Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 10:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions for theists.
RE: Questions for theists.
I'm anti bullshit Frodo. If you could demonstrate exactly how fanciful stories of an afterlife concocted by people who lived thousands of years ago (the afterlife is one of our oldest superstitions) is science, then you would have a point. As it stands, you seem to be upset that I'm shitting on your fairy tale. So what? I shit on other peoples fairy tales all day every day on this forum and you're nowhere to be found.

"We don't know and so this may be possible" only applies when whatever you're suggesting is even remotely plausible. The afterlife (and souls or spirits) isn't one of those things. If it were, then so are thetans, astral projection, and yggdrasil. Attempting to shoehorn a fairy tale into a gap in our knowledge is an argument with a name. It's even worse when you have to argue your way into having a gap in the first place.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 11, 2011 at 9:28 am)chadster1976 Wrote: Where was I? I think I lost consciousness for a while...

I told you to quit running into light poles. Big Grin
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(November 11, 2011 at 9:23 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: lmao. I'm sure it'll feel like such a load off his back.

He won't. He'll keep butting his head against that lamp post for a very long time I'm sure. You know what a dick he is.
I think now you're confusing who I'm referring to.
(November 10, 2011 at 5:35 pm)tackattack Wrote: And the associated link from that author take you right to here

"A statistical analysis of more than 100 NDE subjects revealed that prior religious belief and prior knowledge of NDEs did not have an appreciable effect on the likelihood of having an NDE."

If the presence of an NDE is somehow proving an afterlife and therefore a "god" with the study above, then why did only 15% of the study participants experience an NDE? Wouldn't it be 100% or hell, at least 50%? Especially since having an NDE was not related to a person's religious background. Maybe those 15% just have a more vivid imagination? Hmmm....

"Gallup and Proctor found that 15 percent of all Americans who had been in near-death situations reported NDEs"

http://science.howstuffworks.com/science...ience2.htm

@ Summer: Remove your bias and you'll see striking similarities.
[rolling eyes] not this again....

(November 10, 2011 at 3:44 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Well he said he doesn't know - no claim = no burden.
Ah.. He did said that. However, I brought "burden of proof" out of my assumption that chadster1976's belief of Roman Catholicism may differ otherwise than science. But I really don't know chadster1976's belief in an afterlife through by his perspective of Roman Catholicism. I'll have to ask him directly, I suppose.

(November 10, 2011 at 5:05 pm)chadster1976 Wrote: I didn't claim there is an afterlife, only that WE don't know. I stand by that.
But what do you stand by through the perspective of your own belief, Roman Catholicism?

(November 10, 2011 at 5:05 pm)chadster1976 Wrote: Saying you don't know the answer to a question is an important part of science.
Strongly agreed.

(November 10, 2011 at 5:05 pm)chadster1976 Wrote: It leads us to experiment and seek the truth.
Agreed - But science didn't have reliable research on an afterlife ever since many years despite the theists' extraordinary claims of an afterlife. That alone conclude me that discovery of an afterlife is most unlikely or never existed in first place. Or maybe I'm biased.

(November 10, 2011 at 5:05 pm)chadster1976 Wrote: To blindly say "nothing happens" closes the door to potential knowledge.
Agreed. However, the ones making extraordinary claims of an afterlife/the claims of NDE may be an afterlife without reliable evidence of all means - are not scientific and should be dismissed.

I guess we're back to position where "we don't know" but unlikely, most unlikely to have science discover an afterlife that may linked to the claims of Roman Catholicism, Christianity, Islam, and more religions accountable for.

But nicely said, Chadster.
(November 11, 2011 at 9:50 am)fr0d0 Wrote: @ Summer: Remove your bias and you'll see striking similarities.

ever waited more than 20 posts to rep a theist?
I think he's just pissed I like you English more than the Welsh.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two questions for theists. Edwardo Piet 19 2802 May 13, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: surreptitious57
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 5044 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8506 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  Questions to theists tor 94 11398 March 20, 2014 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  20 Questions for Theists FallentoReason 37 14973 July 8, 2013 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Angrboda