Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 3:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is eating hunted meat ethical?
RE: Is eating hunted meat ethical?
(November 25, 2019 at 12:06 am)Tom Fearnley Wrote: I'm in the uk living on benefits (welfare) and the cost of food is very high.

Then you should totally understand my point.
Yes point understood.

Mmmmm lamb and burgers and chips. Triple cooked duck fat. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~D:

No, no, no, no: Just a premium burger. Five Guys.

So what? I did my time as a vegan I deserve a treat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7myx3KTwY6U
(November 24, 2019 at 11:30 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Plants do exhibit behaviors, they communicate, they plan, they gamble their lives and prey on each other, they even scream in what we would call fear and pain..if we were the ones doing it.  Still, the behaviors of animals like us are more forceful in their effect on us as we witness them.  

Chances are a tomato doesn't feel what you feel..but then again, neither do cattle.

I doubt that it would make anyone put down a baked potato, but plant behavior is pretty cool.  You should check it out just for shits and giggles when you're bored.

So, a reason to become vegan would not be the love of animals, but the hatred of plants.  'Take THAT broccoli!  Not so bloody smug in the steamer now, are you?  Mwa ha ha!' 

Cool.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(November 24, 2019 at 10:12 pm)Tom Fearnley Wrote: Nope: https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used...-go-vegan/

You cite PETA? Really? The single largest origin of pointless animal euthanasia? Really?

PETA rescue centres are mere death camps for animals.

If your objective is to be ethical, protest PETA. They are instant death for animals. On purpose.
(November 25, 2019 at 7:12 am)Abaddon_ire Wrote:
(November 24, 2019 at 10:12 pm)Tom Fearnley Wrote: Nope: https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used...-go-vegan/

You cite PETA? Really? The single largest origin of pointless animal euthanasia? Really?

PETA rescue centres are mere death camps for animals.

If your objective is to be ethical, protest PETA. They are instant death for animals. On purpose.

Yeah, they could definitely do with a better name.  Not much 'ethical' about their behaviour or tactics.  Years gone, some friends of ours were in their front garden, having a game of fetch with their springer spaniel.  A PETA type was walking by and began shouting at them about animal slavery, animal torture, and on and on.

For the record, if Benny's life was 'slavery', sign me up.

Boru
(November 24, 2019 at 9:22 pm)Tom Fearnley Wrote: It's all about survival of the fittest, might makes right, let the poor die out if they can't survive on their own etc etc. It was what Hitler believed in. Why does survival of the fittest have to apply to human morality? We're better than that surely? Most of us have an inbuilt sense of morality I thought.

I don't eat meat for the same reason I donate money to Save The Children: I want to help starving people. People who will likely never help me back.
I suggest you Wiki "Social Darwinism". It's NOT Darwinism. If you do so you'll look less of a twat next time.
Yeah, I think maybe that 'look less of a twat' ship has sailed.

Boru
(November 25, 2019 at 12:06 am)Tom Fearnley Wrote: I'm in the uk living on benefits (welfare) and the cost of food is very high.

Then you're hanging out in the wrong places.

[Image: 24df70d3cce3b29c5b68efa76de670c6.png]
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(November 25, 2019 at 8:05 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(November 24, 2019 at 9:22 pm)Tom Fearnley Wrote: It's all about survival of the fittest, might makes right, let the poor die out if they can't survive on their own etc etc. It was what Hitler believed in. Why does survival of the fittest have to apply to human morality? We're better than that surely? Most of us have an inbuilt sense of morality I thought.

I don't eat meat for the same reason I donate money to Save The Children: I want to help starving people. People who will likely never help me back.
I suggest you Wiki "Social Darwinism". It's NOT Darwinism. If you do so you'll look less of a twat next time.

I would argue that you not just telling me and proving you understand what it means yourself makes you at least as much of a twat. We're in the same boat to use another sailing metaphor.

Oh and I enjoyed my Five Guys Wink
(November 23, 2019 at 6:11 pm)Tom Fearnley Wrote: I'm trying to be a vegan as I think it's ethical. However animals in the wild, like Richard Dawkins says, suffer horrible deaths whilst in the wild. Hunting them and shooting them killing them quickly then consuming their meat is still therefore ethical maybe? The animal will feel less pain in its lifetime if shot to death than if it died naturally in the wild.

Correct?

I'm not reading 15 pages of this, but I think vegan ethics extend beyond how animals feel.

By purchasing and consuming meat, we are perpetuating the whole system. Our meat consumption is a huge and well-documented culprit of climate change. If you eat vegan, vegetarian, or even less meat overall, you're doing something ethical in reducing your carbon footprint. If that's a main concern for someone, then actually eating only hunted meat is the most ethical way you could do it, since it's the farming methods that contribute to climate change, which hurt all of us.

If your concern is animal welfare, then yeah, I would say it would be most logically consistent to forgo animal products completely, hunted or not. We live in 2019, with advanced technology and a long, long list of non-meat alternatives. The amount of vegetarian and vegan restaurants is at an all-time high. We can live a happy and healthy lifestyle without eating any animal products. But what happens to an animal outside any direct or indirect interaction I have with it is of no consequence. All that matters is your choice and your action.

I'm vegetarian, and I'll be vegan eventually but I'm in no hurry.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Picking your nose and eating it yes/no Duty 7 495 March 5, 2022 at 8:08 am
Last Post: Duty
  Vegans & meat grown in a lab Rahn127 51 3184 November 7, 2018 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Dr H