Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 9:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question to Christians re humility
RE: Question to Christians re humility
I would like to suggest a moment of reflection as to how fucked up that is.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(September 30, 2012 at 7:41 pm)Darkstar Wrote: You openly admit you are nothing more than a slave to god...glad we cleared that up.
indeed.

Quote:And sometimes reasons won't follow and you'll find out you did something horrible because you never asked. Now let's see how that attitude would work out for you under Hitler...
I'm sorry i did not see how you made the leap from being a slave of God to a slave to hitler. We are told a slave can only have one Master... So again please explain.

Quote:Funny, he did 'god tricks' all of the time in the bible. Even Jesus did something as trivial as supply extra alcohol at a party!
Are you serious? You would demand God perform for you? yet you will not humble yourself to Him? Let see how that works for you.

I don't know as I care to get into why Christians consider atheists arrogant (or aggressive, or whatever). It seems largely a defense mechanism of sorts.

I was thinking about humility in general earlier today though. Humility appears to be postulated as a virtue in multiple world religions, Christianity, Buddhism, Taoism, and so forth. I think part of my Taoism and its appeal to me is that I'm not very humble by nature, and it's giving me a playbook for rewiring my brain.

I think that humility also appeals to secular people as well. The fact that one doesn't want to be viewed as arrogant seems to imply that humility of one sort or another is considered desirable.

So, what is humility, and why is it desirable? (or is it desirable?)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 30, 2012 at 11:19 pm)Drich Wrote: ...Are you serious? You would demand God perform for you? yet you will not humble yourself to Him? Let see how that works for you.

Yes. I would think that would be a perfectly reasonable for the infinitely powerful creator to do.

It would be quite simple:

1. Person asks for God to appear.
2. God appears.
3. Person believes.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(September 30, 2012 at 11:19 pm)Drich Wrote:
Quote:And sometimes reasons won't follow and you'll find out you did something horrible because you never asked. Now let's see how that attitude would work out for you under Hitler...
I'm sorry i did not see how you made the leap from being a slave of God to a slave to hitler. We are told a slave can only have one Master... So again please explain.

God orders multiple genocides in the bible, as did Hitler order genocide. Hitler tried to brainwash people, as does the church. Both involve blind obediance, the difference being that Hitler is known to exist and god isn't. P.S. Hitler killed the jews in the name of christianity*, so either god approved, didn't care, or was too weak to do anything about it.

* evidence for this: Religious views of Adolf Hitler
Christianity in Hitler's speeches.
Drich Wrote:
Quote:Funny, he did 'god tricks' all of the time in the bible. Even Jesus did something as trivial as supply extra alcohol at a party!
Are you serious? You would demand God perform for you? yet you will not humble yourself to Him? Let see how that works for you.

I'm just asking why he has deliberately hid and obsured his own existence since the invention of cameras.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Quote:Yes. Humble as a Slave is to his Master.

You'd make a great slave, Drippy. You believe anything Massa tells you.
teaearlgreyhot Wrote:...perform [Santa] 'tricks' to prove Himself before man.

I would actually like to know how 'Santa' gets around the world in one mere night. Is that too much to ask for?!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(October 1, 2012 at 12:41 am)FallentoReason Wrote:
teaearlgreyhot Wrote:...perform [Santa] 'tricks' to prove Himself before man.

I would actually like to know how 'Santa' gets around the world in one mere night. Is that too much to ask for?!

He has God perform a miracle every year to do it.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Drich Wrote:Are you serious? You would demand God perform for you?

He kind of already did when Mary demanded more wine, as Darkstar pointed out......
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
The slave to god thing is another oddity in my book. If we are mere slaves, why do we have free will. Seems like a bad design there. And that then spills over into why god created the universe; to what purpose does he need slaves? Another discussion I think.

However, back on the original question... I am an atheist. I am not demanding anything of god and I don't think I've ever seen an atheist doing so for the very obvious reason that we do not believe he exists. Any question I'd have are not directed at god, but at religious people who chose to believe.
blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” – John 20:26-29

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 9468 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hypothetical Question for Christians (involving aliens) Tiberius 26 4037 June 7, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question I have for Christians. Quick 45 8116 May 12, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  A single question for Christians Silver 30 6947 October 6, 2017 at 9:00 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Question for Christians regarding elimination of Sin ErGingerbreadMandude 11 2992 January 29, 2017 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker
  A Loaded Question for Christians chimp3 33 5602 December 19, 2016 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Question to Christians purplepurpose 72 9823 July 7, 2016 at 12:40 am
Last Post: Silver
  Reduced to a Piece of Clay: False Humility and Human Dignity Rhondazvous 63 11450 June 20, 2016 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 35609 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Hypothetical Question for the Christians Cecelia 7 1796 January 18, 2016 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Drich