Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 6:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The trinity
RE: The trinity
Uh, no, but keep drinking the koolaid.
Trying to update my sig ...
(June 5, 2012 at 1:27 am)Drich Wrote:
(June 5, 2012 at 12:07 am)Epimethean Wrote: The bible is the best textbook bullseye for criticism ever written.

If it weren't then all would be forced to believe. Which kinda defeats the purpose of the choice we are to make in this life.

So the bible's mostly shit because god doesn't want us to believe without any thought, yet condemns us if we don't believe because the bible is so shitty? You really believe that this petty schizoid maniac is your supreme being?
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
If there were no room for doubt, then how could faith exist? If their were no doubt then belief would be a matter or the result of a work. Thus spawing a legalistic form of worship where your salvation is based completely on your ablity to comperhend all that God has provided. In short only some of the 'smart' people would be able to goto heaven simply because they were given the ablity to reason it out.

As it is all one needs to find God is the faith the size of a mustard seed, and God will take that person by the hand and heart, show him/her what they need to see inorder to foster and maintain belief for the sum total of their lives. Making salvation a gift from God to all of those who believe.
If your god were worth his fish sauce, free will wouldn't be necessary at all. It is fun to see you get after the propaganda for the omnimpotent sky daddy, however.
(June 4, 2012 at 11:37 pm)Drich Wrote:
(June 4, 2012 at 9:11 pm)RaphielDrake Wrote: Theres a problem here.
"Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, 'I am God's Son'? Do not believe me unless I do what my Father does. But if I do it, even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father. (John 10:36-38)"
Gods son. Not part of God, not a member of God. Gods son. He refers to God as a seperate entity, a being. God is refered in this way in many, many passages. Now if you were trying to argue that God and Jesus were seperate entities and the whole Trinity thing was some type of symbolism you might be able to get away with that. The fact of the matter is theres no evidence in the Bible that God is some type of divine organization. At almost every turn it is refered to as a singular being. Unless you were willing to refute these passages, which would make up quite a sizable chunk of the Bible, you cannot claim this to be anything other than your unproven theory on your unproven beliefs.

Answered in verse 30. You guys love to pick and choose the bible apart and have made very compelling arguments in the tiny little corners of the bible you focus on. However your arguments come completely unraveled when placed in context. Try reading your passages in a context that include verse 30.
They're not "little corners" you patronising, grossly misinformed little man. The references to God as a singular individual undeniably make up the bulk of the Bible.
John 10:30, New International Version "I and the Father are one."
Explain the evidence you drew upon to translate this into "I and the Father are in a special organization called God" as opposed to some type of poetic symbolism.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(June 5, 2012 at 8:47 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: Explain the evidence you drew upon to translate this into "I and the Father are in a special organization called God" as opposed to some type of poetic symbolism.

The ad hoc hypothesis is definitely one of our favorite fallacies to employ, to paraphrase your signature epigraph.

When you make up one to explain away contrary evidence of come up with a more palatable theology, you don't need any evidence. You're just making shit up.
"You don't need facts when you got Jesus." -Pastor Deacon Fred, Landover Baptist Church

™: True Christian is a Trademark of the Landover Baptist Church. I have no affiliation with this fine group of True Christians ™ because I can't afford their tithing requirements but would like to be. Maybe someday the Lord will bless me with enough riches that I am able to. 

And for the lovers of Poe, here's your winking smiley:  Wink
And you can't spell "shit" without sh, so the bible gets to be the greatest secret ever!
(June 5, 2012 at 9:04 am)YahwehIsTheWay Wrote:
(June 5, 2012 at 8:47 am)RaphielDrake Wrote: Explain the evidence you drew upon to translate this into "I and the Father are in a special organization called God" as opposed to some type of poetic symbolism.

The ad hoc hypothesis is definitely one of our favorite fallacies to employ, to paraphrase your signature epigraph.

When you make up one to explain away contrary evidence of come up with a more palatable theology, you don't need any evidence. You're just making shit up.

*I'm* making shit up now am I? I'm just quoting a common interpretation of that passage. The fact of the matter is there is no indication in the Bible at any point that "God" is a divine organization as opposed to a singular being or a Trinity. If you don't consider conjuring up that unfounded explaination to be "making shit up" then you've got a very skewed perspective on what that is.
Third Best Christian? Is that meant to be ironic? What happened to the First and the Second? They couldn't make it because they're both in brain dead comas?
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(June 5, 2012 at 9:17 am)RaphielDrake Wrote:
(June 5, 2012 at 9:04 am)YahwehIsTheWay Wrote: The ad hoc hypothesis is definitely one of our favorite fallacies to employ, to paraphrase your signature epigraph.

*I'm* making shit up now am I? I'm just quoting a common interpretation of that passage. The fact of the matter is there is no indication in the Bible at any point that "God" is a divine organization as opposed to a singular being or a Trinity. If you don't consider conjuring up that unfounded explaination to be "making shit up" then you've got a very skewed perspective on what that is.
Third Best Christian? Is that meant to be ironic? What happened to the First and the Second? They couldn't make it because they're both in brain dead comas?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. When I said "you're", I was speaking as in "when you do this (use the ad hoc as a believer) you're just..." See also my link for further explanation.

I should have said "we're". Again, sorry for the confusion.

And to answer, Mrs. Betty Bowers is America's Best Christian ™. Pastor Deacon Fred is 2nd. I'm vying for third place. I can't compete with them. Smile
"You don't need facts when you got Jesus." -Pastor Deacon Fred, Landover Baptist Church

™: True Christian is a Trademark of the Landover Baptist Church. I have no affiliation with this fine group of True Christians ™ because I can't afford their tithing requirements but would like to be. Maybe someday the Lord will bless me with enough riches that I am able to. 

And for the lovers of Poe, here's your winking smiley:  Wink
The best christians always have good inferiority complexes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] The Trinity zwanzig 127 9586 January 23, 2021 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Refuting trinity. Mystic 35 6024 April 8, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  The Trinity Doctrine: Help me out, Christians GrandizerII 169 21175 February 9, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The Trinity and Mary vorlon13 52 15542 May 30, 2017 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Lek
  10 apologist mistakes about trinity Mystic 21 4531 April 2, 2016 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: athrock
  Where Did The Trinity Teaching Come From? Alter2Ego 13 4851 March 17, 2014 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Trinity old man 133 44037 September 19, 2013 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Where Did the Trinity Teaching Come From? Alter2Ego 80 35238 June 6, 2012 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: parabola
  The trinity. objectivitees 14 3928 October 21, 2011 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Trinity Nonsense DeistPaladin 23 18336 June 21, 2011 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist