Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 26, 2024, 6:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Atheism and Secular Humanism are Failed Philosophies
RE: Why Atheism and Secular Humanism are Failed Philosophies
what we truly need to worry about is, when we have chips in our brain, the Anonymous hacking our brains! OMG
The Jew-Troll is still here - have had midterms this week will respond (in a new thread) tonight.
(November 27, 2011 at 6:17 pm)TheReal Wrote: I'm right You are your own God - is your name Lahni-do?

Read the opening of Genesis, that'll give you a good explanation also here's a book that spent months on Amazon's best sellers list written by a physicist from MIT who uses general and special relativity to show how the universe was indeed created in five and one half days.

http://www.amazon.com/Science-God-Conver...076790303X

ROFLOL

This should be entertaining. I find crazy people interesting. I find the title of that book hilarious.

(November 29, 2011 at 5:10 am)aleialoura Wrote:
(November 27, 2011 at 6:17 pm)TheReal Wrote: I'm right You are your own God - is your name Lahni-do?

Read the opening of Genesis, that'll give you a good explanation also here's a book that spent months on Amazon's best sellers list written by a physicist from MIT who uses general and special relativity to show how the universe was indeed created in five and one half days.

http://www.amazon.com/Science-God-Conver...076790303X

ROFLOL

This should be entertaining. I find crazy people interesting. I find the title of that book hilarious.

The level of positive reviews for that book on amazon.com is proof of the infinite nature of human stupidity.

undefined
(November 27, 2011 at 6:05 pm)TheReal Wrote: My point is that because happiness is your God you'll forsake humanity in order to live in a virtual reality world indistinguishable from a drug.

It would appear that you are already there. You have created a utopia in your mind and now your life is controlled by this belief.

If there is a god, it would not be so petty as to require the worship of it's creation not condemn it to eternity (heaven or hell). If there is no god, you have wasted the one and only life that you will ever have.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
"My point is that because happiness is your God you'll forsake humanity in order to live in a virtual reality world indistinguishable from a drug."

What do you think religion is, dude? About as far from reality as imaginable, and that is exactly the point you prove yourself incapable of getting. Religious nutjobs really should not bother to come into refuges for the sane and try to create an exodus. I imagine that my fellows here either think you are salvageable or simply a good source of entertainment. I have no such delusions and do not wish to share yours. If you cannot conceive of a world without a god, you cannot conceive of a chance to see clearly, ergo, you are at best befuddled, and at worst, insane.
Trying to update my sig ...
(November 29, 2011 at 9:29 am)Epimethean Wrote: I imagine that my fellows here either think you are salvageable or simply a good source of entertainment. I have no such delusions and do not wish to share yours. If you cannot conceive of a world without a god, you cannot conceive of a chance to see clearly, ergo, you are at best befuddled, and at worst, insane.

Yes, entertainment for sure. Nice distraction from work and keeps me laughing.

(November 29, 2011 at 12:54 am)Rhythm Wrote: You have to remember that the whole "religion and the supernatural" bit didn't just pop onto the scene in one day.
You keep saying that over and over again, but I never said it did. However, you never really explained what that has to do with what I said. Religion has been around for awhile, but there has been plenty of time to "grow out of it".
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
No offense implied. I'm just saying that religion is not the kind of thing you grow out of is all. It's a tool we've been altering to suit so many purposes that it's become a sort of swiss army knife of the absurd, and it has been refined to be pervasive and extremely manipulative (both to groups of people and to individuals). Wondering why people don't grow out of religion as they learn more about the world around them is perhaps taking the question from the wrong angle. Religion has changed as our knowledge has increased, and ignorance doesn't seem to be the driving factor. The beliefs themselves may be considered ignorant, but the same can't be said for the people as a whole (or really, even individually on that basis alone). Religion offers something that people desire (and that list of somethings is long). I'd love for all of the things the religious find in their religion to be true as well, I just can't bring myself to swallow the koolaid. For some reason or another (or many reasons) those hooks that religion comes equipped with just didn't get a good grip on me. Perhaps we've(atheists) found other ways to fulfill those common desires?

If someone says "I have faith" that isn't ignorance. Wishful thinking sure, but not strictly speaking ignorance. If they go further with convoluted bullshit as arguments to the absolute truth of their faith, and the "evidence" that shows their faith to be "knowledge"..then yeah, ignorance. If that evidence really was the basis for their faith then science etc should be able to rid them of it. It rarely does, and what does that say about claims to a reasoned faith, or a faith by consideration of the evidence? Long story short, all of us have headgear that's prone to malfunctioning or failing to properly do it's job. Doesn't mean that ignorance or lack of knowledge is the cause. Well educated people get things blisteringly wrong as well. If people didn't suffer or die, and if every question had been answered, there wouldn't be any room left for religion to make it's claims. Something tells me even that couldn't get rid of religion. Hell, I wouldn't even mind if everyone on earth became religious, as long as the religion everyone was following wasn't sick reality denying garbage. Religion isn't a problem, it's what people do with it. There aren't any thugs(a fun word, considering it's history) making sacrifices to hindu gods by accosting travelers on the highway in the US as far as I'm aware. So without people religion has no teeth.

To me, this question very much seems like asking "Given what we know about the universe, why are people still being people?". Might be the fact that a large portion of how we live our lives and what we decide is right or wrong, real or illusion, has nothing to do with empiricism. Never has, wouldn't surprise me if it never will. I don't ask myself questions like "is it objectively morally evil to murder a human being, and is morality a demonstrable piece of objective reality, and if so where does it come from". I just don't stick people with pointy objects (until I do, and again, I don't ask myself those questions). In a conversation about the subject I can give the whole thing a little more thought, but that doesn't mean I'm actually doing that in my day to day. How often do you think the religious ask themselves "Does my religion contradict scientific principles or laws?". I'd be willing to bet that they just don't consider whether or not it does, or simply go along with the idea that it somehow must not, even if they don't know how. God works in mysterious ways my friend..Smile
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
tl;dr
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does Sam Harris mean by saying that religions are failed sciences? FlatAssembler 21 2114 June 12, 2024 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Do you have any interest in the philosophies of introflection pioneered by Buddhism? Authari 67 4612 January 12, 2024 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 6606 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 5234 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 3701 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 6570 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 26901 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
Heart Humanism shadow 10 2969 March 14, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: shadow
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 9184 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 29144 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13