Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 2:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indoctrination
RE: Indoctrination
(January 22, 2022 at 1:01 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Well there are different types of evidence. The evidence of a believer is faith-based evidence, meaning it's not empirical evidence, but still a valid form of evidence.

I don't "do" religious faith.  At all.  My brain simply doesn't permit it to happen.  To me, "faith" and "evidence" do not belong in the same sentence, and all faith-based claims are rejected as utterly worthless to me.
(January 24, 2022 at 2:46 pm)Astreja Wrote:
(January 22, 2022 at 1:01 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Well there are different types of evidence. The evidence of a believer is faith-based evidence, meaning it's not empirical evidence, but still a valid form of evidence.

I don't "do" religious faith.  At all.  My brain simply doesn't permit it to happen.  To me, "faith" and "evidence" do not belong in the same sentence, and all faith-based claims are rejected as utterly worthless to me.
Has it always been that way for you, your whole life?
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(January 24, 2022 at 2:59 pm)Ahriman Wrote:
(January 24, 2022 at 2:46 pm)Astreja Wrote: I don't "do" religious faith.  At all.  My brain simply doesn't permit it to happen.  To me, "faith" and "evidence" do not belong in the same sentence, and all faith-based claims are rejected as utterly worthless to me.
Has it always been that way for you, your whole life?

Yes, it has.  I've never been able to uncritically accept a supernatural claim - my brain automatically tags it with "Yeah, right..."
(January 24, 2022 at 4:08 pm)Astreja Wrote:
(January 24, 2022 at 2:59 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Has it always been that way for you, your whole life?

Yes, it has.  I've never been able to uncritically accept a supernatural claim - my brain automatically tags it with "Yeah, right..."
Do you think this makes you better than people who believe in the supernatural?
(January 24, 2022 at 4:18 pm)Ahriman Wrote:
(January 24, 2022 at 4:08 pm)Astreja Wrote: Yes, it has.  I've never been able to uncritically accept a supernatural claim - my brain automatically tags it with "Yeah, right..."
Do you think this makes you better than people who believe in the supernatural?

Attempt at poisoning the well noted.

What I believe about myself has nothing to do with this.

What I believe about religion -- or rather, what I simply cannot believe -- is where the rubber hits the road.  Religion is a non-starter for me, and has been since I read the Bible in the early 1960s.  It just isn't believable to me, and I refuse to lie to myself by pretending to believe.
(January 24, 2022 at 4:24 pm)Astreja Wrote:
(January 24, 2022 at 4:18 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Do you think this makes you better than people who believe in the supernatural?

Attempt at poisoning the well noted.

What I believe about myself has nothing to do with this.

What I believe about religion -- or rather, what I simply cannot believe -- is where the rubber hits the road.  Religion is a non-starter for me, and has been since I read the Bible in the early 1960s.  It just isn't believable to me, and I refuse to lie to myself by pretending to believe.
Would you worship a human if you thought he/she was really awesome?
(January 24, 2022 at 4:30 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Would you worship a human if you thought he/she was really awesome?

Nope. The very idea of worship is baffling to me. Why? Why would someone want to worship, well, anything?
That's the second hurdle that successful indoctrination has to overcome. You have to be convinced that there's a there, there...but you also have to be compelled to do something about it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 24, 2022 at 4:33 pm)Astreja Wrote:
(January 24, 2022 at 4:30 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Would you worship a human if you thought he/she was really awesome?

Nope.  The very idea of worship is baffling to me.  Why?  Why would someone want to worship, well, anything?
It's a willing act of submission (or not so willing, depending on the context) that earns you good boy/girl points, either with the government (in case of a theocracy) or just with the object of worship itself.
Is there a store where you get to spend them? Do the prices compare favorably to the counter at chuck e cheese?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Disgusting Example of Indoctrination Socratic Meth Head 41 6827 April 10, 2016 at 8:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Religious indoctrination of Nieces and Nephews: How to help? Free Thinker 11 2852 November 23, 2014 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nope
  Child Indoctrination God Is Not Gr8 5 1604 February 22, 2014 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Leaving indoctrination behind Joel 9 2667 March 23, 2013 at 2:03 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Religious Indoctrination: Your earliest experiences. Reforged 10 4958 April 17, 2012 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Mystic