Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 4, 2024, 12:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kobe Bryant dead from Helicopter crash
RE: Kobe Bryant dead from Helicopter crash
Just a quick question/observation here. Imagine you're white, living your life completely uncaring of race. You're not racist in any sense of the word. You support a future that includes, not reparations, but a restructuring of many things to correct the economic and educational disadvantages caused by past laws. Imagine someone treats you like you personally fucked over their whole family every time you speak to them. Do you think it's fair to feel racially profiled at the very least? Maybe it's not fair to make assumptions based on people's race, no matter what their race is.
(February 9, 2020 at 12:46 am)Shell B Wrote: Just a quick question/observation here. Imagine you're white, living your life completely uncaring of race. You're not racist in any sense of the word. You support a future that includes, not reparations, but a restructuring of many things to correct the economic and educational disadvantages caused by past laws. Imagine someone treats you like you personally fucked over their whole family every time you speak to them. Do you think it's fair to feel racially profiled at the very least? Maybe it's not fair to make assumptions based on people's race, no matter what their race is.

Well, I am white, and I do say so. But that's not really the point. It's more incidental than anything. I mean, any of you, regardless of race, lol, can just look up Kobe's quote where he admitted that he understood that the interaction was not consensual on the girl's part. Meaning, in short, it wasn't consensual. All parties have to consent when it comes to sex. End of story. That's just sort of how that whole thing works, believe it or not. You being a victim of sexual assault in the past, if I'm not mistaken, I figured you'd be on the other side of this here, if there are even sides. This has nothing to do with me being white, or you being Puerto Rican, or someone else being a Danish transgender power lifter who collects stamps and really enjoys the band System of a Down.

So, while it's cute to just call me an entitled white asshole and not actually respond to any of my points with logical, well-thought out ideas, it doesn't actually lead to any sort of interesting or meaningful discussion. In fact, it totally leaves me to believe that the poster who put that image up (also, how are you seeing the pic and I'm not?) simply wanted to play the race card to shut me up. Trying to silence someone by saying "you're white and privileged so your opinion doesn't count" is just silly and a bit bully-ish. Granted, let me stop anyone before they try it, I'm not claiming to be a victim here, because I know everyone in the race to be woke loves to use that line any time a straight white male points out that someone else isn't fighting fair. It usually sounds like something like, "Oh, look at the poor white guy crying for being bullied! Boohoo!" No. I'm just pointing out that it's silly to play the race card and then no actually care enough to make  valid points about the topic at that hand.

It's akin to saying, you're white so your opinion doesn't count. Well, sorry to break it to ya: that's racist.

So, all of that being said... No, I cannot imagine, and never will be able to imagine, what it's like to be black in America. 90% of my friends are black. Three of my cousins are black. And I've dated more black girls than I can count on both hands. I've heard plenty of terrible stories. Horror stories. But I think it's simply so foreign to me that my brain cannot imagine what it would be like to be treated that way. At the end of the day, I simply do not wake up in the morning and think about the color of my skin. And I admit, I'm privileged enough that I don't have to think about the color of my skin. That's not a luxury that lots of people of color get. But you know what? That's not really my problem. It must suck, seriously. My sympathy is with anyone who has to deal with that shit. It must be terrible, and certainly wouldn't help your self-esteem... constantly being told you're less than  because you're not white, in so many words. Yeah, that's shitty.

But shell b, just relax there hun. I'm from the hood. I grew up blocks away from East Cleveland. The nickname for that neighborhood was Baghdad. I know black people far more than you ever have or will. And don't get me wrong, the ghetto doesn't encapsulate what being black is, but I very much grew up around and surrounded by African-American culture. So your little self-righteous crusade for the black folks comes off as a little cringey.

I don't pretend to know what it's like to be black in America, and I never will. But I do get black culture in that I grew up in it. And I'd sort of happy for that because growing up in a neighborhood like that allowed me to meet people from all different races and walks of life at a very young age. I tried lots of different types of foods growing up, heard different languages being spoken around me. Very interesting stuff. My childhood was actually pretty eventful in a lot of ways.

So yeah, the suburban white girl trying to tell me about "imagine what it's like to be black" is a little funny, to say the least.

But that's not really the issue at hand here. You can look up Kobe's words for yourself... Here ya' go:

https://www.duckduckGo.com

Search for yourself.

And look, I get it.

"The poor little white man is so blinded by his privilege that he doesn't see the point"

No, I get it. And I'm simply telling you that in this case, that's not what we're talking about. What we're talking about is a man who had a sexual encounter with a woman who did not consent to sex. Very easy. Very simple. And listen, if it all was a set up, and Kobe truly was just a victim of some scheme by some psycho bitch who wanted a quick dollar and her little fifteen minutes of fame, then that is horrible. That's fucking terrifying. But given Bryant's own words, I simply do not think that's the case here.

My main point however, was that I'm not demonizing Bryant, and I hope you guys get that. Once again, a man is more than just a terrible mistake he made, or a terrible choice he made, once upon a time.

I simply think that the sexual assault thing was a part of his history, and I'm confused by the backlash people are getting for bringing it up.

I mean for christs fucking sake he admitted to having a non-consensual sexual encounter with a woman... holy fuck people come on.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
(February 5, 2020 at 6:33 pm)Huggy Bear Wrote: After he made that statement he signed a contract worth $136 million, I guarantee that apology was a requirement of that contract.

Probably. Though I also assumed that Bryant later discovering that his accuser was taking anti-psychotic medication used to treat schizophrenia at the time in question may have played a role in compelling him to say that he could understand how she felt she had been assaulted. Compulsive behavior, disorientation, hallucinations and delusions are common to the disorder. Her perception of the events that transpired could have changed at some point.

In his "confession" he still maintained that believed that the encounter was consensual.
(February 9, 2020 at 1:22 am)Athene Wrote:
(February 5, 2020 at 6:33 pm)Huggy Bear Wrote: After he made that statement he signed a contract worth $136 million, I guarantee that apology was a requirement of that contract.

Probably. Though I also assumed that Bryant later discovering that his accuser was taking anti-psychotic medication used to treat schizophrenia at the time in question may have played a role in compelling him to say that he could understand how she felt she had been assaulted. Compulsive behavior, disorientation, hallucinations and delusions are common to the disorder. Her perception of the events that transpired could have changed at some point.

In his "confession" he still maintained that believed that the encounter was consensual.

It's also super common for lawyers to paint the other side as "crazy" or "incompetent" or "untrustworthy." Super common tactic. Hell, one time my lawyer actually started fake-crying in the court room during a case where I was being charged with assault. I put the guy I fucked up in the hospital. Lawyer got me two days in jail an I walked away with no actual conviction on my record.

So look, Kobe can be totally innocent, and I wouldn't be surprised, but I'm just not sure why his sexual assault case being brought up has incited such strong, negative reactions from people, with some folks even sending death threats to different journalists for just bringing it up.

Why are people so quick to believe the victim when it comes to sexual assault (which is a good thing, in my opinion), but with Kobe it's suddenly "oh that girl was crazy" or "the apology was a part of his contract" or whatever else?

I'm forced to ask, would Kobe be getting the same benefit of doubt were he a rich, successful white man? I'm having a hard time believing so. The issue is, race shouldn't even be playing a role in this conversation. Rape is rape. Sexual predators are sexual predators. Regardless of race, or how much money they make, or anything else.

It just really doesn't make sense. The guy was a legend. One horrible act, if it was what the woman says it was, doesn't tarnish his legacy. The man did amazing things in the game, and I don't even give a shit about basketball.

Just doesn't make sense that we're not even allowed to bring it up. It's silly. It's a part of his history, like it or not.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.
(February 9, 2020 at 1:56 am)no one Wrote: At the end of the game, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Sucks because the guy had more money than god, and the family would probably give it all away just to have Gianna and Kobe back. Crazy stuff man
(February 9, 2020 at 1:04 am)EgoDeath Wrote:
(February 9, 2020 at 12:46 am)Shell B Wrote: Just a quick question/observation here. Imagine you're white, living your life completely uncaring of race. You're not racist in any sense of the word. You support a future that includes, not reparations, but a restructuring of many things to correct the economic and educational disadvantages caused by past laws. Imagine someone treats you like you personally fucked over their whole family every time you speak to them. Do you think it's fair to feel racially profiled at the very least? Maybe it's not fair to make assumptions based on people's race, no matter what their race is.

Well, I am white, and I do say so. But that's not really the point. It's more incidental than anything. I mean, any of you, regardless of race, lol, can just look up Kobe's quote where he admitted that he understood that the interaction was not consensual on the girl's part. Meaning, in short, it wasn't consensual. All parties have to consent when it comes to sex. End of story. That's just sort of how that whole thing works, believe it or not. You being a victim of sexual assault in the past, if I'm not mistaken, I figured you'd be on the other side of this here, if there are even sides. This has nothing to do with me being white, or you being Puerto Rican, or someone else being a Danish transgender power lifter who collects stamps and really enjoys the band System of a Down.

So, while it's cute to just call me an entitled white asshole and not actually respond to any of my points with logical, well-thought out ideas, it doesn't actually lead to any sort of interesting or meaningful discussion. In fact, it totally leaves me to believe that the poster who put that image up (also, how are you seeing the pic and I'm not?) simply wanted to play the race card to shut me up. Trying to silence someone by saying "you're white and privileged so your opinion doesn't count" is just silly and a bit bully-ish. Granted, let me stop anyone before they try it, I'm not claiming to be a victim here, because I know everyone in the race to be woke loves to use that line any time a straight white male points out that someone else isn't fighting fair. It usually sounds like something like, "Oh, look at the poor white guy crying for being bullied! Boohoo!" No. I'm just pointing out that it's silly to play the race card and then no actually care enough to make  valid points about the topic at that hand.

It's akin to saying, you're white so your opinion doesn't count. Well, sorry to break it to ya: that's racist.

So, all of that being said... No, I cannot imagine, and never will be able to imagine, what it's like to be black in America. 90% of my friends are black. Three of my cousins are black. And I've dated more black girls than I can count on both hands. I've heard plenty of terrible stories. Horror stories. But I think it's simply so foreign to me that my brain cannot imagine what it would be like to be treated that way. At the end of the day, I simply do not wake up in the morning and think about the color of my skin. And I admit, I'm privileged enough that I don't have to think about the color of my skin. That's not a luxury that lots of people of color get. But you know what? That's not really my problem. It must suck, seriously. My sympathy is with anyone who has to deal with that shit. It must be terrible, and certainly wouldn't help your self-esteem... constantly being told you're less than  because you're not white, in so many words. Yeah, that's shitty.

But shell b, just relax there hun. I'm from the hood. I grew up blocks away from East Cleveland. The nickname for that neighborhood was Baghdad. I know black people far more than you ever have or will. And don't get me wrong, the ghetto doesn't encapsulate what being black is, but I very much grew up around and surrounded by African-American culture. So your little self-righteous crusade for the black folks comes off as a little cringey.

I don't pretend to know what it's like to be black in America, and I never will. But I do get black culture in that I grew up in it. And I'd sort of happy for that because growing up in a neighborhood like that allowed me to meet people from all different races and walks of life at a very young age. I tried lots of different types of foods growing up, heard different languages being spoken around me. Very interesting stuff. My childhood was actually pretty eventful in a lot of ways.

So yeah, the suburban white girl trying to tell me about "imagine what it's like to be black" is a little funny, to say the least.

But that's not really the issue at hand here. You can look up Kobe's words for yourself... Here ya' go:

https://www.duckduckGo.com

Search for yourself.

And look, I get it.

"The poor little white man is so blinded by his privilege that he doesn't see the point"

No, I get it. And I'm simply telling you that in this case, that's not what we're talking about. What we're talking about is a man who had a sexual encounter with a woman who did not consent to sex. Very easy. Very simple. And listen, if it all was a set up, and Kobe truly was just a victim of some scheme by some psycho bitch who wanted a quick dollar and her little fifteen minutes of fame, then that is horrible. That's fucking terrifying. But given Bryant's own words, I simply do not think that's the case here.

My main point however, was that I'm not demonizing Bryant, and I hope you guys get that. Once again, a man is more than just a terrible mistake he made, or a terrible choice he made, once upon a time.

I simply think that the sexual assault thing was a part of his history, and I'm confused by the backlash people are getting for bringing it up.

I mean for christs fucking sake he admitted to having a non-consensual sexual encounter with a woman... holy fuck people come on.

I don't think ShellB was crusading for anyone nor did she tell anyone to "imagine they are black", her point was about racial profiling people rather than addressing what they actually think as an individual, which is also a point you were making.

(February 9, 2020 at 1:22 am)Athene Wrote:

The apology didn't have anything to do with his contract, The apology was probably part of the settlement in exchange for not pursuing the criminal charges. This is evident because Bryant doesn't issue this apology until after the case is dropped, his team did everything they could to smear the girl but when they found out prosecutors had enough evidence to go to trial they cut a deal. 

The NBA is not going to have you make statements that could affect you legally in order to sign a contract, i'm not sure if that's even legal but most of all the players union would never allow it.
(January 26, 2020 at 11:18 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: I don't understand why this type of accident still happens. GPS can give you a 3-D representation of where you are superimposed over a 3-D topographical map. An aircraft like an S-76 is worth > $10 million U.S. The cost of such a system is absolutely trivial compared to the cost of the aircraft - to say nothing of human operators and cargo.

Shit is going to happen outside of our ability to control but controlled flight into terrain should no longer be happening. GPS should have eliminated this type of accident more than a decade ago.

It shouldn't have. Conditions were not VFR which most helicopters need in order to fly. The pilot decided to give it a try anyways. I'm a PPL. And I would almost NEVER fly under IFR conditions. Unless I absolutely have to. Not trying to blame the pilot, but this could have been easily prevented.

People bringing up Kobe's rape allegations..just remember she REFUSED to testify.
The arrogance of man is thinking nature is in their control and not the other way around. 

Just because she's in a wheel chair doesn't mean she can't be hot
(February 9, 2020 at 12:46 am)Shell B Wrote: Just a quick question/observation here. Imagine you're white, living your life completely uncaring of race. You're not racist in any sense of the word.
*emphasis mine*
Black people don't have that luxury. for example, I live in and open carry state and white people are able to open carry all up in the grocery store, do you think it'd be a good idea for me to live my life completely uncaring of race and do the same?

(February 9, 2020 at 12:46 am)Shell B Wrote: You support a future that includes, not reparations, but a restructuring of many things to correct the economic and educational disadvantages caused by past laws.
Do you believe that the Jews should not have gotten reparations also?

(February 9, 2020 at 12:46 am)Shell B Wrote: Imagine someone treats you like you personally fucked over their whole family every time you speak to them. Do you think it's fair to feel racially profiled at the very least? Maybe it's not fair to make assumptions based on people's race, no matter what their race is.
Why are you taking what I said personally?

(February 9, 2020 at 1:04 am)EgoDeath Wrote: I mean for christs fucking sake he admitted to having a non-consensual sexual encounter with a woman... holy fuck people come on.
*Emphasis mine*

Ok, then explain why her own friends believed differently?

[Image: AqDdcvj.png]
(February 9, 2020 at 6:44 am)Mr.wizard Wrote:
(February 9, 2020 at 1:22 am)Athene Wrote: Probably. Though I also assumed that Bryant later discovering that his accuser was taking anti-psychotic medication used to treat schizophrenia at the time in question may have played a role in compelling him to say that he could understand how she felt she had been assaulted. Compulsive behavior, disorientation, hallucinations and delusions are common to the disorder. Her perception of the events that transpired could have changed at some point.

The apology didn't have anything to do with his contract, The apology was probably part of the settlement in exchange for not pursuing the criminal charges. This is evident because Bryant doesn't issue this apology until after the case is dropped, his team did everything they could to smear the girl but when they found out prosecutors had enough evidence to go to trial they cut a deal. 

The NBA is not going to have you make statements that could affect you legally in order to sign a contract, i'm not sure if that's even legal but most of all the players union would never allow it.

Nonetheless, Bryant having been motivated to write the letter after being enlightened to her apparent psychiatric condition is remarkably plausible, IMO. 
Her presumed schizophrenic disorder could also easily explain why some witnesses reported her being elated, giddy and bragging about the big Black celebrity cock she got one moment, and others reported her appearing angry and depressed about it--And in assuming she wasn't lying just to lie, perhaps why she later contacted detectives to inform them that detailed account she gave of Bryant looming over and forcing her wash up of the encounter never even happened

If Bryant had known of her condition prior to the encounter, one could easily submit that he took advantage of her condition (at the least), and I would be inclined to agree. But he didn't.

She was a stranger to him.

Like or not, her apparent condition would and should have been extremely relevant in determining Bryant's guilt in a court of law. Not as a means of simply dismissing her account by sole virtue of her having mental health issues, but because her condition clearly seemed to illicit drastically different perceptions of the encounter from her at different times.One in which she expressed having had a fun time nailing a celebrity, and one in which she she felt violated.

You and several others here might feel comfortable simply glossing over or ignoring such glaring contradictions, barreling ahead and labeling Bryant a rapist, but I'm not.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boeing 737-800 Airliner Crash in China HappySkeptic 0 259 March 21, 2022 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Subway crash in Mexico City. Brian37 11 1238 May 4, 2021 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  World economy at risk of another crash downbeatplumb 2 447 October 5, 2018 at 5:08 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Robert Reich: "We might be heading for a crash as bad as 1929" Aegon 10 1318 September 13, 2018 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Trump Says Market Would Crash If He Gets Impeached BrianSoddingBoru4 119 14113 August 29, 2018 at 11:28 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  C-130 crash kills at least 5 in GA c172 1 526 May 2, 2018 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Self-driving shuttle bus in crash on first day. Succubus 13 1799 November 11, 2017 at 2:29 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Russian helicopter accidentally fires on bystanders Jello 6 1562 September 21, 2017 at 6:31 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Plane crash in South America Catholic_Lady 36 11833 November 30, 2016 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Russian Plane Crash Minimalist 70 9499 November 17, 2015 at 2:30 pm
Last Post: Minimalist