Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 7:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What makes people irrational thinkers?
RE: What makes people irrational thinkers?
Hart makes the claim about physical reality being contingent multiple times, but thus far I haven’t come across any specific support for that assertion other than “something can’t come from nothing,” which is problematic for reasons i mentioned earlier. O
Also, there’s this:

“If it is one’s sordid fate to be an academic philosopher, one might even try to con- vince oneself that the question of existence is an inept or false query generated by the seductions of imprecise grammar, or one might simply adopt the analytic philosopher’s classic gesture of flinging one’s hands haplessly in the air and proclaiming that one simply finds the question entirely unintelligible. All of this, how- ever, is an abdication of the responsibility to think..”

On the contrary, that is a perfectly rational conclusion reached via intellectual honesty and humility regarding the limits of our own capabilities; the possibility that we simply don’t know, and may never know. This uncertainty seems profoundly uncomfortable for Hart as he mentions it as a reason to believe in the supernatural more than a few times in the first hundred pages. Uncomfortable and frustrating though it may be, the unknown does not give us intellectual license fill in the blanks using our imagination simply for the fact that it satisfies our curiosity and soothes our existential agitation.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Quote:It's not much of a delusion if everything goes right in your life and you have a good life [Image: great.gif]
Again are both of those true or is that just a delusion  Hehe

(December 27, 2021 at 7:12 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Hart makes a lot of claims about physical reality being contingent, but thus far I haven’t come across any specific support for that assertion. Also, there’s this:

“If it is one’s sordid fate to be an academic philosopher, one might even try to con- vince oneself that the question of existence is an inept or false query generated by the seductions of imprecise grammar, or one might simply adopt the analytic philosopher’s classic gesture of flinging one’s hands haplessly in the air and proclaiming that one simply finds the question entirely unintelligible. All of this, how- ever, is an abdication of the responsibility to think..”

On the contrary, that is a perfectly rational conclusion reached via intellectual honesty and humility regarding the limits of our own capabilities; the possibility that we simply don’t know, and may never know. This uncertainty seems profoundly uncomfortable for Hart as he mentions it as a reason to believe in the supernatural more than a few times in the first hundred pages. Uncomfortable and frustrating though it may be, the unknown does not give us intellectual license to simply make something up simply for the fact that it soothes our curiosity and agitation.
Indeed cheating by invoking magic is as good as not having an answer at all.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(December 27, 2021 at 7:02 pm)Ahriman Wrote: It's not much of a delusion if everything goes right in your life and you have a good life Great

Weren't you just telling us that you don't have money to buy Christmas gifts?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 27, 2021 at 8:04 pm)Angrboda Wrote:
(December 27, 2021 at 7:02 pm)Ahriman Wrote: It's not much of a delusion if everything goes right in your life and you have a good life Great

Weren't you just telling us that you don't have money to buy Christmas gifts?
Money ain't everything Hmph
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(December 27, 2021 at 5:25 pm)Ahriman Wrote:
(December 27, 2021 at 4:37 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Sure. But it wouldn’t be because you soundly reasoned to the correct conclusion.
Intuition is a valid form of information processing.

No, it is not. It frequently, even usually, gives the wrong answers. That is exactly what it means to be an invalid form of information processing.

(December 27, 2021 at 6:49 pm)Ahriman Wrote: I mean......putting all important decision making in the hands of a god, or some gods, might be irrational, but if they do everything right, who really cares if it's rational or not.

Any rational person?
(December 27, 2021 at 8:11 pm)Ahriman Wrote:
(December 27, 2021 at 8:04 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Weren't you just telling us that you don't have money to buy Christmas gifts?
Money ain't everything Hmph

I see. So in other words you simply redefine "doing well" until your life situation matches. That's a form of equivocation which makes your conclusion that you're "doing well" invalid.

That's not doing well, that's just fooling oneself.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 27, 2021 at 1:15 pm)Ahriman Wrote: You can be irrational but still be right, correct?

You can, absolutely - but the faithful are irrational....know they're irrational...- and know they're wrong...and still they insist.....

It's a heady brew. -Because they want a thing, and don't give a fuck whether it's right or wrong or rational. Course....I don't have to tell you that, now do I?

(December 27, 2021 at 4:36 pm)Belacqua Wrote:
(December 27, 2021 at 4:31 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Again, until he can show that physical reality itself can’t exist necessarily, this argument is begging the question.

It isn't begging the question if there are elaborate arguments for it.

I'm also working on other things, so explicating the whole book isn't possible for me right now.

That's not actually how that works.  There are many elaborate arguments for irrational things. There being some elaborate piece of bullshit for a thing doesn't mean that the thing in question isn't question begging...jesus christ....?

Have you ever considered asking for your money back from wherever you pretend to have been educated?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 27, 2021 at 9:30 pm)Angrboda Wrote:
(December 27, 2021 at 8:11 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Money ain't everything Hmph

I see.  So in other words you simply redefine "doing well" until your life situation matches.  That's a form of equivocation which makes your conclusion that you're "doing well" invalid.

That's not doing well, that's just fooling oneself.

I´d rather call it "trolling a forum", in a very lazy way.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(December 27, 2021 at 7:12 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Hart makes the claim about physical reality being contingent multiple times, but thus far I haven’t come across any specific support for that assertion other than “something can’t come from nothing,” which is problematic for reasons i mentioned earlier. O
Also, there’s this:

On the contrary, that is a perfectly rational conclusion reached via intellectual honesty and humility regarding the limits of our own capabilities; the possibility that we simply don’t know, and may never know. This uncertainty seems profoundly uncomfortable for Hart as he mentions it as a reason to believe in the supernatural more than a few times in the first hundred pages. Uncomfortable and frustrating though it may be, the unknown does not give us intellectual license to simply make something up simply for the fact that it soothes our curiosity and agitation.

Is properly basic to consider physical reality non-contingent? I am okay with that but IMHO that also is an unsupported opinion. I wonder. How would you falsify this physicalist position?
<insert profound quote here>
Quote:Is properly basic to consider physical reality non-contingent? I am okay with that but IMHO that also is an unsupported opinion. I wonder. How would you falsify this physicalist position?
Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 2047 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  It makes me sad Rahn127 7 1699 April 24, 2019 at 10:55 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  What makes people believe in religion? LetThereBeNoGod 11 3211 February 21, 2017 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2638 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Atheism is irrational. theologian 153 20928 December 15, 2016 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  As an atheist, what makes your socks go up and down?? vorlon13 4 1548 May 18, 2016 at 7:03 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How Irrational People Think Mudhammam 41 7589 January 18, 2015 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  In need of a more humbleness. Why condemning the Theistic position makes no sense. Mystic 141 24341 September 22, 2014 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Chas
  Irrational beliefs ManMachine 29 4713 July 27, 2014 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Atheism Kills Off the Ambition of the Lower Classes and Makes them Anti-Social Blackrook 59 29134 July 9, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Amalynne0