Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 29, 2024, 1:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good exists - a Catholic comments
RE: Good exists - a Catholic comments
(August 21, 2023 at 9:38 pm)The Architect Of Fate Wrote:
Quote:Jesus said he was God. So, as CS Lewis and others said, if he wasn’t God he was a lier or a madman.
Having a false belief about oneself is not a sign of madness nor was he a liar if he truly believed it.

As Mark would have it, Jesus did NOT believe that he was God.

Mark 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

Now if John says he did believe he was God, that's not my problem, that's the believer's problem.
(August 21, 2023 at 10:09 pm)LinuxGal Wrote:
(August 21, 2023 at 9:38 pm)The Architect Of Fate Wrote: Having a false belief about oneself is not a sign of madness nor was he a liar if he truly believed it.

Mark 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

Now if John says he did believe he was God, that's not my problem, that's the believer's problem.

Exactly. Precisely. The divinity of Jesus is different in each gospel. 
In Mark, Jesus "earned" his divine status. 
In Mark, he was a human, and not a pre-existing divine being. He was "raised" to divine status (later). He was not a divine being either pre-existing and not while on Earth. 
One of the theme's in Mark is "the Messianic Secret". He earned divine status and was raised up later. These concepts are Bible 101 in any mainline university Biblical Studies program.
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

Militant Atheist Commie Evolutionist 
(August 21, 2023 at 10:09 pm)LinuxGal Wrote:
(August 21, 2023 at 9:38 pm)The Architect Of Fate Wrote: Having a false belief about oneself is not a sign of madness nor was he a liar if he truly believed it.

Do you really think @Barry will take Mark's word over that of Pope Irrelevant CCLXVI?
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(August 21, 2023 at 5:20 pm)Bucky Ball Wrote:
(August 21, 2023 at 2:55 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burden_of_...hilosophy)

Are you always this ignorant and childish ?
The state of science is where it is. Get over it, L'il Barry.
Obviously you think if you don't have the answer you want, you get to make one up. 
Would you rather have quack scientists lying about where science is ? 
Grow up.

There are no gods.
They don't love (a human emotion) us.
Stop lying to yourself.

Exactly how many "Loaves and Fishes" meals have YOU served to the homeless this past week ?

Burden of Proof :
"When two parties are in a discussion and one makes a claim that the other disputes, the one who makes the claim typically has a burden of proof to justify or substantiate that claim, especially when it challenges a perceived status quo.[1] This is also stated in Hitchens's razor, which declares that "what may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence." Carl Sagan proposed a related criterion – "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" – which is known as the Sagan standard."

BTW, something you were totally wrong about.
After the second temple was destroyed by the Romans around 70 AD, the Jewish Rabbis were talking and writing about how to remake Judaism during the diaspora, in a way that would
make it consistent with no temple. THEY, (not Jesus) came up with "Love God and love your neighbor". It was the concern of the rabbis AT THE END of the First Century.
That fact is one of the reasons why scholars wonder if Jesus existed at all. The preaching of Jesus reflected the concerns of the rabbis at the END of the First Century, not the early 1st Century.
We get you are an amateur, and scholar of nothing, but you have no answer to this. At the end of the 1st Century, the Jewish High Priest required the Expulsion Curses be read at the end of EVERY synagogue service, as recorded in John's Gospel, saying the Way sect of JEWS, (as reported in Acts), were no longer welcome. In the year 400 CE, the Archbishop of Constantinople, St. John Chrysostom, (Istanbul today), told HIS congregation in his Christmas sermon, (which they still have) .. to STOP going to the synagogue. THEY were still Jews. The history of Christian orthodoxy is almost all lies.

FYI, you replied to me, not Barry. No worries, though.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(August 22, 2023 at 12:10 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(August 21, 2023 at 5:20 pm)Bucky Ball Wrote: Are you always this ignorant and childish ?
The state of science is where it is. Get over it, L'il Barry.
Obviously you think if you don't have the answer you want, you get to make one up. 
Would you rather have quack scientists lying about where science is ? 
Grow up.

There are no gods.
They don't love (a human emotion) us.
Stop lying to yourself.

Exactly how many "Loaves and Fishes" meals have YOU served to the homeless this past week ?

Burden of Proof :
"When two parties are in a discussion and one makes a claim that the other disputes, the one who makes the claim typically has a burden of proof to justify or substantiate that claim, especially when it challenges a perceived status quo.[1] This is also stated in Hitchens's razor, which declares that "what may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence." Carl Sagan proposed a related criterion – "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" – which is known as the Sagan standard."

BTW, something you were totally wrong about.
After the second temple was destroyed by the Romans around 70 AD, the Jewish Rabbis were talking and writing about how to remake Judaism during the diaspora, in a way that would
make it consistent with no temple. THEY, (not Jesus) came up with "Love God and love your neighbor". It was the concern of the rabbis AT THE END of the First Century.
That fact is one of the reasons why scholars wonder if Jesus existed at all. The preaching of Jesus reflected the concerns of the rabbis at the END of the First Century, not the early 1st Century.
We get you are an amateur, and scholar of nothing, but you have no answer to this. At the end of the 1st Century, the Jewish High Priest required the Expulsion Curses be read at the end of EVERY synagogue service, as recorded in John's Gospel, saying the Way sect of JEWS, (as reported in Acts), were no longer welcome. In the year 400 CE, the Archbishop of Constantinople, St. John Chrysostom, (Istanbul today), told HIS congregation in his Christmas sermon, (which they still have) .. to STOP going to the synagogue. THEY were still Jews. The history of Christian orthodoxy is almost all lies.

FYI, you replied to me, not Barry. No worries, though.

Sorry. Smile
Quotes here are not easy ... I'm getting better though.
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

(August 22, 2023 at 12:54 am)Ravenshire Wrote: Do you really think @Barry will take Mark's word over that of Pope Irrelevant CCLXVI?

Atheist: "The Bible says there's windows in the sky that open to let it rain."

Believer: "Where?"

Atheist: "Genesis 7:11"

Believer: "No way, it doesn't really mean that."

Atheist: "Okay, but it literally says that."

Believers: "The problem is you people don't believe the Bible."
Interesting.
The last few days, when Barry was here, the number of guests viewing this thread was fluctuating, but much higher then I have ever seen.
12, 17, 28, 34. Today, no Barry. No guests.
Can't be a coincidence. I wonder what they were up to ?
He was clearly not up to this, and in a way his "one trick" question seems weird.

(August 22, 2023 at 10:02 pm)Bucky Ball Wrote: Interesting.
The last few days, when Barry was here, the number of guests viewing this thread was fluctuating, but much higher then I have ever seen.
12, 17, 28, 34. Today, no Barry. No guests.
Can't be a coincidence. I wonder what they were up to ?
He was clearly not up to this, and in a way his "one trick" question seems weird.

He probably invited a bunch of other cathy-lick assholes to watch him "own the athiests" and had to quit in shame after getting his ass handed to him.

Then again, he probably just declared victory seeing as he has no shame.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
RE: God exists - a Catholic comments
(August 20, 2023 at 7:52 pm)Barry Wrote:
(August 20, 2023 at 7:44 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: So, you MAY have created it, and I want to destroy it.

I'm the Anti-Astreja!

Hi Astreja
Tell me how you did it. Start with the Big Bang and work backwards. 
Cheers Barry

You're some fucking idiot.

Idiot.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Does 'Gooder' exist?
Being told you're delusional does not necessarily mean you're mental. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Scrupulosity - a Catholic disorder ? Bucky Ball 2 450 July 27, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Catholic Church against Cesarean section Fake Messiah 24 4726 August 14, 2021 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 2046 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1746 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic Bishops statement on Biden. brewer 9 1048 January 25, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2923 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2491 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  The Catholic Church has a prayer app zebo-the-fat 5 785 January 21, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  German Catholic Priests Abused More Than 3,600 Kids Fake Messiah 17 2534 September 14, 2018 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Far right Catholic group worried about being banned. Jehanne 14 2243 August 24, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire