Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The trinity.
The trinity.
A member on another thread, in an attempt to derail the line of reasoning I was employing, asked me to explain the trinity in a way that was not an inherent self-contradicting formulation. His unstated claim was essentially, that the concept was not explainable, and therefore since it was part and parcel of of my religion, my religion was therefore false, in turn nullifying the particular argument I was making in part, as it was based upon presuppositions contained by the whole.

Well, for the few Christian who haunt these nether realms you'll be glad I have not enjoined the obvious attempt at a red herring distraction at that thread...

For the atheists...I'll here give a description of the trinity in language even you can understand without a seminary degree, which at once explains it and shows it contains no contradictions.

I was asked specifically (I'll paraphrase) 'how could God possibly be three persons yet one entity, how could he be Father, Son, and Holy spirit, yet a single being. How can you not see a contradiction in this description of god?'

my answer...He does it the same way I do,

I am Dave, an entity with a body that I Dave control, my being distinct from the body I inhabit, as evinced by the fact that I control the body, it does not control me, demonstrating that I Dave, am a spiritual being. As such, I came into existence by an act of my father Hank, making me also a Son. As a Son, I also acted, and brought into being my Son, Frank. I AM all three, Father, Son, and Spirit, one entity incorporate and known as DAVE.

To me, I am a person who has several characteristics that make me unique, My son sees another person with characteristics even I don't see, and my father sees me better than I or my son, as yet a third person still different from our perceptions. I am different from each perspective, and yet still the same one person without contradiction. Father, Son, and Spirit. Me.

If I can be all three persons in one, how much more so can God?

Good night.

RE: The trinity.
Quote:making me also a Son

Nice try, asshole. Except you morons claim that the son is the father...which of course would make him a motherfucker.

Go blow jesus out your ass.
(October 20, 2011 at 9:52 pm)objectivitees Wrote: For the atheists...I'll here give a description of the trinity in language even you can understand without a seminary degree

Offence taken.

Good night.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 20, 2011 at 9:52 pm)objectivitees Wrote: my answer...He does it the same way I do,

I am Dave, an entity with a body that I Dave control, my being distinct from the body I inhabit, as evinced by the fact that I control the body, it does not control me, demonstrating that I Dave, am a spiritual being. As such, I came into existence by an act of my father Hank, making me also a Son. As a Son, I also acted, and brought into being my Son, Frank. I AM all three, Father, Son, and Spirit, one entity incorporate and known as DAVE.

Before we go further, may I ask why do you believe that your mind is not totally the product of your brain?

In order to disprove the notion that mind is not caused by the brain. Neuroscientist Steven Novella constructed six criteria to test the brain causing mind hypothesis. If just one of the these criteria aren't met, we can determine that brain does not cause mind.

Quote:1- Brain states will correlate to mental and behavioral states.

2- Brain maturity will correlate with mental and emotional maturity.

3- Changing the brain’s function (with drugs, electrical or magnetic stimulation, or other methods) will change mental function.

4- Damaging the brain with damage the mind – producing specific deficits that correlate to the area of the brain damaged.

5- There will be no documentable mental phenomena in the absence of brain function.

6- When the brain dies, mental function ends.
undefined
(October 20, 2011 at 9:52 pm)objectivitees Wrote: Well, for the few Christian who haunt these nether realms you'll be glad I have not enjoined the obvious attempt at a red herring distraction at that thread...

As I already explained, this is not a red herring but quite relevant to the discussion. In the context of our discussion Objectivitees, when you dismiss all the other god possibilities as illogical (in the context of TAG or some similar philoso-babble argument) you need to be prepared to defend your own.

I realize that it's accepted practice among the faithful of any religion to consider their own god to be the only one out there. Any apologetic argument for the existence of "God" is therefore always assumed to refer exclusively and implicitly to the one that your religion worships. Funny how the same apologetic arguments get recycled in Islam and other religions with the same implicit assumption.

Another practice among the faithful is to dismiss the other gods of other religions with the same skeptical thinking that atheists employ, yet refuse to apply the very same critical thinking to your own. This is classic special pleading.

In this forum, neither practice is given a pass. If you deride other god possibilities as "illogical", get ready to defend the rationality if your own.

Quote:my answer...He does it the same way I do,

I am Dave, an entity with a body that I Dave control, my being distinct from the body I inhabit, as evinced by the fact that I control the body, it does not control me, demonstrating that I Dave, am a spiritual being.

You can prove this claim, right? That you are "distinct" from the body you inhabit? That it does not "control" you? Even if we assume the existence of a soul, the body has hormones and other factors that influence our emotions and behaviors.

Quote:As such, I came into existence by an act of my father Hank, making me also a Son. As a Son, I also acted, and brought into being my Son, Frank. I AM all three, Father, Son, and Spirit, one entity incorporate and known as DAVE.

I am a business owner. I am a musician and composer. I am a husband. I'm a gamer. I'm a poster on this forum. Heck, I'm five different people and I'm just getting started.

Of course, we both know this is NOT what Christians mean when they say that Yahweh and Jesus are separate persons. Jesus has a separate will from Yahweh, his father. My musician identity doesn't have a separate will from my gamer identity. I don't pray to my businessman self. My businessman self doesn't speak in a booming voice from the sky introducing myself as a poster on this forum.

Analogy fail.

Next?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(October 20, 2011 at 9:52 pm)objectivitees Wrote: I am Dave, an entity with a body that I Dave control, my being distinct from the body I inhabit, as evinced by the fact that I control the body, it does not control me ...

Sorry. Wrong! Every thought in your head is generated by a chemical reaction that generates an electrical impulse to create a thought. Your body does control you. It is not a separate entity.

Try to stay awake for 6 days. You can rest on the seventh. You cannot do it, Your body controls you. Take speed to stay up and your body will retaliate with insanity. Your body does control you.

Try again. Better luck next time!
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(October 20, 2011 at 9:52 pm)objectivitees Wrote:

So on top of being imaginary, your god has a multiple personality disorder. 10-4.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Your imaginary friend can have whatever attributes you like.

That's the best thing about imaginary friends, they never disagree with you.Big Grin
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(October 20, 2011 at 11:51 pm)Jaysyn Wrote: So on top of being imaginary, your god has a multiple personality disorder. 10-4.

That explains the psychotic trends in the babble-book. Thanks for your insight. Big Grin
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(October 20, 2011 at 9:52 pm)objectivitees Wrote: I am Dave, an entity with a body that I Dave control, my being distinct from the body I inhabit, as evinced by the fact that I control the body, it does not control me, demonstrating that I Dave, am a spiritual being. As such, I came into existence by an act of my father Hank, making me also a Son. As a Son, I also acted, and brought into being my Son, Frank. I AM all three, Father, Son, and Spirit, one entity incorporate and known as DAVE.

[youtube]x56O4G8VsiA[/youtube]
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] The Trinity zwanzig 127 7308 January 23, 2021 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Refuting trinity. Mystic 35 5340 April 8, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  The Trinity Doctrine: Help me out, Christians GrandizerII 169 18001 February 9, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The Trinity and Mary vorlon13 52 14515 May 30, 2017 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Lek
  10 apologist mistakes about trinity Mystic 21 4111 April 2, 2016 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: athrock
  Where Did The Trinity Teaching Come From? Alter2Ego 13 4586 March 17, 2014 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Trinity old man 133 41504 September 19, 2013 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  The trinity Drich 246 89833 June 11, 2012 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Where Did the Trinity Teaching Come From? Alter2Ego 80 33824 June 6, 2012 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: parabola
  Trinity Nonsense DeistPaladin 23 17912 June 21, 2011 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist