Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 22, 2024, 4:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Absurd GOP
RE: The Absurd GOP
(November 27, 2022 at 7:39 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
(November 27, 2022 at 7:38 pm)Dio Wrote: Advocating legislation being passed as an EO when it couldn't pass Congress seems rather "anti democratic".

Well, depends on whether that congress is representative, but sure, in principle...and?

How is not "representative"? Are you referring to gerrymandering?
That certainly doesn't exhaust the ways a politician can fail in their duty, but it's one way a system can fail it's people, sure. It seems like we have a good working definition of anti democratic going, eh?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:Both parties can be the party of "No".  But kudos are being okay with a dictatorship as long as it's to get over the "opposition party". How about Dems pass law voiding all the Republican seats, that why they can democratically run the country unimpeded.
But right now only one party is. And saying the president is allowed to use the EO when congress refuses to function as intended is hardly advocating dictatorship.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(November 27, 2022 at 7:33 pm)Dio Wrote:
(November 27, 2022 at 7:30 pm)Helios Wrote: 1. Why he changed his mind has no barring on the fact he changed his mind.

2.I didn't even bring up Gillibrand.

3. Or they change it because they changed their mind like any other person changes their mind.

1. I never suggested otherwise.

2. Your link did.

3. Yes, "My opponents have political power and must be stopped." It's a fairly simple and common reason.
Or I changed my mind and it has nothing to do with political power is also a fairly common reason.
"Change was inevitable"

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Whose opponents? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't both of our political parties supposed to be working for..well..us? Pitching us on different paths to reach our common goals, that sort of thing? What would you call it if some political party had made itself into an opponent of the american people, or of american interests? I'm thinking there's a term for that.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 27, 2022 at 7:47 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: That certainly doesn't exhaust the ways a politician can fail in their duty, but it's one way a system can fail it's people, sure.  It seems like we have a good working definition of anti democratic going, eh?

So, for instance, you would agree that Illinois congressional map is "anti democratic", even though it favours Democrats, since it has an F from the Princeton Gerrymander Project?
Sure, and...?
(November 27, 2022 at 7:52 pm)Helios Wrote:
Quote:Both parties can be the party of "No".  But kudos are being okay with a dictatorship as long as it's to get over the "opposition party". How about Dems pass law voiding all the Republican seats, that why they can democratically run the country unimpeded.
But right now only one party is. And saying the president is allowed to use the EO when congress refuses to function as intended is hardly advocating dictatorship.

Yes, advocating for unilateral executive power, especially in regard to legislation, would entail advocating for a dictatorship.
(November 27, 2022 at 8:04 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Sure, and...?

Is the GOP exclusively anti democratic or are Democrats also anti democratic?
Quote:Yes, advocating for unilateral executive power, especially in regard to legislation, would entail advocating for a dictatorship.
No advocating that the president should be allowed to use another legal mechanism to pass legislation when congress has become stagnated by partisanship is not advocating for a dictatorship. It's advocating the government actually gets something done.
"Change was inevitable"

–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So what is GOP's plan for the new wave of newborns? Fake Messiah 47 4797 April 30, 2024 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  2024 GOP hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25 LinuxGal 11 1356 August 20, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Yet Another GOP Dumpster Fire Of A Human Being BrianSoddingBoru4 139 12109 July 23, 2022 at 4:20 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1901 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  What do you think all these GOP senators get in return for brown nosing Trump? A Godzilla fan 15 2110 September 30, 2019 at 11:52 am
Last Post: A Godzilla fan
  The GOP, wtf happened? A Godzilla fan 6 1297 July 21, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  [Serious] What's the point? Trump and the GOP are clearly above the law no matter what you say GODZILLA 21 3020 May 21, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Brian37
  GOP Jesus Minimalist 1 630 November 13, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Okay GOP, now is your time to shine and show how much you really love America GODZILLA 25 3522 July 17, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  So I guess since the GOP is in power now they really don't give a fuck about this now GODZILLA 3 1377 June 29, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist