Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 6:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The absurd need for logical proofs for God
RE: The absurd need for logical proofs for God
(December 8, 2020 at 8:21 pm)SUNGULA Wrote: I care about your opinion of my position again why? Oh, wait I just remembered I don't. Did I say there were causes before? No, I don't think I did. You realize one can find nothing illogical about a position but not accept it, And at the same time reject the first cause arguments because they are all rubbish.

You don't get to play the agnostic position on whether there is a first cause or not, you stupid kid. There either are infinite actual causes or a first cause. Now pick one, or go back to kindergarten.

(December 8, 2020 at 8:21 pm)SUNGULA Wrote: Well bored of listening to the same rubbish theist babble for the one-millionth time. Conversing with you is about as stimulating as reasoning with a bucket of warm water. 🥱🥱🥱

Have a lovely evening Hehe

Leave the words "theist", "conversing", "reasoning" for people capable of heavy thinking, you're just embarassing yourself now.

(December 8, 2020 at 8:39 pm)Apollo Wrote: When you say god are you referring to the farting unicorn? Because last I checked it couldn’t even move its ass.

Talk is very easy. You can always make a god and give all the power. Doesn’t mean much more than gobbledygook.

I see you're backing off now. Under the assumption of the existence of a three-omni being- call it unicorn or anything you like, why do you think breaking laws of nature is impossible for the latter ?
(December 8, 2020 at 8:50 pm)Klorophyll Wrote:
(December 8, 2020 at 8:21 pm)SUNGULA Wrote: I care about your opinion of my position again why? Oh, wait I just remembered I don't. Did I say there were causes before? No, I don't think I did. You realize one can find nothing illogical about a position but not accept it, And at the same time reject the first cause arguments because they are all rubbish.

You don't get to play the agnostic position on whether there is a first cause or not, you stupid kid. There either are infinite actual causes or a first cause. Now pick one, or go back to kindergarten.

(December 8, 2020 at 8:21 pm)SUNGULA Wrote: Well bored of listening to the same rubbish theist babble for the one-millionth time. Conversing with you is about as stimulating as reasoning with a bucket of warm water. 🥱🥱🥱

Leave the words "theist", "conversing", "reasoning" for people capable of heavy thinking, you're just embarassing yourself now.

(December 8, 2020 at 8:39 pm)Apollo Wrote: When you say god are you referring to the farting unicorn? Because last I checked it couldn’t even move its ass.

Talk is very easy. You can always make a god and give all the power. Doesn’t mean much more than gobbledygook.

I see you're backing off now. Under the assumption of the existence of a three-omni being- call it unicorn or anything you like, why do you think breaking laws of nature is impossible for the latter ?

That was jest—I will wait (without holding my breath) for math and data. Take your time.
(December 8, 2020 at 8:50 pm)Klorophyll Wrote:

1. You don't get to dictate the options, I'm afraid, And the only one here who belongs in kindergarten is the person with an invisible friend.

2. Your right those words are for heavy thinkers. This is why someone like you shouldn't be using them, And the only one between us who should be embarrassed is you for your comedy of errors on this forum. But that would require self-awareness and a sense of shame, two qualities you lack. 

Now I believe I have already told you this conversation was at an end. But since you are slow. So I will simplify it for you.

Piss off Kloraborabingbang !!!🤣🤣🤣
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(December 7, 2020 at 2:01 pm)Klorophyll Wrote:
(December 3, 2020 at 4:31 pm)Angrboda Wrote: I don't have time to respond to the rest at this time, but since you've raised the point multiple times, I have to ask, in the interest of clarity, what ends you are suggesting the universe is clearly adapted toward achieving?  The universe isn't in any sense adapted toward the end of being itself, so its fine-tuning seems an unlikely meaning.  If you are claiming the universe appears adapted for the existence of life, then you are simply wrong.  Life is opportunistic, in as much as it is clearly defined -- which it isn't. 

The universe may have for an end making life possible.

It might.  Then again it might not.  Even if we did know enough to make any generalizations about "life" per se, as opposed to "life as we know it," which are not the same thing.

(December 7, 2020 at 2:01 pm)Klorophyll Wrote: Whether life is opportunistic or not is irrelevant.

Not true.  It's highly relevant, as if life conforms to the universe regardless of whether the universe is conformed to life, then the existence of life says nothing about design.

(December 7, 2020 at 2:01 pm)Klorophyll Wrote: We really are here, and we should account for that.

That's assuming there is a reason behind our being here, which is a form of begging the question.  If there is no reason for our being here, then there is no accounting for it.

(December 7, 2020 at 2:01 pm)Klorophyll Wrote: Randomness and blind processes can't be the right answer, they're not even an answer. A random process still needs a starting point, an initial value.

It's not exactly clear what you're trying to express here.  If you're suggesting that natural processes cannot explain life, then I'd say you're mistaken.  You seem to mix parts of unrelated arguments freely, so it's not clear why you introduce the question of beginnings.  However, the fact that something needs a beginning doesn't lead to the conclusion that any specific endpoint was intended at that beginning.  Life is a possible endpoint that might have been intended.  Or, perhaps God likes heavy elements and designed the universe toward that end, and life was just an accidental byproduct.  Or perhaps God had no further thought to the universe than that he found this set of constants more aesthetically pleasing than any other, and he didn't care about life or any of the rest.  It echoes a point in a summary of objections to the common claim that the universe was fine-tuned for life that I'll link you to shortly.  The fact is, only the designer can inform us of his/her intentions, the universe itself is mute and uninformative with regards to any designer's intentions.  If I hand you a screwdriver, you might infer that I want you to tighten some screws.  Unbeknownst to you, I actually want you to use it to hammer some nails.  What you think the screwdriver might be best suited for is irrelevant.

So, no, you haven't provided any compelling justification for believing that the universe was fine-tuned for "life" -- whatever that might be defined as.

And finally, you're wrong about the necessity of starting points.  The Hawking-Hartle No-boundary proposal dispenses with beginnings, as does Roger Penrose's Conformal Cyclic Cosmology model.  And those are just two models that we know about from modern physics.  It's possible the explanation for the existence of the universe is something we haven't yet imagined.  As Rumsfield said, there are always the unknown unknowns.  So suggesting God, design, or creation events are necessary explanations because we lack alternatives becomes an argument from ignorance, with the corresponding conclusion that such arguments are invalid, and their conclusions not reliably true.

See also, claims CI120 and CI301 at TalkOrigins: An Index To Creationist Claims for additional problems with your argument.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 8, 2020 at 7:12 pm)Klorophyll Wrote:
(December 7, 2020 at 2:06 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Well, they could be - there's no specific reason that randomness and blind processes couldn't yield a given outcome.  I don't see why it would matter to us, though, since we're not talking about the products of randomness or blind processes.

Blind or unconscious processes aren't supposed to yield conscious beings -us, that's why it's more probable than not that a conscious agent is behind these ((blind)) processes, because they seem to forcibly yield our existence.

Why not?  Why aren't blind or unconscious processes supposed to yield conscious beings?  Additionally, why do you keep babbling about blind unconscious processes as we discuss life?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Is plant food still synthesizing utter horseshit?
(December 9, 2020 at 8:11 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Why not?  Why aren't blind or unconscious processes supposed to yield conscious beings?

because they are ... UNconscious ? It's good to splash your face with cold water from time to time, you know.. to pay more attention to prefixes and all.
Are monkeys randomly typing on a keyboard for 100 years supposed to produce one of Shakespeare's plays ? ..... you guessed it, no.

(December 9, 2020 at 8:11 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Additionally, why do you keep babbling about blind unconscious processes as we discuss life?

Because it's really unlikely that these unconscious, lifeless processes would produce life if there was no agent planning all this ahead.

(December 8, 2020 at 10:47 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Not true.  It's highly relevant, as if life conforms to the universe regardless of whether the universe is conformed to life, then the existence of life says nothing about design.
And now you run into the obvious problem... what would say anything about design, then ? If you think life with all its complexity isn't .. enough ..
Besides.. can you define design for me please ? Nobody so far gave a good definition.

(December 8, 2020 at 10:47 pm)Angrboda Wrote: That's assuming there is a reason behind our being here, which is a form of begging the question.  If there is no reason for our being here, then there is no accounting for it.
I'm not sure what you mean by reason. In any case, there is a cause to this universe, and one is forced to pick between first cause and infinite regress. There is no third option, no agnostic position.

(December 8, 2020 at 10:47 pm)Angrboda Wrote: It's not exactly clear what you're trying to express here.  If you're suggesting that natural processes cannot explain life, then I'd say you're mistaken.  You seem to mix parts of unrelated arguments freely, so it's not clear why you introduce the question of beginnings.  However, the fact that something needs a beginning doesn't lead to the conclusion that any specific endpoint was intended at that beginning.  Life is a possible endpoint that might have been intended.  Or, perhaps God likes heavy elements and designed the universe toward that end, and life was just an accidental byproduct.  Or perhaps God had no further thought to the universe than that he found this set of constants more aesthetically pleasing than any other, and he didn't care about life or any of the rest.  It echoes a point in a summary of objections to the common claim that the universe was fine-tuned for life that I'll link you to shortly.  The fact is, only the designer can inform us of his/her intentions, the universe itself is mute and uninformative with regards to any designer's intentions.  If I hand you a screwdriver, you might infer that I want you to tighten some screws.  Unbeknownst to you, I actually want you to use it to hammer some nails.  What you think the screwdriver might be best suited for is irrelevant.

So, no, you haven't provided any compelling justification for believing that the universe was fine-tuned for "life" -- whatever that might be defined as.

And finally, you're wrong about the necessity of starting points.  The Hawking-Hartle No-boundary proposal dispenses with beginnings, as does Roger Penrose's Conformal Cyclic Cosmology model.  And those are just two models that we know about from modern physics.  It's possible the explanation for the existence of the universe is something we haven't yet imagined.  As Rumsfield said, there are always the unknown unknowns.  So suggesting God, design, or creation events are necessary explanations because we lack alternatives becomes an argument from ignorance, with the corresponding conclusion that such arguments are invalid, and their conclusions not reliably true.

First of all, the models you're talking are proposals deduced from mathematical formulations, they're not related to any empirical observation, so you can't rely on them to run away from the problem of the first cause.
Secondly, it's logically forced that there either is a first cause or an infinite regress, this has nothing to do with appeal to ignorance or lack of imagination. Finite or infinite, not both, no third option. Now you say the universe itself is the first cause, I say everything we know about modern physics, most importantly the BB, makes your proposal highly unlikely.
Translation:
Life is scary, and confusing. Death is even more frightening. I am so god damned important, there must be something waiting for my significantly wonderful ass.
(December 9, 2020 at 9:55 am)no one Wrote: Translation:
Life is scary, and confusing. Death is even more frightening. I am so god damned important, there must be something waiting for my significantly wonderful ass.

This is a stupid line of thought. There is nothing comforting with an afterlife, either. Ceasing to exist is much better than the slightest possibility of eternal damnation.
(December 9, 2020 at 9:58 am)Klorophyll Wrote: This is a stupid line of thought. There is nothing comforting with an afterlife, either. Ceasing to exist is much better than the slightest possibility of eternal damnation.

All I see is religious people scaring themselves into believing, as you have so aptly demonstrated.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 1037 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Does afterlife need God? Fake Messiah 7 1432 February 4, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7340 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Mass shooting in a school? Need God. Mass shooting in a church?.... Chad32 54 11927 November 14, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Christian in need of help (feeling uneasy about God quote)!! MellisaClarke 99 31677 May 29, 2017 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Logical proof that God doesnt exist. Macoleco 5 2678 November 24, 2016 at 2:47 am
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  More insight into religion: logical and emotional beliefs robvalue 22 3709 August 16, 2016 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Does god need your help? robvalue 66 9546 May 19, 2016 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral Rhondazvous 24 7495 January 22, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  Why logical arguments for Messengers don't work. Mystic 45 11881 January 6, 2016 at 2:40 am
Last Post: robvalue