Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 1:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abstaining from Vaccination should NOT be a right
RE: Abstaining from Vaccination should NOT be a right
(February 25, 2012 at 6:22 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(February 25, 2012 at 6:14 pm)Melanbee Wrote: Sit still how?I am perfectly aware of how diseases/viruses and bacteria's are transmitted. If you're saying people should be vaccinated to prevent transmission of the disease, then by default if you're vaccinated you prevented transmission. Correct? So why does it matter to you if someone who is not vaccinated exposes themselves to a disease? I am just curious as to what your rationale is.

Sitting still biologically speaking. Lets say you vaccinate for a specific strain of a specific pathogen (which is what we do). Group A gets vaccinated, group B does not. Group b is now a testing ground for that pathogen, allowing it the time and resources required to potentially overcome whatever defense we've established against it (and it has to, adapt or die). We're back to square one. Or, we can leverage an ounce of common sense and take the twenty seconds and pin-prick we get by going the route of complete vaccination. Smallpox being a great example. It is the only infectious disease that we have ever been able to lay claim to eradication from, and this was not achieved by willy nilly, "come in if you like" vaccination programs. Still, we're terrified of modified strains of smallpox being weaponized. We're terrified of this because it is terrifying and easily within the realm of probability, (perhaps even eventuality). When we talk vaccination we're talking about an attempt to eradicate something that has been preying upon us, successfully, for hundreds of thousands of years at the very least. So my vaccinations will protect me, fantastic, but how far down the line are we going to have to reinvent the smallpox vaccine because some complete nutjob felt they had an inalienable right to say no to public health policy?

I like where you went with this. Now this argument I can understand and even get on board with. We have seen this happen with MRSA and VRSA...a virus will always figure out a way to grow stronger and mutate to such a degree that the current treatment of choice is no longer effective.
Your smallpox example...absolutely true. So, which of our current diseases are causing an outbreak in the same fashion that smallpox did? I haven't seen anything within the past few weeks from the CDC but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.
[Image: Melanbee.png]
Just be smart doesn't cut it Shell. Smart people (those who wash their hands, cook their food properly, follow the rules) get sick too. Viruses do evolve outside of us, but evolving within our population gives them a leg up on infecting us over other species. Mel hasn't caught rubella because she is vaccinated, and most of the people she works with are vaccinated, and we haven't seen it reinvent itself as a hardier, more resistant strain. That doesn't mean it can't or won't. We have every reason to believe that it can and will. That's exactly why we worry about developed resistance to countermeasures (and how much and how often those countermeasures are used...and why punctuated, abrupt eradication while we have it pinned down is always preferred).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:Hello 5thHorseman....what's up with all the eeeeeeeeeeeeee's?
The flu is a problem for everyone. It kills a lot of people. Our immunocompromised is a high risk for dying if they contract the flu. Sadly, it does not care which part of the world you live in.

The eeeeee's are because I can. No other reason Big Grin

After what you have just stated, why have you not immunised yourself or children? Forgive me if you have already answered this.
(February 25, 2012 at 6:32 pm)5thHorseman Wrote:
Quote:Hello 5thHorseman....what's up with all the eeeeeeeeeeeeee's?
The flu is a problem for everyone. It kills a lot of people. Our immunocompromised is a high risk for dying if they contract the flu. Sadly, it does not care which part of the world you live in.

The eeeeee's are because I can. No other reason Big Grin

After what you have just stated, why have you not immunised yourself or children? Forgive me if you have already answered this.

I immunize my children for everything except Influenza. That vaccination is just plain silly.
I have previously immunized myself and for medical reasons my doctor and I have decided (against my employers wishes) that I would not be receiving any vaccinations for the time being. That does not mean I won't continue to immunize once I feel it is safe to do so. A lot of people do not recognize that some vaccinations are live viruses and you are actually injecting yourself with a virus that your body has to fight off. Our bodies develop antibodies to it off...and if we are successful in the fight we are now immune. Hence, why if you have had the chicken pox you do not need to be vaccinated.
(February 25, 2012 at 6:29 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Just be smart doesn't cut it Shell.

Be smart has to cut it. You can't be consistent and be pro-choice, pro forced vaccinations. Your body is your responsibility. Yes, if you don't like it, hide in your house. Plenty of people do that.

Quote:Smart people (those who wash their hands, cook their food properly, follow the rules) get sick too.

They sure do. That's fucking life. Yes, we should do what we can when we can. Should we make other people do that too? Hell, no.

Quote:Viruses do evolve outside of us, but evolving within our population gives them a leg up on infecting us over other species.

Vaccinations give them a leg up on mutating. Guaranteed way to make something more infectious and dangerous, make it harder to contract it.

Quote:Mel hasn't caught rubella because she is vaccinated, and most of the people she works with are vaccinated, and we haven't seen it reinvent itself as a hardier, more resistant strain. That doesn't mean it can't or won't.

Yeah, and when it does, we'll have to come up with another vaccine. This is life. So, the fact that viruses evolve gives you the right to force a needle into someone else? No, it doesn't.

Quote:We have every reason to believe that it can and will. That's exactly why we worry about developed resistance to countermeasures (and how much and how often those countermeasures are used...and why punctuated, abrupt eradication while we have it pinned down is always preferred).

I won't argue about any of that. I will argue with people forcing other people to take vaccines. The bottom line is that vaccines can be dangerous too. If you do not allow people to make informed decisions, you are dealing with those very few individuals who are infected rather than vaccinated when you stick them with that needle. Fuck that.

Mel beat me to it.
(February 25, 2012 at 6:29 pm)Melanbee Wrote: I like where you went with this. Now this argument I can understand and even get on board with. We have seen this happen with MRSA and VRSA...a virus will always figure out a way to grow stronger and mutate to such a degree that the current treatment of choice is no longer effective.
Your smallpox example...absolutely true. So, which of our current diseases are causing an outbreak in the same fashion that smallpox did? I haven't seen anything within the past few weeks from the CDC but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

Well, on the CDC's MMWR today there is a summary of 2008 right behind the front page nod to the increased risk and incidence of influenza for pregnant women.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/wk/mm5754.pdf
Here's a quick excerpt...notifiable infectious diseases for 2008.

The field is wide open for the source of our next big epidemic.
( Plague, really? Fuck me. :hangs head: Notice, btw, that smallpox is on there, even after all of our efforts. Wonder how that happens? )

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Both the CDC and the WHO agree that the first line of defense is hand hygiene. Thinking Vaccinations are helpful but not as effective as hygiene.
(February 25, 2012 at 6:39 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(February 25, 2012 at 6:29 pm)Melanbee Wrote: I like where you went with this. Now this argument I can understand and even get on board with. We have seen this happen with MRSA and VRSA...a virus will always figure out a way to grow stronger and mutate to such a degree that the current treatment of choice is no longer effective.

Well, on the CDC's MMWR today there is a summary of 2008 right behind the front page nod to the increased risk and incidence of influenza for pregnant women.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/wk/mm5754.pdf
Here's a quick excerpt...infectious diseases of note for 2008.

The field is wide open for the source of our next big epidemic.
( Plague, really? Fuck me. :hangs head: )

I'm rolling my eyes. This is natures way of controlling our population. I'm sorry but...it's just true.
(February 25, 2012 at 6:41 pm)Melanbee Wrote: Both the CDC and the WHO agree that the first line of defense is hand hygiene. Thinking Vaccinations are helpful but not as effective as hygiene.

Ha! Take that! Tongue
This requires looking after my hygiene.. unacceptable!

Jab me doc!
Excuse me for arguing that we shouldn't just roll over because mother nature is trying to off us. Or for mentioning that mother nature absolutely will punish you for my bad choices, and vice versa.

Quote:Be smart has to cut it. You can't be consistent and be pro-choice, pro forced vaccinations. Your body is your responsibility. Yes, if you don't like it, hide in your house. Plenty of people do that.
Or we could vaccinate.

Quote:They sure do. That's fucking life. Yes, we should do what we can when we can. Should we make other people do that too? Hell, no.
What we can when we can? Like vaccinating?

Quote:Vaccinations give them a leg up on mutating. Guaranteed way to make something more infectious and dangerous, make it harder to contract it.

Absolutely, unless you kill it entirely by way of massive campaigns of vaccination.

Quote:Yeah, and when it does, we'll have to come up with another vaccine. This is life. So, the fact that viruses evolve gives you the right to force a needle into someone else? No, it doesn't.
Or we could just kill it by way of massive campaigns of vaccination. And no Shell, that a virus may evolve does not give us any such right. That we could prick a prick with a needle one time and potentially forestall or avoid massive loss of life does.

Quote:I won't argue about any of that. I will argue with people forcing other people to take vaccines. The bottom line is that vaccines can be dangerous too. If you do not allow people to make informed decisions, you are dealing with those very few individuals who are infected rather than vaccinated when you stick them with that needle. Fuck that.

Mel beat me to it.

Yet we mandate what people can and can't do (even with regards to their own bodies) especially when it concerns others all the time. This is different how?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 8350 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  High percent of republicans refusing covid vaccination brewer 36 3925 March 24, 2021 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Incels and THOTs are left wingers, not right wingers. Ismir 24 2519 November 4, 2018 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Should not vaccinating your child be a criminal offence? Coveny 32 5811 December 3, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Friends Across the Pond: Why You Should Not Give Up On America Rhondazvous 26 4321 November 11, 2016 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Hillary should not have immediately offered the disgraced DNC chair a job. Whateverist 12 1886 July 30, 2016 at 2:51 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  The US should not intervene in Ukraine! sven 82 14182 April 16, 2014 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Not everything should be private Dragonetti 0 923 May 6, 2013 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Dragonetti