Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 2:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did God create the universe?
RE: Why did God create the universe?
(June 6, 2012 at 5:59 pm)Drich Wrote:
(June 6, 2012 at 4:33 pm)cato123 Wrote: Name one, just one. You must provide one example where catholic doctrine teaches that there is no god. No god is the only atheist view on god. That's it.

Carlin was a self proclaimed atheist was he not? and his religious roots were based in Catholicism. That would make his views on God as an atheist based on what Catholicism teaches god to be. Now if you (being an atheist as well) can identify or support any questions or challenges based any work or material Carlin put together based on his knowledge of God then, it can be said that [at least apart of the] Catholic doctrine supports the Atheist view of God.

Hmmm, Now only if their were some way of tying you to some work or bit Carlin did based on his catholic based knowledge of God that you agreed with... If such a thing existed then maybe we could start there.Thinking

George Carlin was not and is not all atheists. Cato's response to you still stands. Find any doctrine taught by the catholic church that supports our view of god, or shut up.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
(June 7, 2012 at 4:48 am)Bravo Wrote:
(June 6, 2012 at 3:37 pm)BeeDeePee Wrote: He created the world to live in communion with him.
Best explanation so far. He was fed up wanking alone in the dark.

Now he has to wank alone in the light. He aint been laid in 2000 years. No wonder he's got such anger management issues.
"You don't need facts when you got Jesus." -Pastor Deacon Fred, Landover Baptist Church

™: True Christian is a Trademark of the Landover Baptist Church. I have no affiliation with this fine group of True Christians ™ because I can't afford their tithing requirements but would like to be. Maybe someday the Lord will bless me with enough riches that I am able to. 

And for the lovers of Poe, here's your winking smiley:  Wink
(June 5, 2012 at 3:50 pm)Drich Wrote:
(June 5, 2012 at 3:42 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: Pretty simple question that I've never gotten an answer to while I was a Christian. For what reason did God create the universe? Did he have a reason? Did he need to create the universe?

You have been given a window into His nature. After all apart of you was made in His image. So put yourself in a state of nothingness, and ask yourself would you remain there? if so how long before you decided to make a change well with in your ablity to do so?

No, we as a species have a "window" into human imagination.

Humans created god/gods/God/deities, in their image.

"If horses had gods they would look like horses" Xenophanes
(June 6, 2012 at 3:58 pm)Chuck Wrote: So he is three, and not one.
I've explained it before. http://atheistforums.org/thread-13159-po...#pid295077

(June 6, 2012 at 4:06 pm)Thor Wrote: Really? And was it also a "sign of his love" when he created the little beaties that cause smallpox, polio and malaria?
I don't know. I have no answer on your question.

(June 6, 2012 at 5:37 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Please provide a reason, not just an assertion of why he wanted.
And I said: God created the world to live in communion with him.

(June 6, 2012 at 5:24 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: Love?
[mod note, warning, graphic images]

I think you need glasses... or a psychiatric evaluation.
I replied to Thor that I have no answer on that question.
God damn this thread turned in to a child's flame war ROFLOL
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation. - A dusty old book that I found that must be completely true because someone wrote it down.
(June 6, 2012 at 4:06 pm)Thor Wrote: Really? And was it also a "sign of his love" when he created the little beaties that cause smallpox, polio and malaria?

Can you for once show me in scripture that God created these things: hint, you can't, not because you want, which by the way is also true, but it is not found anywhere in scriptures, I still dare you to try though and when you can't please stop making unfounded statements about God.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(June 18, 2012 at 3:16 am)Godschild Wrote:

Can you for once show me in scripture that God created these things: hint, you can't, not because you want, which by the way is also true, but it is not found anywhere in scriptures, I still dare you to try though and when you can't please stop making unfounded statements about God.

I thought your myth stated that your god created everything.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(June 18, 2012 at 3:18 am)Annik Wrote:
(June 18, 2012 at 3:16 am)Godschild Wrote: Can you for once show me in scripture that God created these things: hint, you can't, not because you want, which by the way is also true, but it is not found anywhere in scriptures, I still dare you to try though and when you can't please stop making unfounded statements about God.

I thought your myth stated that your god created everything.

Read the Genesis account and you will see, that is if you read very carefully.
By the way I thought you were not going to respond to my statements any more, I'm glad you changed your mind, really!
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Godschild Wrote:Can you for once show me in scripture that God created [smallpox, polio and malaria] [...]
(June 18, 2012 at 3:27 am)Godschild Wrote: Read the Genesis account and you will see [...]

Huh, you answered your own stupid question for once. Good job! Gold star!
[Image: hoviksig-1.png]
Ex Machina Libertas
(June 18, 2012 at 3:16 am)Godschild Wrote:

Isiah 45:7

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Now watch the "You're not reading it in context" bullshit start to flowWink
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did God play peek-a-boo? LinuxGal 36 3879 March 16, 2023 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 16771 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims zwanzig 177 23342 June 9, 2021 at 11:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 4672 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 7311 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 9906 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1978 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 10712 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Why, God? Why?! LadyForCamus 233 34284 June 5, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why did god allow people to be born after the fall ? possibletarian 367 75490 November 24, 2017 at 1:59 am
Last Post: possibletarian