Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 2, 2024, 10:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The existence of God
RE: The existence of God
(November 17, 2022 at 7:32 am)arewethereyet Wrote:
(November 17, 2022 at 6:07 am)HankMoody316 Wrote: From reading the last 5-10 comments, may I ask what atheists consider to be a "mainstream atheist"?

I haven't heard the term 'mainstream atheist' till it fell from Ahriman's mouth.  Therefore, it's really not wasting a lot of time worrying about.  I have never been mainstream anything, so there's that.

Since atheists form a rather small minority, it's somewhat quixotic to refer to them as mainstream anything.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 16, 2022 at 10:25 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote:
(November 15, 2022 at 8:57 am)polymath257 Wrote: They are certainly more complex. But then, the brain is more complex than a container of gas.

Are they different in a way that leads us to suspect they can't be emergent from the brain processes? No.

In fact, ALL the evidence that we have is precisely that all conscious events are, in fact, brain events.

And, frankly, I think that 'qualia' is too vague a term to be useful. Nobody seems to be able to agree exactly what it means.

Sorry, but most of what you said is pure assertion. If in your opinion qualia is vaguely defined it is because of its irreducible immediacy. And no, there is no obvious way to reduce intentionality, what systems are about, to purely physical causes. Sure there are many approaches attempting to do so. Which means there is robust debate in an area you are professing certainty.

So does a quale include the emotional component?

If I look at a piece of red cloth that makes me sad, is there a red quale and a separate quale for the emotion? Or is there only one quale for the whole experience?

How is a quale different than a simple perception of the senses?

What in the world do you mean by 'irreducible immediacy'?

Sorry, but it looks to me that the term 'quale' is designed to confuse the situation, not to enlighten it.

Does a bacterium moving upwards in a chemical gradient have intentionality? Does a plant moving to get more sun have intentionality? Does someone having a reflex action have intentionality? Does a fish pursuing another fish have intentionality?

I think you will find that there is a broad range of behaviors, all rooted in physical processes, that range from clearly not intentional to clearly intentional. There seems to be no clean break and therefor no reason to suspect anything other than physical processes involved.

It looks to me like your assertion that consciousness cannot be explained by the physical aspects of the universe is a much stronger assertion than mine saying that it can. At least mine is based on collected evidence, the history of science, and a bit of cautious investigation.
@polymath257

NS' modus operandi is the God of the Gaps. Because science can't solve (ar present) the hard problem of consciousness, well, "God exists". Why is there something rather than "nothing"? Well, "God exists". To any potentially unanswerable question or problem, well, "God exists".
(November 17, 2022 at 9:41 am)Jehanne Wrote: @polymath257

NS' modus operandi is the God of the Gaps.  Because science can't solve (ar present) the hard problem of consciousness, well, "God exists".  Why is there something rather than "nothing"?  Well, "God exists".  To any potentially unanswerable question or problem, well, "God exists".

And yet, somehow, it is never made clear how a God existing actually explains the phenomena.
(November 17, 2022 at 1:49 pm)polymath257 Wrote:

NS' modus operandi is the God of the Gaps.  Because science can't solve (ar present) the hard problem of consciousness, well, "God exists".  Why is there something rather than "nothing"?  Well, "God exists".  To any potentially unanswerable question or problem, well, "God exists".

And yet, somehow, it is never made clear how a God existing actually explains the phenomena.

He/she/it is hiding from us.
(November 17, 2022 at 1:49 pm)polymath257 Wrote:

"Exists" means a pointer on a device somewhere indicates God.  All we get from believers is, "I know it in my knower."
(November 17, 2022 at 9:55 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: "Exists" means a pointer on a device somewhere indicates God.

Tell me you've never read Plato without saying you've never read Plato.
(November 17, 2022 at 10:32 pm)Belacqua Wrote:
(November 17, 2022 at 9:55 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: "Exists" means a pointer on a device somewhere indicates God.

That the average family in the world has 2.4 children is a valid statistical statement, but there does not exist a family somewhere with 0.4 of a child. Next you'll be telling me wavefunction realism is a thing and we should all be psi-ontologists.

Incredible, because that's pretty much what you do every time you get to babbling about classical thought as an explanation for your various forum turds?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

I've never read the works of Plato.

I've seen the fekker's ideas worked over and presented more times than I can count.

Read 

Not at work.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 826 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 1956 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A 'proof' of God's existence - free will mrj 54 6843 August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 3135 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8530 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 14400 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Berkeley's argument for the existence of God FlatAssembler 130 14700 April 1, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 44525 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  A good argument for God's existence (long but worth it) Mystic 179 34231 October 26, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  What do scientists say about existence? Mariosep 186 51983 July 20, 2017 at 10:59 am