Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 10:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Buddhism
RE: Thoughts on Buddhism
(January 31, 2012 at 9:28 pm)Abracadabra Wrote: Ironically though, Bgood was actually RIGHT!

He explained that bad karma (i.e. bad actions or speech) can only bring forth the same. And that's precisely what's happening here. He unfortunately struck out in an act of frustration, and that "karma" (that action) is now coming back at him because he "planted it".

We sow what we reap.

It's a prefect example of karma in action.

And that's the very same principle that Jesus taught as well. Jesus was clearly a Buddhist. He taught that what we sow so shall we reap. That's the Buddhist ideal of Karma. Nothing new there.

And here we are witnessing it in action.

Aha! I bet you never imagined that was my premeditated intention! My teaching apparently HAS been quite effective without many of you even realizing it. Skeptics ought not to underestimate the insightful cleverness and ingenuity of a boddhisattva. Devil

My closing statement said: If you don't study Buddhism, don't meditate, and don't believe in anything but in how much your meaningless life sucks, then don't say you know what Buddha is, because it just makes you look stupid and shallow.

I mention that anyone far from practicing and reading up on the buddhadharma believes that their life is meaningless and sucks. I say this from my own past experience and moments where I think everyone is apt to feel this way at some point in their lives as well. Pain and suffering is universal, and the gloomy attitude of ingratitude and indifference in modern society has a contagious effect in which we are all innocently suseptable to. Meaninglessness is a painful stigma for many atheists as well as for many religious types as well. It is a cultural and psychological reality. Look at the booming industry of anti depressent drugs and counseling that is needed for many young people nowadays. This could be a symptom of something much larger than just one's brain chemistry or genetics.

As far as some people sounding stupid and shallow..well I'm sure that will always exist not matter where I go, even if I were I in Tibet. I am never frustrated or offended by any remarks on this website (which is a really great site BTW). Actually being called a douchebag, blowhard, or anything worse is kind of funny. It keeps my self righteous and over zealous ego in check! lol But I sometimes like to set a little fire online to see how others react. No big surprises, except for Abracadabra and Passionatefool seem a bit more open and mature in considering Buddha's ancient and timeless wisdom. So game on fellas! Take your best shot! lol Yet seriously, I wish you all liberation from attachment, aversion and delusion and to savor your own little taste of nirvana, in whatever, whereever, or whomever you may find it in your lives. Big Grin

You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.

Buddha FSM Grin

(February 1, 2012 at 12:26 am)Bgood Wrote: Aha! I bet you never imagined that was my premeditated intention! My teaching apparently HAS been quite effective without many of you even realizing it. Skeptics ought not to underestimate the insightful cleverness and ingenuity of a boddhisattva. Devil

Oh brother.

And here I thought Buddhism was all about letting go of the ego.

Maybe it's changed since I last studied it.
(February 1, 2012 at 1:15 am)Abracadabra Wrote:
(February 1, 2012 at 12:26 am)Bgood Wrote: Aha! I bet you never imagined that was my premeditated intention! My teaching apparently HAS been quite effective without many of you even realizing it. Skeptics ought not to underestimate the insightful cleverness and ingenuity of a boddhisattva. Devil

Oh brother.

And here I thought Buddhism was all about letting go of the ego.

Maybe it's changed since I last studied it.

Well, the ancient teachings definitely haven't changed that much Abra, it is still about letting go of the ego, but it doesn't say anything about letting go your sense of humor! Lighten up bro! What would a Wiccan do?

Perhaps I should mention that I am quite a skilled chess player, which taught me to always be several moves ahead of the most predictable opponents. The same applies to debate. I know how most atheists are predisposed to cynicism and doubt, and tend to only dwell in left brain, analytic thought. In my ego, in my critque of their blindness, I am a mirror of themselves. Whether they learn this revelation or not, is up to their own finite working half of their mind. But I cynically doubt they will, they pride themselves too much on intellect, not heart. HaHa what a parody! JOKERS WILD
You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.

Buddha FSM Grin

(February 1, 2012 at 2:14 am)Bgood Wrote: Well, the ancient teachings definitely haven't changed that much Abra, it is still about letting go of the ego, but it doesn't say anything about letting go your sense of humor! Lighten up bro! What would a Wiccan do?

Well for one thing Wiccans don't become Bodhisattvas.

If you stop and think about it a Bodhisattva in Buddhism really isn't all that much different from an Evangelist in Christianity. It's merely a person who believes that they know more about God and Spiritual than the next guy.

That very mentality right there is actually what causes people to find "religious zealots" to be so disgusting.

I mean, the idea of being a Bodhisattva (or an Evangelist) is clearly a lofty idea because the point is to supposedly help someone else reach a state of salvation or enlightenment. But like Jesus taught (who I believe was indeed a Buddhist Bodhisattva), it's important to remove the log from your own eye before you attempt to remove the spec from your brother's eye.

So be cautious about becoming too high on viewing yourself as a Bodhisattva or "Teacher of others".

And like I say, a Wiccan wouldn't do that. At least not based on Wicca. That's not to say that their aren't obnoxious Wiccans around too. But there is no concept in Wicca of becoming a Bodhisattva or an Evangelist trying to "save" everyone else from spiritual blindness.

So no, a Wiccan wouldn't do anything along those lines unless a request was first made for spiritual knowledge. Only then would the knowledge be offered.

Quote:Perhaps I should mention that I am quite a skilled chess player, which taught me to always be several moves ahead of the most predictable opponents. The same applies to debate. I know how most atheists are predisposed to cynicism and doubt, and tend to only dwell in left brain, analytic thought. In my ego, in my critque of their blindness, I am a mirror of themselves. Whether they learn this revelation or not, is up to their own finite working half of their mind. But I cynically doubt they will, they pride themselves too much on intellect, not heart. HaHa what a parody! JOKERS WILD

Well with all due respect, I personally don't buy it. I think you were just being rude due to frustration. Frustration I don't blame you for having.

One thing for sure is that you most certainly didn't "teach" anyone a lesson via your methods, so if you're deluding yourself in that regard then you better go back to square one and start over.

Buddhism is filled with much wisdom, but like other religions it can be fodder for the ego too. Especially if you get it in your head that you are "enlightened" whilst everyone else is in the dark. That's the mentality of a Christian Evangelist. It's the same crap wrapped up in a Buddhist package.

There's nothing more pathetic than an egotistical Buddhist. That's the the epitome of irony. If you're going to be egotistical about religion you may as well become a Christian. The Christians have already totally destroyed all respect for their religion anyway so you can't do much harm there.

But to bring Buddhism down to that level is pretty sad.

It seems outdated and superstitious because it is. This shouldn't really be a stumbling block to your belief, but you should be able to acknowledge that very fundamental aspect of the object of your beliefs. Psychology deals with "deep psychological functions"..Buddhism is a religion. I love the added mystifying of consciousness. We understand little enough already, no need to attach it to magic. I haven't "judged" buddhism, I've made a dry statement of fact. Karma (along with many other portions of buddhism) is a force of magic, Nirvana is a magical realm.

Reincarnation is not hard to swallow, it is a magical force that exists in fairy tales, not reality. Karma is not a simple mechanism of life, it is magic, and there is no evidence that magic is a mechanism of life at all, simple or otherwise. In fact, magic does not exist. The effects of alcohol on an alcoholic's body have nothing to do with Karma and everything to do with biology and toxicology. Seriously, lol. Responsibility and decision-making relate to responsibility and decision making, karma could be redefined to address these things (and clearly you've done so), but why? Foresight and consequence are in a similar situation, and similarly could be and have been included in your redefinition of karma. Anything to avoid the magic right? You're a semi-competent salesman, kudos. So what insight does Karma bring us in and of itself? Can you make a prediction, can you propose a decision-making opportunity, list a set of consequences, or describe ones personal responsibility by reference to Karma alone and no other (more mundane) bodies of knowledge? I think the word Karma is effectively meaningless, robbed of it's characteristics by further investigation into the respective subjects. I think it's used as a one word platitude.

I'm not alone? No, clearly not, unless the majority of the world converted to Buddhism while I slept. You make comments about power and verity which you cannot demonstrate. This is not intimidating or convincing, but comical. My ego and ignorance are two subjects you're probably unqualified to comment upon. Ah, there it is, didn't like the taste in your mouth so you backpedaled out to the "we're all ignorant". Platitudes, platitudes, platitudes. You couldn't even stick to your own explanations could you, since you decided to close this with the notion of my karma coming back to bite me in the ass? What kind of sensory package is karma equipped with, that it can track and follow me through space and time...delivering just rewards at some later date? Superstitious gibberish.

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 1, 2012 at 5:31 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Reincarnation is not hard to swallow, it is a magical force that exists in fairy tales, not reality. Karma is not a simple mechanism of life, it is magic, and there is no evidence that magic is a mechanism of life at all, simple or otherwise. In fact, magic does not exist.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but in light of all we know from scientific observation, experiment, and evidence,... "Magic" most certainly does exist.

According to science (and our precious logic as well), nothing can appear out of nothingness. Yet we exist. The universe exists. Therefore the very existence of the universe itself is indeed a "magical" event.

Thus we have hard-core scientific observational evidence that "magic" does indeed exist.

Moreover, the very workings of the quantum world appear to be "magical" to us in precisely this same way. No human being yet has been able to comprehend or explain quantum entanglement, etc. For every scientist alive today this scientifically observed phenomena of our universe defies logic and explanation. As far as we can tell it's "magic".

Where does science ever claim that "magic" can't exist or doesn't exist?

Where does science ever claim to even begin to know the deepest mysteries of the universe?

You assertion that "Magic does not exist", is nothing more than a pure faith-based belief on your part. Moreover, as I've already stated, the mere fact that anything exists at all, is clear evidence against your belief that magic does not exist.

The fact that anything exists at all, is already proof of "magic".

So we have tangible proof that magic exists everyday that we exist.

To claim that "magic" does not exist is basically absurd.

Christian - A moron who believes that an all-benevolent God can simultaneously be a hateful jealous male-chauvinistic pig.
Wiccan - The epitome of cerebral evolution having mastered the magical powers of the universe and is in eternal harmony with the mind of God.
Atheist - An ill-defined term that means something different to everyone who uses it.
~~~~~
Luke 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
Clearly Jesus (a fictitious character or otherwise) will forgive people if they merely know not what they do
For the Bible Tells us so!
Riiiiiight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs
Trying to update my sig ...
(February 1, 2012 at 9:56 pm)Epimethean Wrote: Riiiiiight:

Sorry, I don't have the bandwidth available to watch a video right now.

But it really doesn't matter what it contains. The fact is that science hasn't truly explained anything in terms of how the universe came to be. Even the Big Bang and Inflation theories are nothing more than observations of what happened. But they don't explain why or how it came to happen in the first place.

In fact, that's all science can ever amount to - an explanation of what's happening. Science is truly nothing more than an observation of what's happening, and that's all that it is. By it's very nature it can never say anything beyond that. It simply isn't geared to saying things beyond what it can be observed. In fact, even when scientific theories predict things, those things are considered to be "science" unless they can be observed.

So science amounts to nothing more than an explanation of what's already happening. That's nowhere near an explanation of how things came to be in the first place.

So science is nothing more than a detailed description of how 'magic' actually works.

As Stephen Hawking once put it, "Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe?"

Unlike radical lay atheists, the real scientists fully understand that science is really nothing more than a quantitative description of "magic".

Magic clearly exists and scientists has no clue why.

Science hasn't answered the mystery of the universe. Any atheist who believes otherwise is only pulling the wool over their own eyes. They aren't fooling anyone else.

Science itself in no way supports "atheism". Science simply has NO CLUE.

The myth that science actual "explains" anything foundational about the existence of the world is nothing more than atheistic gobbledygook. It has no ground to stand on at all.

All science does is explain what we observe. It has no clue how the universe magically appeared in the first place or from whence it came.

To try to claim otherwise is a farce.

The fact that anything exist at all is magic for sure.

There is nothing in science that can explain how anything can exist at all really. Not without at least relying on the premise that "Quantum Fields" magically existed FIRST, complete with all thier laws and characteristic behaviors.

So to claim that "scientifically" there is no such thing as magic is ludicrous.

Such a claim is utterly hilarious. ROFLOL

Science simply isn't in a position to make any such claim.
Christian - A moron who believes that an all-benevolent God can simultaneously be a hateful jealous male-chauvinistic pig.
Wiccan - The epitome of cerebral evolution having mastered the magical powers of the universe and is in eternal harmony with the mind of God.
Atheist - An ill-defined term that means something different to everyone who uses it.
~~~~~
Luke 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
Clearly Jesus (a fictitious character or otherwise) will forgive people if they merely know not what they do
For the Bible Tells us so!
Quote:According to science (and our precious logic as well), nothing can appear out of nothingness. Yet we exist. The universe exists. Therefore the very existence of the universe itself is indeed a "magical" event.

Argument from ignorance. Science claims it is currently UNKNOWN what conditions were like before the big bang.

That is a far cry from "nothing"
Another one of the "if you can't prove it didn't, then it must have" crew. Doesn't matter what flavor, wicca, buddhist, xtian, muslim: They're all sold on the kool-aid.
Trying to update my sig ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird facts about Buddhism no one talks about! curiosne 12 3855 November 27, 2017 at 2:48 am
Last Post: chorlton
  Buddhism! SisterAgatha 25 4584 November 20, 2017 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: curiosne
  Another reason Buddhism doesn't get a pass. Brian37 141 21143 May 20, 2016 at 8:27 am
Last Post: EuphoricAtheist
Question Is Atheism a religion as say...Theravada Buddhism? KichigaiNeko 18 13416 February 19, 2010 at 3:24 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko