Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where Did the Trinity Teaching Come From?
Where Did the Trinity Teaching Come From?
ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

The fabricated term "Godhead" goes hand in hand with the false trinity teaching that was officially introduced into Christianity by the ROMAN Catholics, beginning in 325 C.E. at the Council of Nicaea, when about 300 Catholic bishops met. At that time, Roman Emperor Constantine--a non-Christian who was not baptized until he lay dying--presided over the Nicaea Counsel and, as stated by the Encyclopedia Britannica:

"Constantine himself presided, ACTIVELY GUIDING THE DISCUSSIONS, and PERSONALLY proposed... the crucial formula expressing the relation of Christ to God in the creed issued by the council, [that Christ was] 'of one substance with the Father.' "

Keep in mind that Jesus died and returned to heaven in 33 C.E. and this idea that would later evolve into the trinity did not officially become Roman Catholic dogma until 325 C.E. (almost 300 years after Jesus left the earthly scene). Also keep in mind that the ROMANS who executed Jesus—prior to adopting Christianity as the state religion—had a long history of polytheism (worship of many gods). It was therefore a simple matter for the ROMAN Catholics to graft various pagan false teachings into their corrupted version of Christianity. One such teaching became the "Christian" version of trinity or worship of a triune/triad (three-in-one) god.

Christendom's trinity, written in Article I of The Catholic Faith, is defined as follows:

"There is but one living and true God, everlasting, without body, parts, or passions; of infinite power, wisdom, and goodness; the maker and preserver of all things both visible and indivisible. And in unity of this Godhead there be three Persons, of ONE SUBSTANCE, POWER, and ETERNITY; the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost."

Although there are no scriptures in the Judeo-Christian Bible to support this false teaching, the Trinity dogma has been the central doctrine of Christian churches for centuries.

This idea of a triune god was nothing new. It might surprise some to learn that among pagan nations that did not worship the God of the Judeo-Christian Bible, there were trinity gods in existence centuries before Jesus Christ appeared on earth in the 1st Century AD, and there were pagan trinities in existence during the 1st Century while Jesus was on earth. Below are three such examples, followed by the questions for discussion.

1. In the 2nd century B.C.E. (two centuries before Christ came to the earth), Egypt had a triad of gods consisting of (1) Horus, (2) Osiris, and (3) Isis.

[Image: thumbnail.aspx?q=5024236110153274&id=b57...8a4b42acb1]

2. In the 2nd century B.C.E. (two centuries before Christ came to the earth), Babylon had a triad of gods consisting of (1) Ishtar, (2) Sin, and (3) Shamash.

[Image: thumbnail.aspx?q=4899183870869711&id=eb4...aebf712daf]

3. In the 1st century C.E., Palmyra, which was an ancient city in Syria, had a triune god which consisted of (1) moon god, (2) Lord of Heavens, and (3) sun god.

[Image: sinbaalshaminshamash.jpg]

ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:
It is true Jesus is the WORD in that he serves as Jehovah's chief spokesman. Likewise, Jesus is a god, since "god" is simply a title that describes someone who is powerful. But he is not Almighty God Jehovah. The apostle Paul made it clear that the title "god" can apply to all sorts of individuals, as noted below:

"For even though there are those who are called 'gods,' whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are MANY 'gods' and MANY 'lords,'..."
(1 Corinthians 8:5)

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:
Is the Trinity a Bible teaching?
2. Did Jesus Christ, the founder of Christianity teach it?
3. Did his early apostles and disciples who accompanied him teach it?
4. Where does the word "Godhead" come from?
5. Does the word "Trinity" appear anywhere in the Bible?
RE: Where Did the Trinity Teaching Come From?
Quote:In the 2nd century B.C.E. (two centuries before Christ came to the earth), Egypt had a triad of gods consisting of (1) Horus, (2) Osiris, and (3) Isis.

These were NOT triune gods in the christian sense of three-but-one. Egypt had literally HUNDREDS of gods. There is no meaningful comparison.

Quote:The Christian doctrine of the Trinity defines God as three divine persons (Greek: ὑποστάσεις):[1] the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit. The three persons are distinct yet coexist in unity, and are co-equal, co-eternal and consubstantial (Greek: ὁμοούσιοι). Put another way, the three persons of the Trinity are of one being (Greek: οὐσία).[2] The Trinity is considered to be a mystery of Christian faith.[3]

Quote:The first of the early church fathers recorded as using the word Trinity was Theophilus of Antioch writing in the late second century. He defines the Trinity as God, His Word (Logos) and His Wisdom (Sophia)[66] in the context of a discussion of the first three days of creation. The first defence of the doctrine of the Trinity was in the early third century by the early church father Tertullian. He explicitly defined the Trinity as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and defended the Trinitarian theology against the "Praxean" heresy.[67]

Although there is much debate as to whether the beliefs of the Apostles were merely articulated and explained in the Trinitarian Creeds,[68] or were corrupted and replaced with new beliefs,[69][70] all scholars recognize that the Creeds themselves were created in reaction to disagreements over the nature of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. These controversies, however, were great and many, and took some centuries to be resolved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity#History
(May 23, 2012 at 1:12 am)padraic Wrote:
Quote:In the 2nd century B.C.E. (two centuries before Christ came to the earth), Egypt had a triad of gods consisting of (1) Horus, (2) Osiris, and (3) Isis.

These were NOT triune gods in the christian sense of three-but-one. Egypt had literally HUNDREDS of gods. There is no meaningful comparison.
Horus, Osiris, and Isis were always presented together, so their comparison to the "Christian" Trinity is right on point. The fact that their images are pictured together in my opening post is proof of that. If you don't believe me, do an Internet search for "Egyptian trinity" and see how many times those three will pop up rather than the other "literally HUNDREDS of gods" of ancient Egypt. Here is a weblink you can start with.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/im...an+trinity
(May 23, 2012 at 1:05 am)Alter2Ego Wrote: Although there are no scriptures in the Judeo-Christian Bible to support this false teaching
If you don't count every book in the New Testament, and much of the Old.

http://www.exchangedlife.com/Sermons/top...Once.shtml
http://www.scribd.com/doc/339275/Scriptu...he-Trinity

3rd-party reference:
Quote:110 AD. Ignatius of Antioch wrote,

"Wherefore also the Lord, when He sent forth the apostles to make disciples of all nations, commanded them to "baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost," not unto one [person] having three names, nor into three [persons] who became incarnate, but into three possessed of equal honour." (Letter to the Philadelphians, 2)

(May 23, 2012 at 1:05 am)Alter2Ego Wrote: ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

The fabricated term "Godhead" goes hand in hand with the false trinity teaching that was officially introduced into Christianity by the ROMAN Catholics, beginning in 325 C.E. at the Council of Nicaea, when about 300 Catholic bishops met. At that time, Roman Emperor Constantine--a non-Christian who was not baptized until he lay dying--presided over the Nicaea Counsel and, as stated by the Encyclopedia Britannica:

"Constantine himself presided, ACTIVELY GUIDING THE DISCUSSIONS, and PERSONALLY proposed... the crucial formula expressing the relation of Christ to God in the creed issued by the council, [that Christ was] 'of one substance with the Father.' "

Keep in mind that Jesus died and returned to heaven in 33 C.E. and this idea that would later evolve into the trinity did not officially become Roman Catholic dogma until 325 C.E. (almost 300 years after Jesus left the earthly scene). Also keep in mind that the ROMANS who executed Jesus—prior to adopting Christianity as the state religion—had a long history of polytheism (worship of many gods). It was therefore a simple matter for the ROMAN Catholics to graft various pagan false teachings into their corrupted version of Christianity. One such teaching became the "Christian" version of trinity or worship of a triune/triad (three-in-one) god.

Christendom's trinity, written in Article I of The Catholic Faith, is defined as follows:

"There is but one living and true God, everlasting, without body, parts, or passions; of infinite power, wisdom, and goodness; the maker and preserver of all things both visible and indivisible. And in unity of this Godhead there be three Persons, of ONE SUBSTANCE, POWER, and ETERNITY; the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost."

Although there are no scriptures in the Judeo-Christian Bible to support this false teaching, the Trinity dogma has been the central doctrine of Christian churches for centuries.

This idea of a triune god was nothing new. It might surprise some to learn that among pagan nations that did not worship the God of the Judeo-Christian Bible, there were trinity gods in existence centuries before Jesus Christ appeared on earth in the 1st Century AD, and there were pagan trinities in existence during the 1st Century while Jesus was on earth. Below are three such examples, followed by the questions for discussion.

1. In the 2nd century B.C.E. (two centuries before Christ came to the earth), Egypt had a triad of gods consisting of (1) Horus, (2) Osiris, and (3) Isis.

[Image: thumbnail.aspx?q=5024236110153274&id=b57...8a4b42acb1]

2. In the 2nd century B.C.E. (two centuries before Christ came to the earth), Babylon had a triad of gods consisting of (1) Ishtar, (2) Sin, and (3) Shamash.

[Image: thumbnail.aspx?q=4899183870869711&id=eb4...aebf712daf]

3. In the 1st century C.E., Palmyra, which was an ancient city in Syria, had a triune god which consisted of (1) moon god, (2) Lord of Heavens, and (3) sun god.

[Image: sinbaalshaminshamash.jpg]

ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:
It is true Jesus is the WORD in that he serves as Jehovah's chief spokesman. Likewise, Jesus is a god, since "god" is simply a title that describes someone who is powerful. But he is not Almighty God Jehovah. The apostle Paul made it clear that the title "god" can apply to all sorts of individuals, as noted below:

"For even though there are those who are called 'gods,' whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are MANY 'gods' and MANY 'lords,'..."
(1 Corinthians 8:5)

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:
Is the Trinity a Bible teaching?
2. Did Jesus Christ, the founder of Christianity teach it?
3. Did his early apostles and disciples who accompanied him teach it?
4. Where does the word "Godhead" come from?

You should be a little more careful in quoting verses, what I mean you should read the verses around the ones you quote, you could find some answers to your own questions.

1st Corinthians 8:4 Therefore concerning the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that there is no such thing as an idol in the world, and there is no God but one.
5) For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords,
6) yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things, and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him.
Though you pulled this out of the middle of a chapter on causing other Christians to stumble, it works, it works to show that the Father and Son are one and that we exist for and through God. So now we have scripture telling us that two of the three are one God.

As for your examples of three gods that's exactly what they are three gods of polytheistic religions. The ones that Paul was speaking of, gods who are of no consequence.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(May 23, 2012 at 1:53 am)Undeceived Wrote:
(May 23, 2012 at 1:05 am)Alter2Ego Wrote: Although there are no scriptures in the Judeo-Christian Bible to support this false teaching

If you don't count every book in the New Testament, and much of the Old.

http://www.exchangedlife.com/Sermons/top...Once.shtml
http://www.scribd.com/doc/339275/Scriptu...he-Trinity
ALTER2EGO -to- UNDECEIVED:
I'm sorry, but I don't do links. Don't take it personal, but this is what I tell everyone who thinks they can get off rebutting with their own words by presenting me with what somebody else said at a website. If you have a point to make, state it in your own words, briefly quote the main points from your source, and then provide the weblink in case I want to go check the source. That's what I do whenever I reference a source, and so I expect the same courtesy.
I hate to agree with G-C...so I won't. I'll just take issue with this particular bit of bullshit from the OP.

Quote:2. In the 2nd century B.C.E. (two centuries before Christ came to the earth), Babylon had a triad of gods consisting of (1) Ishtar, (2) Sin, and (3) Shamash.

You're making this shit up as you go along, aren't you? When a certain insignificant group of Canaanites who lived in "Jerusalem" or whatever it was called at the time were forcibly relocated to Babylon the chief god was Marduk...rendered as Merodach in your silly bible. 60 years later in the late 6th century the Zoroastrian Persians overran Babylon and held it until the Greek, Alexander the Great, took it from them. The Greeks learned a lot about Zoroastrianism from that...and later spread it to so-called Jews and their bastard xtian children. But even that doesn't matter because after Alexander's death his empire was split by his generals ( the Diadochi) and the larger part of Asia fell to Seleucus who founded the Seleucid Empire which steadily collapsed in short order as various Asian peoples rebelled.
Selecus built a new city...modestly named Seleucia, a trick he doubtless learned from Alex himself and moved the greater part of the population of Babylon to it c 275. By the time we get down to the mid second century where you have visions of Sin and Ishtar frolicking in the town the Parthian Empire captured the region and found Babylon little more than a deserted ruin.

Really. Where are you getting this shit from? You should be more inquisitive. You believe far too much.
(May 23, 2012 at 1:53 am)Undeceived Wrote: 3rd-party reference:
Quote:110 AD. Ignatius of Antioch wrote,

"Wherefore also the Lord, when He sent forth the apostles to make disciples of all nations, commanded them to "baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost," not unto one [person] having three names, nor into three [persons] who became incarnate, but into three possessed of equal honour." (Letter to the Philadelphians, 2)
ALTER2EGO -to- UNDECEIVED:
The mere mentioning of three entities in the same sentence does not equate to: "They are combined into one god." That's like saying the two former President Bushes (George H. Bush and George W. Bush) and Jeb Bush are a single person simply because their names are strung together in the same sentence.

Ignatius of Antioch was a Roman Catholic. The Roman Catholics are the people who started this false teaching about a 3-prong god, which was eventually formalized into official Catholic dogma in the 4th century AD. The apostles who accompanied Jesus Christ wrote under Divine inspiration from Jehovah God. When the last of them died, the inspired writings stopped. In other words, nothing the Roman Catholics wrote was written by inspiration from God. They were promoting their own corrupted view of scriptures due to the Romans' long history of polytheism (worship of many gods). When they adopted Christianity, they brought their pagan ideologies with them.

Heehee, this is gonna be fun to watch. May the best christian win Snacks
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(May 23, 2012 at 1:05 am)Alter2Ego Wrote: 1.[/b] Is the Trinity a Bible teaching? 2. Did Jesus Christ, the founder of Christianity teach it?
The specific word no, but the concept yes. (Perhaps because that specific word does not exist in Aramaic the spoken language of Christ) Christ Himself identifies The Father in heaven, Himself as the Son, and the Holy Spirit. When He said blaspheme of the Holy Spirit was the only unforgivable sin.

Quote:3. Did his early apostles and disciples who accompanied him teach it?
During the ministry of Christ no, it was not till after the day of Pentecost did they come to full revelation of the Holy Spirit of God (in acts chapter 2) Afterwords the Concept of the Holy Spirit is acknowledged and taught.

Quote:4. Where does the word "Godhead" come from?
These terms drive from a doctrine that tries to compile the whole of scriptural teaching in a singular easy to understand concept.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1321 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] The Trinity zwanzig 127 7378 January 23, 2021 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Refuting trinity. Mystic 35 5346 April 8, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  The Trinity Doctrine: Help me out, Christians GrandizerII 169 18021 February 9, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink vorlon13 11 2667 August 1, 2017 at 12:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Trinity and Mary vorlon13 52 14532 May 30, 2017 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Chris Brown should be come a Christian Tarasoft11 15 2471 September 7, 2016 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  10 apologist mistakes about trinity Mystic 21 4121 April 2, 2016 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: athrock
  Theists teaching children Foxaèr 20 2418 March 14, 2016 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer. SavedByGraceThruFaith 2761 751925 September 6, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie