Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 16, 2024, 10:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science and Theism Doesn't Work out right?
RE: Science and Theism Doesn't Work out right?
(October 13, 2024 at 8:22 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(October 13, 2024 at 8:11 am)Belacqua Wrote: I think it might be more accurate to say that when doing science they don't rely on religious dogma or scripture. But that doesn't mean that they stop being religious. As if they switch it off in the lab. 

If a person believes that mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe, then measuring and quantifying different aspects of the universe is not separate from that person's religion. 

Leonardo da Vinci, to give one example, thought that close observation of fluid dynamics told him about how God works in the world.

Anyway, the Talmud and the Heart Sutra, etc., don't address the same questions that science does.

I'm starting to think all those really old scientists weren't all that bright.

It’s not just ‘really old scientists’. There are plenty of devout believers alive right now who are doing legitimate science.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
Creationism is the illegitimate child of science and theism.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(October 13, 2024 at 11:10 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The notion that theism and science are mutually exclusive doesn’t stand up to even the most casual scrutiny.

Boru

Might be mostly in the framing, though, as the question of whether theism and science are compatible may not be the same question as whether or not scientists can be theists.  No more than the question is murder and decency compatible is some comment on whether or not a serial killer can love puppies and be well regarded by their community.

If the question is whether or not a personal and intervening deity is compatible with any of the contents of scientific discovery it's a pretty solid and very plain no.  The whole thing is argued over as an abstraction when it isn't.  The wizard in the sky made no mudmen or ribwomen.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 13, 2024 at 8:22 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(October 13, 2024 at 8:11 am)Belacqua Wrote: I think it might be more accurate to say that when doing science they don't rely on religious dogma or scripture. But that doesn't mean that they stop being religious. As if they switch it off in the lab. 

If a person believes that mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe, then measuring and quantifying different aspects of the universe is not separate from that person's religion. 

Leonardo da Vinci, to give one example, thought that close observation of fluid dynamics told him about how God works in the world.

Anyway, the Talmud and the Heart Sutra, etc., don't address the same questions that science does.

I'm starting to think all those really old scientists weren't all that bright.

This would require you to have a negative IQ score.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(October 12, 2024 at 8:17 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: All perfectly true, but it doesn’t support the notion that science and theism are incompatible.

And, for the record, Kepler and Copernicus were both deeply religious.

Boru

It definitely shows that God is easily disproved that even theists can do it, this is why god changes. If some ancient Greek took a telescope and looked in the night sky, he would see that the Milky Way was not really milk from Hera's tit but a bunch of stars. Thus, he would debunk that story/ god whether he was an atheist or not. And that's why Galileo was already arguing for a different approach to theism and god himself, and he ultimately won.

There is an interesting 45-minute documentary on YouTube about how these scientists set out to explore the world in medieval times in search of evidence for god, only to change god on the way, but in reality, kill the Christian god. So at the 22th minute, the narrator says:
It was the age of enlightened democracy, freedom, and science that replaced religion at the heart of society.

https://youtu.be/UcZ44kQphlo?si=VawMyL8vQD9C_iv_

So, personal beliefs was not something I was talking about. I mean some scientists were devoted Nazis, but does this mean that Nazism is incompatible with science? The answer is ultimately "no" because ideology is not compatible with science (Nazis were dismissive of what they called "Jewish science" and "English science" etc.)

Or Newton's beliefs in God did put some restrictions on his work - there were some thresholds he would not cross.

Indeed, even scientists sometimes believe in bonkers stuff. Like Nikola Tesla, who was devoutly insane and believed if he touched round things (e.g. pearls), he would die or get sick. Does this mean that being insane is not incompatible with science?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(October 13, 2024 at 11:17 am)Silver Wrote: Creationism is the illegitimate child of science and theism.

And it fails at both.
(October 12, 2024 at 4:58 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 11, 2024 at 10:50 pm)Paleophyte Wrote: Science relies on empirical examination, so it doesn't speak to the (non)existence of god. On the other hand, specific religious claims are testable. We know the archaeological and societal origins of most gods, and they're a pretty disreputable bunch.

Science and theism are largely antithetical:
Science begins with a question, proposes tests, and examines the evidence.
Religion begins with The Truth, ignores the evidence, prohibits examination, and forbids the question.

(Bold mine)

While true in essence, that's not always the case. There have been plenty of deeply religious scientists - Mendel, Faraday, Boyle, Newton, and so on - who made important advances in scientific knowledge. In many cases, they did so because they believed that learning how things work contributes to the greater glory of God.

Boru

True, and I've known a few good scientists who were devout as well. It just goes to show that humans are good at compartmentalizing. It's probably more accurate to say that they were brilliant scientists in spite of religion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A 21st Century Ontological Argument: does it work. JJoseph 23 2276 January 9, 2024 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism Simon Moon 25 2857 October 29, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 2371 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 19161 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Photo Popular atheist says universe is not a work of art like a painting Walter99 32 4301 March 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Comparing Theism with Flat-Earthism FlatAssembler 26 2844 December 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 6882 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Protection Against the Wiles of Theism Rhondazvous 9 1769 April 7, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5981 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 28095 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule