?  I was talking about the intrinsic instability of a person facing an identity crisis.  But it's interesting that when I asked how you felt about a 300 lb, scary looking trans woman going into the bathroom with your daughter, you assumed I was talking about sexual molestation.
I'll just mention self awareness again, I guess? You're either stringing together random unrelated comments with individual dodginess...or you do think that they have some relationship to each other, and are instructive, in which case they represent a complex knot of unconfronted dodginess.

I've been there, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that you (and many other people) find themselves there now. Maybe not about this particular issue...but the phenomena isn't limited to any particular issue.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 5, 2019 at 11:51 am)tackattack Wrote:
(February 4, 2019 at 7:19 pm)Jehanne Wrote: It's a nonissue; when I am in a skirt, I use a single woman's restroom; other times I use the men's group or single, although, I do not pee standing up, unless I am in a hurry.

I don't sit down in a male urinal unless there is no other opportunity, that's disgusting Eeeew. Peeing in a urinal, in a dress, does raise eyebrows (It did when I did it), but I'm just in there to pee and wash my hands (which takes all of 3 minutes) and frankly there not enough time to care about looky-loos, IMO.

I never pee in a skirt while standing up, although, women did just that for centuries on end.
Right in the damned hallway, too.  No such thing as a bathroom. The explicitly sexualized separation of our biological necessities is a recent trend. These are the norms we're defending with bathroom purity laws, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 6, 2019 at 9:52 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: I'll just mention self awareness again, I guess?  You're either stringing together random unrelated comments with individual dodginess...or you do think that they have some relationship to each other, and are instructive, in which case they represent a complex knot of unconfronted dodginess.

I've been there, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that you (and many other people) find themselves there now.  Maybe not about this particular issue...but the phenomena isn't limited to any particular issue.

I'm not pulling punches.  I think that gender dysphoria is related to anxiety, rage, depression, and a general psychological ill-being.  When you see a man in a dress, he may not be experiencing gender dysphoria, but you know that he's outside the normal psychological range in at least one area.  You could say the same thing with ANY display of atypical behaviors-- clenched fists, talking to oneself, or so on.  Maybe someone clenches his fists all the time and is a lovely human being in all other regards.

There are two reasons why people get that "creepy" feeling about people who behave outside the ordinary:
(1)  It's just superstitious nonsense, and they have to get over it.
(2)  The sense of creepiness is sometimes an indicator of danger, and the cost of ignoring it is potentially very high, evolutionarily speaking.

I'd say, on the whole, that the transition from first realization of dysphoria to its resolution by self-assignment of a new identity (with or without physical modifications) must be a very traumatic, and any expression of that trauma in facial expression is likely to make people uneasy.
I don't think that you're pulling punches with your misapprehensions on the dangers of trans people or being trans..I'm certain that you're pulling punches on yourself.

If you were as critical of your own comments as you are with the very notion of being transgender, I think you might find yourself reaching an entirely different conclusion about transgender people and the nature of the relationship between normative constructs and psychological distress.
(February 6, 2019 at 2:56 am)bennyboy Wrote:

No, for about 3 months straight (no pun intended) I pretty much only wore hammer pants or a tiered patchwork skirt and sandals with socks. I also had long hair and painted my fingernails when I wasn't biting them off.

(February 6, 2019 at 11:10 am)bennyboy Wrote:

I think this is where I'm seeing a problem with your reasoning. I didn't wear a dress, or stop wearing a dress, based on my gender identity at all. I simply thought it would be utilitarian and a fun experiment and socially express my individualism and attention seeking aims. I stopped because of Bermuda shorts and then cargo pants/shorts became more utilitarian. I didn't see myself identified by what clothes I wore or even hold any importance on clothes outside of their weather value. I knew what a man was to me and I had a peepee, and I conformed to both of those.

You have gender expression, gender identity, and gonadal gender. Clothing only plays a part possibly in expression. You can't tell by what someone is wearing whether their gonadaly or internally gendered as; you can only make suppositions based on your definitions of "what is a man/woman" what they're expressing to you. You observe, voice, behavior, mannerisms, body structure, peer interactions, attire, etc. and form a supposition on what the object you're observing is presenting as their gender. The problem is that you're still making automatic instinctual observations of what someone's gender "is" to you, and ignoring that the name tag attached to the person says steve. I believe the counterargument surfacing is that you should see that person as an individual and as steve, and not give 2 shits about their expression, identity or gonads.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(February 6, 2019 at 11:10 am)bennyboy Wrote:
(February 6, 2019 at 9:52 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: I'll just mention self awareness again, I guess?  You're either stringing together random unrelated comments with individual dodginess...or you do think that they have some relationship to each other, and are instructive, in which case they represent a complex knot of unconfronted dodginess.

I've been there, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that you (and many other people) find themselves there now.  Maybe not about this particular issue...but the phenomena isn't limited to any particular issue.

I'm not pulling punches.  I think that gender dysphoria is related to anxiety, rage, depression, and a general psychological ill-being.  When you see a man in a dress, he may not be experiencing gender dysphoria, but you know that he's outside the normal psychological range in at least one area.  You could say the same thing with ANY display of atypical behaviors-- clenched fists, talking to oneself, or so on.  Maybe someone clenches his fists all the time and is a lovely human being in all other regards.

There are two reasons why people get that "creepy" feeling about people who behave outside the ordinary:
(1)  It's just superstitious nonsense, and they have to get over it.
(2)  The sense of creepiness is sometimes an indicator of danger, and the cost of ignoring it is potentially very high, evolutionarily speaking.

I'd say, on the whole, that the transition from first realization of dysphoria to its resolution by self-assignment of a new identity (with or without physical modifications) must be a very traumatic, and any expression of that trauma in facial expression is likely to make people uneasy.

I have never been happier and more at peace than I am now.
(February 6, 2019 at 12:45 pm)tackattack Wrote:
(February 6, 2019 at 2:56 am)bennyboy Wrote:

No, for about 3 months straight (no pun intended) I pretty much only wore hammer pants 

.....was it hammer time?
(February 6, 2019 at 11:23 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: I don't think that you're pulling punches with your misapprehensions on the dangers of trans people or being trans..I'm certain that you're pulling punches on yourself.

If you were as critical of your own comments as you are with the very notion of being transgender, I think you might find yourself reaching an entirely different conclusion about transgender people and the nature of the relationship between normative constructs and psychological distress.

"Normative constructs."

The fact is, that most people are normal, and some people aren't.  There's no construct involved.

Most people are clearly identifiable as male or female-- both by the sex or by their "gender."  They are, in fact, the norm, and they cover 99% of the population.  If you include sexual preference, then male or female heterosexuals still fill up over 90% of the spectrum.  Look at the Bell curve, and there they all are, going about their breeding lives.

As a social species, we are uncomfortable when we are abnormal in some way, and not only by gender.  We don't like to be at the tail ends of the Bell curve, where things get lonely and cold.  People who are very tall or short, fat or thin, who do not interact with others socially well, and so on-- these people are all outside the norm, and all feel very uncomfortable.

None of this is a construct-- it's intrinsic to the nature of our species.  What IS a construct is value judgments.  You'll note that at no point in any of this have I said that it is bad to be trans or anything else.  I've never said we should enforce that feeling of isolation by rejecting people's humanity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Non-binary Foxaèr 129 7816 July 1, 2021 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Raising Gender Normative Children Acrobat 8 752 February 15, 2019 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Transgender kids’ brains resemble their gender identity, not their biological sex Foxaèr 19 3438 May 23, 2018 at 10:06 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Special Report on Sexuality and Gender by New Atlantis Neo-Scholastic 51 13830 October 18, 2016 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Gender Identity Disorder? I don't think so! :D Violet 25 13637 August 27, 2012 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Evolution Theory - please show the proofs NoGodaloud ? 161 56881 September 14, 2010 at 11:31 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb