Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 16, 2024, 8:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science and Theism Doesn't Work out right?
RE: Science and Theism Doesn't Work out right?
Science has done a lot of work in disproving gods, but people then changed gods. Like, in ancient Greece, when someone would explain some natural phenomenon as natural and without any need for divine intervention, they would be sentenced to the crime of impiety.

And many Greek philosophers were accused of impiety. One such guy was Anaxagoras who claimed that the Sun was a fiery rock and not some guy driving his golden carriage across the sky. Because of that, he was sentenced to death for the crime of impiety. But he also explained the cause of the Moon and solar eclipses, which gave Greeks an advantage in battles because they were free to fight instead of refusing to fight because gods were sending an omen.

And that's probably why the Hellenistic religion was declining - because more and more of its aspects were debunked.

And then came Christianity which also persecuted people who debunked its aspects, but it met the same faith when Newton discovered that the universe works on its own merit. But people (that is the intellectuals) became deists - meaning that they, again, changed the god.

And that is why we still see the old-times Christians who are trying to ignore science by creating private Christian schools where they omit certain branches of science, and want to abolish the Department of Education.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(October 12, 2024 at 6:01 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: Science has done a lot of work in disproving gods, but people then changed gods. Like, in ancient Greece, when someone would explain some natural phenomenon as natural and without any need for divine intervention, they would be sentenced to the crime of impiety.

And many Greek philosophers were accused of impiety. One such guy was Anaxagoras who claimed that the Sun was a fiery rock and not some guy driving his golden carriage across the sky. Because of that, he was sentenced to death for the crime of impiety. But he also explained the cause of the Moon and solar eclipses, which gave Greeks an advantage in battles because they were free to fight instead of refusing to fight because gods were sending an omen.

And that's probably why the Hellenistic religion was declining - because more and more of its aspects were debunked.

And then came Christianity which also persecuted people who debunked its aspects, but it met the same faith when Newton discovered that the universe works on its own merit. But people (that is the intellectuals) became deists - meaning that they, again, changed the god.

And that is why we still see the old-times Christians who are trying to ignore science by creating private Christian schools where they omit certain branches of science, and want to abolish the Department of Education.

Actually, Newton believed that God ran the universe, down to the smallest detail: 

Quote:"So then gravity may put the planets into motion, but without the Divine Power it could never put them into such a circulating motion, as they have about the sun".

In fact, a large part of everything Newton wrote was on the subject of theology, not science.  He wasn’t trying to eliminate God from science, but trying to show how God make things work.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
I'm not saying what Newton's motivations were or what he believed in, but it is regarded that his discoveries launched the Age of Enlightenment.

Of course, Newton wasn't in a vacuum, but he continued on the works of Kepler and Copernicus. And also, there was that Glorious Revolution in England which made it safer for freethinkers since it was no longer consumed with religious infighting.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(October 12, 2024 at 7:56 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: I'm not saying what Newton's motivations were or what he believed in, but it is regarded that his discoveries launched the Age of Enlightenment.

Of course, Newton wasn't in a vacuum, but he continued on the works of Kepler and Copernicus. And also, there was that Glorious Revolution in England which made it safer for freethinkers since it was no longer consumed with religious infighting.

All perfectly true, but it doesn’t support the notion that science and theism are incompatible.

And, for the record, Kepler and Copernicus were both deeply religious.

Boru
Science and theism are totally incompatible, for a number of reasons. For one thing, science is about updating previously held understandings and coming to (hopefully) better understandings. Theism just wants everything to stay the same.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(October 12, 2024 at 4:58 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 11, 2024 at 10:50 pm)Paleophyte Wrote: Science relies on empirical examination, so it doesn't speak to the (non)existence of god. On the other hand, specific religious claims are testable. We know the archaeological and societal origins of most gods, and they're a pretty disreputable bunch.

Science and theism are largely antithetical:
Science begins with a question, proposes tests, and examines the evidence.
Religion begins with The Truth, ignores the evidence, prohibits examination, and forbids the question.

(Bold mine)

While true in essence, that's not always the case. There have been plenty of deeply religious scientists - Mendel, Faraday, Boyle, Newton, and so on - who made important advances in scientific knowledge. In many cases, they did so because they believed that learning how things work contributes to the greater glory of God.

Boru

The thing is, not one single one of those scientists made their religious advances because of their religion. In fact Darwin, the scientist christians most love to hate, didn't become agnostic until long after he discovered his theory of evolution, he actually dithered on publishing it for twenty years over his personal religious beliefs and the societal backlash controlled by religion he feared to unleash.

The vast majority of religious scientists, when doing science, will openly leave their religion at the door.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(October 13, 2024 at 6:59 am)Pat Mustard Wrote: The thing is, not one single one of those scientists made their religious advances because of their religion.  In fact Darwin, the scientist christians most love to hate, didn't become agnostic until long after he discovered his theory of evolution, he actually dithered on publishing it for twenty years over his personal religious beliefs and the societal backlash controlled by religion he feared to unleash.

The vast majority of religious scientists, when doing science, will openly leave their religion at the door.

I think it might be more accurate to say that when doing science they don't rely on religious dogma or scripture. But that doesn't mean that they stop being religious. As if they switch it off in the lab. 

If a person believes that mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe, then measuring and quantifying different aspects of the universe is not separate from that person's religion. 

Leonardo da Vinci, to give one example, thought that close observation of fluid dynamics told him about how God works in the world.

Anyway, the Talmud and the Heart Sutra, etc., don't address the same questions that science does.
(October 13, 2024 at 8:11 am)Belacqua Wrote:
(October 13, 2024 at 6:59 am)Pat Mustard Wrote: The thing is, not one single one of those scientists made their religious advances because of their religion.  In fact Darwin, the scientist christians most love to hate, didn't become agnostic until long after he discovered his theory of evolution, he actually dithered on publishing it for twenty years over his personal religious beliefs and the societal backlash controlled by religion he feared to unleash.

I think it might be more accurate to say that when doing science they don't rely on religious dogma or scripture. But that doesn't mean that they stop being religious. As if they switch it off in the lab. 

If a person believes that mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe, then measuring and quantifying different aspects of the universe is not separate from that person's religion. 

Leonardo da Vinci, to give one example, thought that close observation of fluid dynamics told him about how God works in the world.

Anyway, the Talmud and the Heart Sutra, etc., don't address the same questions that science does.

I'm starting to think all those really old scientists weren't all that bright.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
LOL, they weren't. That's histories greatest inside joke. Because our "greatest minds" are still hopped up chimps...and in each and every age they tend to have the same little ticks their communities do.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 13, 2024 at 6:59 am)Pat Mustard Wrote:
(October 12, 2024 at 4:58 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: (Bold mine)

While true in essence, that's not always the case. There have been plenty of deeply religious scientists - Mendel, Faraday, Boyle, Newton, and so on - who made important advances in scientific knowledge. In many cases, they did so because they believed that learning how things work contributes to the greater glory of God.

Boru

The thing is, not one single one of those scientists made their religious advances because of their religion.  In fact Darwin, the scientist christians most love to hate, didn't become agnostic until long after he discovered his theory of evolution, he actually dithered on publishing it for twenty years over his personal religious beliefs and the societal backlash controlled by religion he feared to unleash.

Again, perfectly true, but it doesn’t alter the fact that deeply devoted theists cannot only do good science, but can (and frequently do) attribute their findings to God.

The notion that theism and science are mutually exclusive doesn’t stand up to even the most casual scrutiny.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A 21st Century Ontological Argument: does it work. JJoseph 23 2275 January 9, 2024 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism Simon Moon 25 2857 October 29, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 2371 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 19158 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Photo Popular atheist says universe is not a work of art like a painting Walter99 32 4301 March 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Comparing Theism with Flat-Earthism FlatAssembler 26 2844 December 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 6882 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Protection Against the Wiles of Theism Rhondazvous 9 1769 April 7, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5978 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 28093 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule