Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 8:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A simple argument against God
RE: A simple argument against God
(December 9, 2022 at 4:16 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 9, 2022 at 3:56 pm)Lek Wrote: Everything is a characteristic of God.

Bone cancer in children? Foetal alcohol syndrome? Cholera epidemics? Dysentery? Earthquakes,  famines, mudslides that wipe out entire villages? Homeless people freezing to death? Incinerated children in Ukrainian schools?

Boru
What does this have to do with the existence of God? God can't exist be because these things do?
(December 9, 2022 at 4:19 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: A term that applies to everything, means nothing in particular. Not that it matters, Leks god isn't everything, it's a wizard in the sky, same as every other theist. They refuse to acknowledge that because even they know how stupid it sounds. It's a dumb idea forever in search of a justification just one notch less ignorant than what bore it.

-and yet....
Everything is very definable. Everything means ALL. Very simple.
Quote:What does this have to do with the existence of God? God can't exist be because these things do?
Well, a good one can't .... Dodgy
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Quote:Everything is very definable. Everything means ALL. Very simple.
Nope.... Dodgy
"Change was inevitable"

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(December 9, 2022 at 5:21 pm)Helios Wrote:
Quote:Everything is very definable. Everything means ALL. Very simple.
Nope.... Dodgy
OK. I'll change my description to all.
Quote:OK. I'll change my description to all.
Still doesn't help you.... Dodgy
"Change was inevitable"

–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(December 9, 2022 at 5:18 pm)Lek Wrote:
(December 9, 2022 at 4:16 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Bone cancer in children? Foetal alcohol syndrome? Cholera epidemics? Dysentery? Earthquakes,  famines, mudslides that wipe out entire villages? Homeless people freezing to death? Incinerated children in Ukrainian schools?

Boru
What does this have to do with the existence of God?  God can't exist be because these things do?

Well, since ‘everything is a characteristic of God’, surely that includes the things I listed. Do you find God in the swollen belly of a malnourished child? Do you kneel and pray at the maggot-riddled body of a dead dog?

The point is that if God is ‘everything’, then He’s not just love and compassion and glitter-covered unicorns. He’s also hatred and cruelty and sexually abused toddlers.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
“If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever..” -- Woody Allen
(December 9, 2022 at 1:55 pm)Lek Wrote:
(December 9, 2022 at 9:03 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: The burden of proof lies on he who alleges. Religious people should know that I’m perfectly willing to believe in god(s), ghosts, mediums, demons, angels, spirits, channeling, miracles, horoscopes, astrology, psychics, Ouija boards, the supernatural, and anything else for that matter as long as they adhere to one proviso: Prove it! Don’t give me speculation, guesses, hopes, dreams, wishes, desires, beliefs, faith (or appeals to faith), or indoctrinations. Don’t give me one-time-only, non-repeatable, non-testable events. Don’t give me internal alterations in one’s psychology or physiology that can’t be tested observed, or demonstrated, only felt or believed. And don’t give me effects that can’t be clearly related to the supposed cause.

I have no objection to believing in a god as long as proof based upon a rational standard of knowledge is forthcoming. Is that too much to ask? But surely theists can’t expect me to adopt their beliefs on the basis of what has been presented thus far. Every “proof” I’ve heard and every piece of evidence I’ve seen for the existence of god(s) is easily countered by rational evidence and arguments to the contrary. No convincing evidence for the existence of any deity has ever emerged. But I’m more than willing to listen to theistic arguments or view theistic evidence as long as cross-examination is permitted. As conditions now stand, theology rests far more on superstition and faith than upon facts and reason.
I can't force anyone to believe. I enjoy the discussion, but the decision to believe in God or not can only be made by each individual.

That is pure sophistry. One cannot argue with you and I will not waste my time any further.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(December 9, 2022 at 5:20 pm)Lek Wrote:
(December 9, 2022 at 4:19 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: A term that applies to everything, means nothing in particular.  Not that it matters, Leks god isn't everything, it's a wizard in the sky, same as every other theist.  They refuse to acknowledge that because even they know how stupid it sounds. It's a dumb idea forever in search of a justification just one notch less ignorant than what bore it.  

-and yet....
Everything is very definable. Everything means ALL. Very simple.

Gabhopper said, “Sometimes I wish I had a scroll of my entire life, so I could peek at what comes next.”

“Such a scroll exists at the Akashic Library,” Xena revealed. “Within its walls are an endless number of scrolls; each one, when unrolled, as tall as a person, each one inscribed randomly with every possible permutation of the twenty-four Greek letters from alpha to omega.”

“But wouldn’t all but a very small fraction of these scrolls contain nothing but gibberish?”

“Yes, Gabhopper, but the number of scrolls containing meaningful information, although a small fraction of the total scrolls, would still be infinite. Somewhere within the Akashic Library would be written the true story of your life from beginning to end.”

“But how could I ever find it, Xena?”

“Not only that, but how could you ever be sure you had the genuine story of your life, and not one that gets everything correct except that you fall in love with Joxer?”

“So this Akashic Library is useless!”

Xena nodded. “The more information you convey, the less knowledge you convey, and to convey infinite information is to convey no knowledge at all.”

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 9009 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Is my argument against afterlife an equivocation fallacy? FlatAssembler 61 3089 June 20, 2023 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  My Almighty VS your argument against it Won2blv 43 4015 May 5, 2022 at 9:13 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 17812 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
  What is the best counter argument against "What do you lose by believing?" Macoleco 25 1971 May 1, 2021 at 8:05 pm
  The Argument Against Evil-lution no one 19 3668 January 5, 2020 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How to easily defeat any argument for God Tom Fearnley 629 38559 November 22, 2019 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley
  Arguments Against Creator God GrandizerII 77 19381 November 16, 2019 at 9:38 am
  Arguments against existence of God. Mystic 336 81116 December 7, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Rebellion against god purplepurpose 285 39391 March 6, 2018 at 3:09 am
Last Post: Banned